Is my alignment off or is there some other issue?

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure how to proceed as you apparently need more parts to complete the set-up and then get the rear into proper alignment. Was everything good before you started making changes to the suspension?
Yes everything was good prior. Only started having trouble after install and aligning.
Sponsored

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm in a similar situation. My car pulls to the right slightly, so I drive with the steering wheel about 2 degrees CCW. I got an alignment about a month ago, and it only took 2 days for the alignment to go out of whack again (and that's with the biggest bumps being entrances to driveways). It's been doing this for a year now. Even last summer, I got an alignment and a few days later, it's pulling to the right. Idk if something's broken or the Civic's alignment is sensitive. I've hit big bumps in my other cars, but have perfect alignments.
Don't mean to come off wrong but it's relieving to see someone else in the same situation.

Does the alignment literally go off whenever you hit bumps or is your car just still leaning a certain direction?

I talked to the mechanic today and he's extremely reputable and friendly so I trust him when he told me that my alignments were perfect. He told me that he's seen this issue before and it's especially common in Hondas where the car will not drive 100% straight after suspension (8 second rule).

He said the problem could possibly be uneven tire wear, if it's not that then it's possible that one of the springs is binding. I'm really hoping it's just tire wear, as I don't really want to go through with putting stock suspension back on then springs back on.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
One or the other wasn't done correctly - The alignment printout tells a different story than "perfect".

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One or the other wasn't done correctly - The alignment printout tells a different story than "perfect".
Is it not possible to adjust the caster? I was told not.

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm in a similar situation. My car pulls to the right slightly, so I drive with the steering wheel about 2 degrees CCW. I got an alignment about a month ago, and it only took 2 days for the alignment to go out of whack again (and that's with the biggest bumps being entrances to driveways). It's been doing this for a year now. Even last summer, I got an alignment and a few days later, it's pulling to the right. Idk if something's broken or the Civic's alignment is sensitive. I've hit big bumps in my other cars, but have perfect alignments.
Btw, do you have camber arms installed? I'm talking to a local xgen and he said he dealt with the same issue. The alignment guy didn't think it'd work but he went ahead and got them installed and it corrected it.

If you don't have them on I'm thinking camber arms are the only way to naturally fix the front caster

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Btw, do you have camber arms installed? I'm talking to a local xgen and he said he dealt with the same issue. The alignment guy didn't think it'd work but he went ahead and got them installed and it corrected it.

If you don't have them on I'm thinking camber arms are the only way to naturally fix the front caster
What suspension mods have you made?

Iā€™m trying to understand the scenario based upon the modifications that you have made. The front caster should not deviate so much because it is fixed. On the strut mount, you will see the 3 top, strut nuts that hold the strut assembly in place. Additionally, youā€™ll see a 4th stud. This aligns the strut. If you have removed that stud (because I think it is removable on the OEM mount), then your caster will largely depend on those 3 bolts secured with the nuts. This is my understanding of the caster for the OEM setup.

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What suspension mods have you made?

Iā€™m trying to understand the scenario based upon the modifications that you have made. The front caster should not deviate so much because it is fixed. On the strut mount, you will see the 3 top, strut nuts that hold the strut assembly in place. Additionally, youā€™ll see a 4th stud. This aligns the strut. If you have removed that stud (because I think it is removable on the OEM mount), then your caster will largely depend on those 3 bolts secured with the nuts. This is my understanding of the caster for the OEM setup.
Only D2 Springs. I won't be home till tomorrow so I will update then, but I'm not entirely sure if the stud is still there I had a buddy install my springs.

I understand that if you remove that 4th pin, the caster can be slightly adjustable. Could my car leaning left be due to possibly that 4th pin not being there?

waterudoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI HFP, 3V Mustang, G37xS
Country flag
Don't mean to come off wrong but it's relieving to see someone else in the same situation.

Does the alignment literally go off whenever you hit bumps or is your car just still leaning a certain direction?

I talked to the mechanic today and he's extremely reputable and friendly so I trust him when he told me that my alignments were perfect. He told me that he's seen this issue before and it's especially common in Hondas where the car will not drive 100% straight after suspension (8 second rule).

He said the problem could possibly be uneven tire wear, if it's not that then it's possible that one of the springs is binding. I'm really hoping it's just tire wear, as I don't really want to go through with putting stock suspension back on then springs back on.
My car turns to the right all the time. It's very slight. Enough that I don't notice it unless I'm thinking about it. I don't think it's my tires because the problem was still there with my winter wheel set. My suspension is 100% stock. HFP dampers and springs.

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My car turns to the right all the time. It's very slight. Enough that I don't notice it unless I'm thinking about it. I don't think it's my tires because the problem was still there with my winter wheel set. My suspension is 100% stock. HFP dampers and springs.
Got it thanks for the response. Like wise for me except it's a gradual turning left. I don't notice it at all locally but definitely when I'm going fast. I just placed an order for rear arms and a strut bar, will let you know how it goes as this had fixed the issue for another local xgen.

waterudoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI HFP, 3V Mustang, G37xS
Country flag
Got it thanks for the response. Like wise for me except it's a gradual turning left. I don't notice it at all locally but definitely when I'm going fast. I just placed an order for rear arms and a strut bar, will let you know how it goes as this had fixed the issue for another local xgen.
Yeah it doesn't bother me, although it probably should. I'll go for another alignment next year lol

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Only D2 Springs. I won't be home till tomorrow so I will update then, but I'm not entirely sure if the stud is still there I had a buddy install my springs.

I understand that if you remove that 4th pin, the caster can be slightly adjustable. Could my car leaning left be due to possibly that 4th pin not being there?
The alignment pin on the strut mount allows for a (+/-) 5Ā° adjustment, as shown in the service manual.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is my alignment off or is there some other issue? UOpwvXB

Reference (E) is the body of the strut. Note the inverse of the angle made between angle (A) and the angle made with the strut body. Your technician should be able to make the proper adjustments knowing this information.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
The alignment pin on the strut mount allows for a (+/-) 5Ā° adjustment, as shown in the service manual.

UOpwvXB.jpg

Reference (E) is the body of the strut. Note the inverse of the angle made between angle (A) and the angle made with the strut body. Your technician should be able to make the proper adjustments knowing this information.
You misunderstand the part of the service manual you are quoting - this refers to assembling the strut when the spring is changed and has nothing to do with suspension alignment.

The caster is not adjustable on these vehicles. Per the service manual alignment directions, there is nothing to do if the caster is out of range except look for damaged or bent suspension parts.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is my alignment off or is there some other issue? 1590020703739

The pin is a camber adjustment pin. When you remove it, the front camber can be adjusted a very small amount. This has little to no effect on the front caster.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is my alignment off or is there some other issue? 1590020828232

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
You misunderstand the part of the service manual you are quoting - this refers to assembling the strut when the spring is changed and has nothing to do with suspension alignment.

The caster is not adjustable on these vehicles. Per the service manual alignment directions, there is nothing to do if the caster is out of range except look for damaged or bent suspension parts.

1590020703739.png

The pin is a camber adjustment pin. When you remove it, the front camber can be adjusted a very small amount. This has little to no effect on the front caster.

1590020828232.png
Thanks for the correction - the caster appeared fixed, but the service manual information on the assembly made a relationship between the angle on the mounting base and the damper. This made me re-think that maybe there was some very limited adjustment possible.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Thanks for the correction - the caster appeared fixed, but the service manual information on the assembly made a relationship between the angle on the mounting base and the damper. This made me re-think that maybe there was some very limited adjustment possible.
I read the very same part of the service manual before installing my springs. I still have yet to fully understand why the angle of the strut top mount has to do with installation - I am unsure if they believe the rotation of the strut piston matters for the internal workings of the strut, or if the angle matters for pivoting the strut regarding steering, or something else.

It is kind of confusing and I still have no real conclusion as to what the angle is supposed to affect. It appears to simply be a tolerance you can install the strut top within.

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi all just an update, got my rear arms installed and had it dialed to the OEM specs, running -1.6 in the rears evenly. My steering is now perfect and can drive straight once again, didn't have to make any adjustments to my steering wheel after repositioning it.

My alignment guy and also a different mechanic both didn't believe that it would work, alignment guy said he's never seen it before and the mechanic said he didn't think it would work and that I would need front arms as well.

So incredibly happy that this all worked out, didn't even have to get another 4w alignment.
Sponsored