First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Based on the photos, I see about $8K in repairs - about 50% of the car's value of $16K. That's not enough for an insurance company to declare it a total loss.

The car will be worth about $13K with a history of repaired damage. If you can recover diminution of value and the cost of repairs, it'll cost the insurance company about $11K - that's still less than them giving you a check for $16K.

Unless there is significantly more damage than what appears in the photos, I would be very surprised if this would be considered a total loss.
8K??? You must be looking at different pics. That's totaled. OP, glad your ok. Looks like the car protected you well. Good luck.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That sucks man. Hopefully they'll total it... get another car w/o a history of a crash. Plus, I don't think a car is ever quite the same again. Even if it doesn't manifest itself in driving, I'm not sure that once the metal is subjected to that large shock that it doesn't fatigue it in such a way that makes it not hold up as well in a follow up accident that you don't know may happen down the road.

The most important thing: You walked away w/o a scratch.

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
Definitely totaled. The unibody frame is clearly compromised and will cost a fortune to fix.

It looks like the car held up quite well for 40-50mph. Then again, a Corolla isn't exactly a very large car...glad you didn't get hit by an SUV or truck. Would have been a lot worse.

CDub_1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX-L Navi, 1995 Accord EX-L
Country flag
Don’t mean to highjack your thread but I too had an unfortunate situation with my Civic.

Back on Nov 13 I was trying to get on the highway and the entry to get on the damn thing goes from two lanes down to one. So I’m speeding up but there’s a truck next to me not letting me over. Now on this particular entry point there is an “island” just to the right which splits off as sort of a median between the entry road to get on the interstate and another that leads to a one way street that leads into a neighborhood. This thing is a disgrace because if it wasn’t there I could have had enough time to brake and let the other by since he wasn’t going to stop for me.

Anyway we both were fighting for the same piece of road, I got squeezed out, hit the curb of the island with my right rear, slid over and slammed the left side curb of the on ramp, and jumped back over the right side curb on the on ramp.

Left front of car is a wreck, left side airbags deployed and my rear suspension thrown all out of whack.

I’m due to get my car back possibly late next week. My estimate was already at $14K and I hoped it would be totaled but it wasn’t the case. This is following up my car getting obliterated by $10K in hail damage during the spring (thanks, Oklahoma).

My poor car has had it rough this year :(

Honda Civic 10th gen Is my 2016 Civic EX-T Totaled? 100CF5D1-CA59-44C5-8237-82C3F0C06490
Honda Civic 10th gen Is my 2016 Civic EX-T Totaled? 7A8412E5-8B64-4F48-BC73-9E373E8BE0AF
Honda Civic 10th gen Is my 2016 Civic EX-T Totaled? 416E5E05-8E21-4833-A60E-A7E2CEA677C2

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
Don’t mean to highjack your thread but I too had an unfortunate situation with my Civic.

Back on Nov 13 I was trying to get on the highway and the entry to get on the damn thing goes from two lanes down to one. So I’m speeding up but there’s a truck next to me not letting me over. Now on this particular entry point there is an “island” just to the right which splits off as sort of a median between the entry road to get on the interstate and another that leads to a one way street that leads into a neighborhood. This thing is a disgrace because if it wasn’t there I could have had enough time to brake and let the other by since he wasn’t going to stop for me.

Anyway we both were fighting for the same piece of road, I got squeezed out, hit the curb of the island with my right rear, slid over and slammed the left side curb of the on ramp, and jumped back over the right side curb on the on ramp.

Left front of car is a wreck, left side airbags deployed and my rear suspension thrown all out of whack.

I’m due to get my car back possibly late next week. My estimate was already at $14K and I hoped it would be totaled but it wasn’t the case. This is following up my car getting obliterated by $10K in hail damage during the spring (thanks, Oklahoma).

My poor car has had it rough this year :(

100CF5D1-CA59-44C5-8237-82C3F0C06490.jpeg
7A8412E5-8B64-4F48-BC73-9E373E8BE0AF.jpeg
416E5E05-8E21-4833-A60E-A7E2CEA677C2.jpeg
I'm surprised that wasn't more than 10k worth of damage. Sorry bout the accident. It always sucks.

As far as OP's car goes. I would estimate that damage well above the value of the vehicle due to where the other vehicle hit.
I got in an accident earlier this year that literally was just the front bumper cover, headlights, and foglights and the damages were 5k.

CDub_1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX-L Navi, 1995 Accord EX-L
Country flag
I'm surprised that wasn't more than 10k worth of damage. Sorry bout the accident. It always sucks.

As far as OP's car goes. I would estimate that damage well above the value of the vehicle due to where the other vehicle hit.
I got in an accident earlier this year that literally was just the front bumper cover, headlights, and foglights and the damages were 5k.
Just to clarify, the estimate for the damage in the pictures above is at $14K.

The $10K I meantioned was in an earlier bout with Mother Nature. I had to get virtually every panel, light housing and the windshield replaced....roof, hood you name it. It was bad.

OP’s car looks jacked too, looks like he took a worse hit than I did seeing as I didn’t come into contact with another car. Still, these situations suck but the deal is the car is well built with safety in mind and as long as we can walk out with only a minor bruise I’d say the car did its job. :headbang:

306FK7

Honda Employee & FK7 Owner
First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would be highly surprised if that wasn't a total loss. Here's a car at our dealership that was in an accident during PDI with very similar damage (albeit maybe more), immediate write off.

(photos removed by request)

View attachment 79435

View attachment 79436

Last edited:
OP
OP
dekmo

dekmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-T
I would be highly surprised if that wasn't a total loss. Here's a car at our dealership that was in an accident during PDI with very similar damage (albeit maybe more), immediate write off.

View attachment 79435

View attachment 79436
That looks similar to the damages of my car, except on my car the front passenger side and front wheel took most of the hit. But I'm not sure if the lower body frame of my car took any hit, from the pictures, it only has some few scratches. Don't know if that will be a deciding factor in this case. I just hope it's a total loss. I really don't have time to wait for the repairs and definitely won't feel safe driving around in this car even after the repairs. Considering this car is FWD and the amount of damage on my right wheel, I doubt it'll be the same.

The guy that towed my car, told me it was very hard to move my car so he could tow. I'm surprised he even tried to move it, both of my front wheels are facing outwards.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Yeah, seriously...I wonder how many parts you can get away with in such a scenario...
If you notify insurance and they see the vehicle, you can discuss that with the insurance company but I wouldn't take a thing off the car if they have seen it. Second, if they haven't seen it and the adjuster shows up to inspect a t-bone and there are no headlights in the car...well, be prepared to file a police report and pray they don't find the lights in your possession. :) They are valuing the car by what it sits at now, so removing anything would not be a smart idea without asking about their policy on it.

OP
OP
dekmo

dekmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-T
Hey guys, just posting the final update on the situation of the car. So the adjuster looked at my car and decided it would be a total loss. Which was what I wanted, the car wasn't even taken apart. The body shop estimate was around $13k. It took a while to get the offer from the insurance but they came back with a market value of $18k for my car, exactly what I expected it to be. Thanks everybody.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Hey guys, just posting the final update on the situation of the car. So the adjuster looked at my car and decided it would be a total loss. Which was what I wanted, the car wasn't even taken apart. The body shop estimate was around $13k. It took a while to get the offer from the insurance but they came back with a market value of $18k for my car, exactly what I expected it to be. Thanks everybody.
The cost to repair was 13k and the market value is 18k? Was that 13k in labor and plus parts?

Am I missing something?

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Even though the pictures don't look too bad, where it was stuck between the front and rear door it probably did some damage to the frame. I was going to guess it was a total loss myself.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good news. You can get yourself another car w/a clean history.

Thanks for the update. Good luck in your next car-quest.
Sponsored