johndoe333

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic lx
Country flag
This is my current seating position and i cant place my wrists over the top of the steering wheel. If i tilt the backrest forward one notch, i feel some pressure in my lower back and its not quite comfortable.

Am i sitting too reclined for normal driving?

Honda Civic 10th gen Is my seat too reclined? IMG_3045

Honda Civic 10th gen Is my seat too reclined? IMG_3044

Honda Civic 10th gen Is my seat too reclined? IMG_3028

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I kind of think driving position is a personal thing. Our seats aren't the best and what's a good setup for someone else may not work for you.

Having said that, it does look like you should reduce the seat back angle a bit.

OP
OP

johndoe333

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic lx
Country flag
I kind of think driving position is a personal thing. Our seats aren't the best and what's a good setup for someone else may not work for you.

Having said that, it does look like you should reduce the seat back angle a bit.
With some experimenting i find that if I move the seat back forward 1 notch, the hip angle becomes too closed so i move the seat bottom back 1 notch as well. Then i feel a bit too far from steering wheel again. sad

vitooooo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 VIC
Country flag
this is kind of like asking if you should sleep on your side or on your back,

do what is comfortable

BigRedtheGinger

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 6MT, 1988 Honda CRX SI, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 V8
Country flag
Like the other guys said, do what's comfortable for you. For what it's worth, my driving position is pretty similar to what you show in those pics. I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but under the steering column, there is a lever you can pull down and adjust the steering wheel in/out up/down. If you adjust that, you should be able to sit comfortably, and have your wrists reach the top of the wheel.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Why do you need your wrist all the way over the top? Is it so you can plop your wrist lazy style on top? Just wondering

Last edited:

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
You might want to consider to adjust the steering wheel height and distance from you body.

The steering wheel height and distance from your body can be adjusted so that you can comfortably grip the steering wheel in an appropriate driving posture.
1. Pull the steering wheel adjustment lever up.
2. Move the steering wheel up, down, in, or out.
3. Push the steering wheel adjustment lever down to lock the steering wheel in position.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You might want to consider to adjust the steering wheel height and distance from you body.

The steering wheel height and distance from your body can be adjusted so that you can comfortably grip the steering wheel in an appropriate driving posture.
3. Push the steering wheel adjustment lever down to lock the steering wheel in position.
I was thinking that 10gens had tilt AND telescoping steering columns, and was about to suggest that.

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
Your 9 and 3 grip looks good.

BTW we can all chip in for some longer shorts for you buddy. :)

OP
OP

johndoe333

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic lx
Country flag
Why do you need your wrist all the way over the top? Is it so you can plop your wrist lazy style on top? Just wondering
I think its a guideline that if your wrists can reach the top of the steering wheel, you wont be stretching your arms straight or leaning forward during a turn.

Your 9 and 3 grip looks good.

BTW we can all chip in for some longer shorts for you buddy. :)
Shorts got bunched up, i promise it is long enough.

I have the steering wheel pulled all the way out, wish it could extend another inch or two.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you have long legs and short arms? I'm 6'3 in a Si coupe and with the seat back all the way I can get my wrist over the steering wheel least 6 inches even with center dash vents.

Yours seat is a little more reclined than mine but I actually prefer my seat pretty straight up in this car.

OP
OP

johndoe333

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic lx
Country flag
Do you have long legs and short arms? I'm 6'3 in a Si coupe and with the seat back all the way I can get my wrist over the steering wheel least 6 inches even with center dash vents.
When you say seat back, do you mean the forward/backwards of the seat bottom or the reclining of the backrest?

Could you post a pic, just curious to see.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just the bottom part. The seat is pretty straight up.
Honda Civic 10th gen Is my seat too reclined? IMG_20220812_160216762

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Whatever is most comfortable for you and still able to drive car is what I'd say do.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
There may be a safety issue if you're too reclined. In a front end collision there is an increased risk of "submarining" out of the seatbelt and kneecapping yourself. Suggest researching the issue and see if it's applicable to your set-up (vehicle and seating posture/position).
Sponsored