Is ktuner worth it even no after market parts?

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So far, I have found the KTuner 19.5/23 base tune to be phenomenal. In Sport Mode, the factory all seasons will break loose from a moderate stab of the throttle at like 55mph. The torque impressive from just a tune. I am not sure how the TSP Stage 1 compares, other than what they spec on their site.
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
So far, I have found the KTuner 19.5/23 base tune to be phenomenal. In Sport Mode, the factory all seasons will break loose from a moderate stab of the throttle at like 55mph. The torque impressive from just a tune. I am not sure how the TSP Stage 1 compares, other than what they spec on their site.
What gear? I typically am pretty easy on it, but I'd like to see if the TSP Stage 1 or Hondata +9 map can duplicate that.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What gear? I typically am pretty easy on it, but I'd like to see if the TSP Stage 1 or Hondata +9 map can duplicate that.
I don't beat on my car either, and only do stuff like this in ways that won't trash the clutch or car itself. 7500 miles on the factory all seasons, properly rotated, with even wear across.

Third gear, 4000rpm, 50-55 mph. Relatively spirited stab on the throttle, but not even WOT. Tires barked all the way to redline, shifted at 75mph-ish, tires still barking in the 4th gear pull. I did it twice to make sure lol. I had a big old stupid grin on my face. My other mods are a PRL Cobra CAI with street MAF, resonator delete and muffler replacement (not likely any increase here).

If TSP is claiming a +19whp/+23wtq gain over the KTuner base tune, it should be absolutely, noticeably better. I am just curious between the two, if those are both documented, dynoed numbers. @Two Step Performance or @KTuner, would you like to chime in?

Not trying to start anything, but I'm sure some of us are curious.
Honda Civic 10th gen Is ktuner worth it even no after market parts? upload_2018-7-31_12-59-50

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Honda has never pushed an engine to its full capability for a production vehicle. They tune on the conservative side, which is why they last for so long. It's also why there is so much left on the table performance-wise for the 1.5 and 2.0 turbo.
So say that you mod your car with a bunch of performance parts and also flash a tune, but you still decide to "drive the car regularly" over the long haul. Will this car experience more wear & tear and have less life expectancy on it than one with stock parks and no tune?

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually launched the car last night using 2-Step and broke the tires loose in first, second and chirped them in 3rd where I let off while on the TSP Stage 1. :drive:

But let's be honest, the all seasons suck. So it wasn't difficult to do. I'm already looking at replacing them with Nitto NT555 G2's.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I don't beat on my car either, and only do stuff like this in ways that won't trash the clutch or car itself. 7500 miles on the factory all seasons, properly rotated, with even wear across.

Third gear, 4000rpm, 50-55 mph. Relatively spirited stab on the throttle, but not even WOT. Tires barked all the way to redline, shifted at 75mph-ish, tires still barking in the 4th gear pull. I did it twice to make sure lol. I had a big old stupid grin on my face. My other mods are a PRL Cobra CAI with street MAF, resonator delete and muffler replacement (not likely any increase here).

If TSP is claiming a +19whp/+23wtq gain over the KTuner base tune, it should be absolutely, noticeably better. I am just curious between the two, if those are both documented, dynoed numbers. @Two Step Performance or @KTuner, would you like to chime in?

Not trying to start anything, but I'm sure some of us are curious.
upload_2018-7-31_12-59-50.png

There's nothing to start. We are very clear that our included tunes are conservative and there is room for custom tuning. TSP/IMW have partnered up to take advantage of that extra available power. They both asked if they could show off the dyno sheets outlining the differences and since we're transparent over here the answer was yes. I know it was posted somewhere on facebook, not sure if it made it here. @D-RobIMW ?

Last edited:

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's nothing to start. We are very clear that our included tunes are conservative and there is room for custom tuning. TSP/IMW have partnered up to take advantage of that extra available power.
Yeah I didn't think there was an issue. I realize the base tunes are conservative. I was just wondering if the increase that TSP stated had any dyno graphs to back it up, because that is quite a jump.

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Yeah I didn't think there was an issue. I realize the base tunes are conservative. I was just wondering if the increase that TSP stated had any dyno graphs to back it up, because that is quite a jump.
The dyno plot is on the TSP Stage 1 product page. :) Stock, KTuner 23psi starter, and TSP are all shown on the same plot.

I've attached it here too.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is ktuner worth it even no after market parts? DYNOPLOTS

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is, IMO, the "most worth it" thing to get. Most anything good performance-wise, starts with it.

I just ordered my Stage 1 tune this afternoon... and up until today, I enjoyed running and messing around with Ktuner's basemaps since New Years Day '18 (thanks for unlocking my account on New Years Day BTW @KTuner).

Remember, the TSP is a flash tune that still likely leaves a bit on the table as it isn't customized to the specific car it's made for... but it states premium fuel is REQUIRED in bold on their website. The stock tune or even the basemaps were always released with only the recommendation for the most power. It's got more timing advance and boost than the great, but still very conservative, basemaps.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is, IMO, the "most worth it" thing to get. Most anything good performance-wise, starts with it.

I just ordered my Stage 1 tune this afternoon... and up until today, I enjoyed running and messing around with Ktuner's basemaps since New Years Day '18 (thanks for unlocking my account on New Years Day BTW @KTuner).

Remember, the TSP is a flash tune that still likely leaves a bit on the table as it isn't customized to the specific car it's made for... but it states premium fuel is REQUIRED in bold on their website. The stock tune or even the basemaps were always released with only the recommendation for the most power. It's got more timing advance and boost than the great, but still very conservative, basemaps.
Thanks for that! Obviously more wear and tear on the already glass jaw of a stock clutch. But an $80 bargain from the looks of it!

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for that! Obviously more wear and tear on the already glass jaw of a stock clutch. But an $80 bargain from the looks of it!
We shall see. I hope to have the file and have it flashed this evening. It just started raining a bit ago so it may be a pretty tame drive however.

I've been fine with the stock clutch thus far and plan (hope) that it'll continue to be just fine. I tend to not let the car see much boost, if any, where peak torque is at from dyno runs. I run it hard after downshifting in the upper end of the RPM range and the TSP Stage 1 is well suited to delivering on that end, based on the dynos I've seen. I'm looking forward to it.

My old Z was 300 hp at the motor stock... and the dyno's I've seen tend to put them around 250 at the wheels.

Considering this makes near 240 at the wheels (I've got the PRL stage 1 intake may be good few a few hp)... and is about 400 lbs lighter to boot... while it certainly won't be getting the 0-60 times of the old car, I expect it'll run about as fast from a roll as a old stock 300zx... maybe a smidge better. They'd do about a 14-flat in a 1/4 mile. We run a mid to high 14 stock... so I don't doubt low-14s is realistic.

Amazing what cars today are capable of. If you told me in the 90s a Civic a few generations down the line with a software upgrade alone would have hung with a twin turbo Z in a straight line, I would have not believed it.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe stating the obvious here, but they are able to do more by adjusting timing and fueling, whereas the basemaps from KTuner and Hondata keep stock timing and fueling from what I understand. That is why the ethanol tunes can put down more power, because you can advance the timing and pump up the boost presumably.

Last edited:

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
So say that you mod your car with a bunch of performance parts and also flash a tune, but you still decide to "drive the car regularly" over the long haul. Will this car experience more wear & tear and have less life expectancy on it than one with stock parks and no tune?
Ummm ... yes, more power means more wear and tear.

I'm kinda scratching my head at how this is even a question.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Interesting. I've never disconnected the battery for tuning. Flashed and drove.
I never meant to imply that you had to disconnect the battery to flash, so please don't let this be a source of misinformation for anyone.

I only meant to point out that there is a relearn procedure for dead/disconnected batteries, which shows that the ECU does learn at and near idle.

I would assume that this is why someone was told that their car had to idle for 5-10 minutes after a reflash.

CStew81

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Literally about to pull the trigger on the KTuner with TSP Stage 1. Would you guys recommend it over the regular KTuner?
Sponsored