Is my CVT Broken?? Video of grinding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring 1.5t
Country flag
Hey, my warranty is almost over and have noticed that near 2100 rpm the car grinds. Seems like it's from the front right of the car(assuming im inside). Fully stock, no mods at all. When revved to 2k rpm it does the same noise however the noise seems to go away when at higher RPMs. Never really use sport mode but when I did today the car was grinding hard. Watch the video till the end and you will hear how hard this car grinds. I have taken this car to the dealer many times for the grinding while revving and they said it could just be heat plates vibrating. Now, this is doing it while driving and is quite annoying. Car drives normal, slight whine from CVT. Please share opinions and ask questions. I changed the transmission fluid approx 10k kms ago and the oil 1000km ago. Watch the video till the end (where the grinding gets bad). This is a 2016 Honda civic Touring with the 1.5 turbo CVT

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
So the CVT is beneath your feet. I think your CVT sounds normal.

You do however, have a vibration issue in your dash. Something is loose. The dealer needs to find a solution. It does sound like ass.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No loss of p

No loss of power when acceleration? No jerky? Seems to be something else other than the cvt to me, sounds like something to do with the suspension but u never know
I have been having another issue where my car loses traction after acceleration and goes to limp mode. car rev gets stuck under 1000k rpm and feels like its about to stall(car literally vibrates) then fixes itself

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
There is no reason to call it “grinding“ and no basis to think it has anything to do with the CVT. Sounds like vibration or rattling. Finding the source of this sound may be troublesome for dealer mechanics, because they may not be paid for their time investigating this, so they dismiss it. Try to investigate yourself, but If it’s something inside the dasboard it might be quite expensive to diagnose and fix.
I have been having another issue where my car loses traction after acceleration and goes to limp mode. car rev gets stuck under 1000k rpm and feels like its about to stall(car literally vibrates) then fixes itself
What did they say about this?

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There is no reason to call it “grinding“ and no basis to think it has anything to do with the CVT. Sounds like vibration or rattling. Finding the source of this sound may be troublesome for dealer mechanics, because they may not be paid for their time investigating this, so they dismiss it. Try to investigate yourself, but If it’s something inside the dasboard it might be quite expensive to diagnose and fix.
Im confused as to why only 2000 revs would cause this noise. if it was an interior piece that is loose shouldn't it be louder with higher revs?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If you're going into limp mode, are you getting an error code?

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here is another video. ITs hard to tell but you can see how my rev is stuck at 900 rpm, the fuel econmy is going up but the car was slowing down. my foot was half way on the pedal and during this the car shakes and vibrates with no power. after a couple of seconds, went back to normal. also it happened longer than the video shows because it takes time to unplug my phone and start recording the issue

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you're going into limp mode, are you getting an error code?
never seen an error code. Honda tried to see the issue but cant replicate it. It happens to me atleast once everyweek.

TriangleHeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe (FC4, K20C2)
Country flag
Agreed with the others, the location of the CVT is on the driver side directly in front of your legs anyway, the sound appears to be from the passenger side. It sounds like something metallic laying on metal and vibrating on top of it.

Im confused as to why only 2000 revs would cause this noise. if it was an interior piece that is loose shouldn't it be louder with higher revs?
Not necessarily. The vibration needs to be at a certain cadence in order for something laying on top to resonate perfectly. It's not linear in relationship to the revs, it's more parabolic.

If you had a passenger with you that could move their head, they could probably zero in on it quickly. Was a coin dropped behind the dash or into the vents maybe? Might have to start taking dashboard parts off. Maybe start at the glovebox, then peel back the carpet on the passenger floor board?

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
+1 for a resonance/vibration.

If it were me; I'd remove the glovebox door and get someone to rev the engine while I inspected the area behind the dash. It does kinda' sound like something fell backward out of the glovebox (or down a vent) and is making a noisy racket.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks guys. Was a little worried for the CVT but if its just something loose then itll be an easy fix for the most part.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
does anyone know whats happening in the second video I posted. The car locks the rpm?
\

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
does anyone know whats happening in the second video I posted. The car locks the rpm?
\
This and the lack of any codes (assuming the dealer service did the scan and any checks for obvious things) makes it look like it could be a transmission related issue. If it was the limp mode it i would expect there would be some codes. Maybe it would help to stop and scan just after it happens.
You expressed a belief before that rough driving style shouldn't break the powertrain in a stock car and any decent automatic transmission should last at least to 250 Mm no matter how you drive it. I don't believe it's true.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This and the lack of any codes (assuming the dealer service did the scan and any checks for obvious things) makes it look like it could be a transmission related issue. If it was the limp mode it i would expect there would be some codes. Maybe it would help to stop and scan just after it happens.
You expressed a belief before that rough driving style shouldn't break the powertrain in a stock car and any decent automatic transmission should last at least to 250 Mm no matter how you drive it. I don't believe it's true.
starting to rethink that to be honest. But only for CVTs and believe that regular autos will last long even with abuse as long as fluids are changed.

xTWISTEDWAYZx

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic touring 1.5t
Country flag
Here is another video. ITs hard to tell but you can see how my rev is stuck at 900 rpm, the fuel econmy is going up but the car was slowing down. my foot was half way on the pedal and during this the car shakes and vibrates with no power. after a couple of seconds, went back to normal. also it happened longer than the video shows because it takes time to unplug my phone and start recording the issue
I've had my car go in and out of limp mode before but this was due to what they system thought was a misfire but then changed its mind or so thats what guess it did. Most the time the engine light doesn't go away until i shut it off and back on. This issue for me is irrelevant to your issue here but just the system going into limp mode, it can come back out within seconds. I can even see the engine light come on and flash and vanish!

The grinding noise from your video, the type of vibration is dependent on factors which speed is a thing or even rpms, tire balance, even the type of tires. They may show up only at these rpms and speeds. Its definitely something loose more towards the glove box or center console. I feel a plastic piece in my center console, in an attempt to stop it doing what it does, i shoved my power wires in there with it to run to the back, shut it up lol .

Not saying its that but these interiors on these 10th gens are a shit show for those of us who hate those types of noises. i'm interested to know the issue however