First Name
SaĆÆd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring White Pearl
Country flag
Hi guys,
I took my 2019 civic 4 doors for an oil change and general maintenance. The dealer does all the work on the car since it is still under warranty. They told me that my rear rotors have 4mm of thread left and they need to be replaced when they get to 3mm or under. They want 500$ (canadian) to change them. My car has only 38000km, is this wear normal or is there a problem with the car? Or should I just wait until I get a sound or less braking power before I do a brake job?
The front rotors have 6mm left
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17ā€™ Si FC3, 17ā€™ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22ā€™ RL RTL-E
Country flag
You mean the brake pads? Your rotors should outlast your pads by awhile unless they are warped from excessive heat.

The stock brake pads last a long time with normal use. My brake pads still have a lot of life left, even at 60,000 miles. It is possible that you use the brakes more than the average person would.

You could jack the car up and remove the wheels yourself to get a good look at the pads.

OP
OP
mechaniconsunday
First Name
SaĆÆd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You mean the brake pads? Your rotors should outlast your pads by awhile unless they are warped from excessive heat.

The stock brake pads last a long time with normal use. My brake pads still have a lot of life left, even at 60,000 miles. It is possible that you use the brakes more than the average person would.

You could jack the car up and remove the wheels yourself to get a good look at the pads.
I dont use the brakes that much, i do mostly city driving around 10 to 15km/day many stops so for sure I brake when required by law ? the technician at honda said : your rotors are almost done.
I think they wanna rip me off, I wont change anything there since i have only 6 months left on the full warranty. I will buy a set of new pads and replace them myself in a few months

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17ā€™ Si FC3, 17ā€™ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22ā€™ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Yeah that doesnā€™t sounds right at all. This is a Honda dealership?

OP
OP
mechaniconsunday
First Name
SaĆÆd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah that doesnā€™t sounds right at all. This is a Honda dealership?
Yeah it's a dealership in Montreal, I bought the car there and always went there for oil changes and other maintenance.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To answer the question posed in your post header: yes. always. Unless you personally know a family member or friend (and you have a good relationship with them), yes, the dealership will always try to squeeze very last cent out of folks.

If there is any possibility, do your own work. Not only is it far less expensive, you eliminate a loose-canon variable, and keeping ā€˜maintenance recordsā€™ doesnā€™t hold the weight it used to, so, no issue there.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
This brake change doesn't surprise me, we had to precede this repair on a 2016 Civic with very low mileage. The brakes were rusty right out of the dealership when we bought it.

Same thing with my 2018 Civic.
I think having the brakes greased right out of the dealership the problem might have been avoided.
I dealt with my small town mechanic who I know well. Cheap and honest.

REBELXSi

SeƱor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
The dealer does all the work on the car since it is still under warranty.
This isn't a thing. Now, they might try to scare you into thinking it's a thing because they're scum bags but it's not.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just had the rear rotors and pads replaced a few days ago. There was abnormal wear on them. My car only has less than 33,000 km on it, yet the outer pads were worn out, and the outer rotor surfaces were badly scored. I've noticed it last year, and probably noticed it even earlier but didn't think much of it at the time.

I think this is a defect. Problem is, it is also a wear item, which usually arent' covered by warranties. However, in my case the wear was distinctly assymetrical. The inner pads were hardly worn at all, which is appropriate given how low the mileage is.

I bought new rotors and pads last year, planning on doing it myself. Made two attempts, but some of the bolts just did not want to co-operate, so I ended up taking it to the dealer. They used my parts, so I only paid labour, which worked out to $200.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hi guys,I took my 2019 civic 4 doors for an oil change and general maintenance. The dealer does all the work on the car since it is still under warranty. They told me that my rear rotors have 4mm of thread left and they need to be replaced when they get to 3mm or under...
Unfortunately we live in the "rust belt" (really the salt belt) - Honda rotors rust and rear calipers tend to seize unless cleaned and lubricated fairly often. We're on our third set of rear pads/rotors and have at least 2 rear calipers seize. The fronts are still original at 98,000 miles

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're able to, I'd suggest doing the brakes and rotors yourself.

My local Honda dealership also wanted $500 for a rotor surface renewal and brake pad change.

I spent $150ish on parts and did it myself at home. At that point I didn't have a jack or jack stands and did 1 wheel at a time. Takes about 1-2 hours but saves a ton of money.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As sad as it is to say, the real question is: which dealership doesn't rip you off?
Sponsored