Is my 2016 Civic EX-T Totaled?

dekmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-T
So here I'm exactly 2 years later since I bought my 2016 Honda Civic Ex-T. I was going home around midnight, making a left turn on a green arrow, mid way through I saw a car coming at me at a high speed, I tried to speed up but unfortunately even my turbo couldn't help me avoid the accident. I ended up getting T-Boned by a 2017 Toyota Corolla running a red light going maybe 40-50 mph. I was the only one in the car and thankfully I walked out without a scratch. Can't say the same about the other guy, he was taken to the hospital but he's okay now.

I've posted pictures of my car by the look of it I hope it's totaled because the car has lost all it's value the moment it got it. So I'm here to see what you guys think and also get some advice on how I could get my insurance to declare it a total loss.

A little back story the car was moved to body shop of my choice, the guy told me by just looking that it's going to be a total loss, but can't be sure without taking the car apart. Meanwhile, the insurance said they're going to send an adjuster. I gave the adjuster a call, and then he asked me if it's going to be a total loss, and I told him yeah, but he said he's going to have to see the car which is next week.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is my 2016 Civic EX-T Totaled? IMG_2502

Honda Civic 10th gen Is my 2016 Civic EX-T Totaled? IMG_2500

Honda Civic 10th gen Is my 2016 Civic EX-T Totaled? InkedIMG_2508_LI

Honda Civic 10th gen Is my 2016 Civic EX-T Totaled? IMG_2515

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
FYI, no photos were posted.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
So here I'm exactly 2 years later since I bought my 2016 Honda Civic Ex-T. I was going home around midnight, making a left turn on a green arrow, mid way through I saw a car coming at me at a high speed, I tried to speed up but unfortunately even my turbo couldn't help me avoid the accident. I ended up getting T-Boned by a 2017 Toyota Corolla running a red light going maybe 40-50 mph. I was the only one in the car and thankfully I walked out without a scratch. Can't say the same about the other guy, he was taken to the hospital but he's okay now.

I've posted pictures of my car by the look of it I hope it's totaled because the car has lost all it's value the moment it got it. So I'm here to see what you guys think and also get some advice on how I could get my insurance to declare it a total loss.

A little back story the car was moved to body shop of my choice, the guy told me by just looking that it's going to be a total loss, but can't be sure without taking the car apart. Meanwhile, the insurance said they're going to send an adjuster. I gave the adjuster a call, and then he asked me if it's going to be a total loss, and I told him yeah, but he said he's going to have to see the car which is next week.
I don't think uploading the pictures worked, as I don't see them.

Based on purely what you said, I would trust the body shop guy. Pictures would help though.

OP
OP
dekmo

dekmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-T
I was trying to upload it, but you guys should be able to see it now.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
"So I'm here to see what you guys think and also get some advice on how I could get my insurance to declare it a total loss."

Absolutely nothing you can do in that case. There isn't really a negotiation here, and the appraiser will determine what the repair will cost vs. what the car is worth. It isn't a guarantee that airbags going off will be a total loss, but if you're lucky, the subframe/frame is bent or damaged, but even then you've got an entire side of the car that needs to be replaced, along with the airbags and headliner, doors/panels, etc. It looks to me like they would total it because labor alone on that is going to be very high before we even get to parts.

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
If I was your insurance company. I would total it out.

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

InkedIMG_2508_LI.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg

Sorry that that happened to you friend. That is a heck of a hit. Since it was the other guy's fault nothing should be held against you, aside from the obvious unhappy outcome of your car being totaled.

If it is totaled would you be getting a newer CivicX?

I agree with what others have said. The cost of trying to repair that will likely be very high (labor and what not) so likely not worth it.

ClearKeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
My opinion, if I'm in a major accident, I want the insurance to just claim it as totaled. No amount of sentimental value is worth trying to piece together a totaled car and return it to it's former glory. Count your blessings, pay your respects, collect your check and go pick-up a fresh ride. Sorry for your loss.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Based on the photos, I see about $8K in repairs - about 50% of the car's value of $16K. That's not enough for an insurance company to declare it a total loss.

The car will be worth about $13K with a history of repaired damage. If you can recover diminution of value and the cost of repairs, it'll cost the insurance company about $11K - that's still less than them giving you a check for $16K.

Unless there is significantly more damage than what appears in the photos, I would be very surprised if this would be considered a total loss.

Fredline

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mazda Miata MX-5
Country flag
Holy crap!
Glad you're okay. It will be interesting to see what your insurance company says. I'm thinking totaled considering how bad the door area is tweaked.
Please keep us posted.

OP
OP
dekmo

dekmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-T
Yeah, I just want it to be considered totaled because it won't be the same even if the repairs are to be done. The passenger side front wheel is also severely damaged, you can see it clearly in the pictures. Right now the only thing I can do is wait for the estimate and see what the insurance says. I'll make sure to keep you guys updated. Thanks and Happy New Year.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Glad you are safe. I would say this a total loss with the damage to the car.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Man this could have been so much worse... glad it wasn't and that you're OK.
(Also good to see how well the Civic held up against a supposedly very hard side hit!)

As for totaling -- from what little I can tell, the frame doesn't seem to be bent, so they might go with just fixing it up.
But, of course, as was already mentioned, no opinions from here would change anything -- it'll be what it'll be, solely based on what the appraiser decides.

Good luck!
Sponsored