Is it safe to use 5-40w oil on FK8 Type R?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
It seriously shouldn’t be this complicated. Use a high quality 0w-20 and you will be fine 90% of the time. Datalog your oil pressure using the factory sensor and only use a thicker viscosity if pressure is suffering.

Just check the tech sheets given by Motul

https://d23zpyj32c5wn3.cloudfront.n...0High_20RPM_200W-20_20_28GB_29.pdf?1492017369

https://d23zpyj32c5wn3.cloudfront.n...00V_20Power_205W-40_20_28GB_29.pdf?1492017370

I’ve used Motul 300v 0w-20 exclusively for my daily/track car and have had 0 issues. All verified by used oil analysis.
Sponsored

20ls01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RRRRRRR
Country flag
Here is the bottom line that oil companies dont want you to know:

If you use the latest SN Synthetic oil, they WILL all protect your engine the same. No other oil will make your engine last longer or shorter as long as you change it in proper intervals. Our k20c1 is not special, it is a mass produce engine, no need to over think it!

This is proven all day by the nerds on bobistheoilguy.
Ive seen oil analysis where people bounce between boutique oils like redline, motil, amsoil to the cheapest quick lube and there is literally no discernible difference in wear metals. Sometimes the cheaper oil does better!!

Many car owners rely on quick lube shops using the cheapest dino(non synthetic) oil and their engine goes to 200-300k miles. Take that into perspective.

Oil marketing companies have you guys beat, especially those amsoil dealers. Its sad ?
They are trained to give the same lecture each time how they are the 1st in synthetics and the best, blah blah blah lol

Last edited:

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Motul for them JDM points though

cliffs: I'm not a smart man

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
As a youth I ran 7/11 brand oils in my cars and never had any problems with the engines blowing up, excessive wear, smoke, etc., just the usual main bearing leaks and valve cover gasket leaks.
I had a little 4 banger Pinto with nearly 200K on it and when I took it apart to change the seals, rings, etc., (was bored on staycation) I saw no damage, very little wear, and the inside of the engine was spotless. Now, the head bolts smelled horrible when i took them out but I think that was due to oil being at the bottom of the bolts rotting or something.
The best oil to use is the one in your car.
Of course now I use Mobil 1 0/20 in my CTR because that's what's recommended.
I change it about every 7-8K miles.
Like Scotty Kilmer says "Oil is cheap, Engines are not" lol.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Mobil ep 0w20 is a low ash oil and excellent for gdi engines.
Its not some fancy jdm oil but its highly regarded on bitog.

The important part is doing your maintenance in a timely manner and if your a worry wart take a sample and have an analysis done.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Here is the bottom line that oil companies dont want you to know:

If you use the latest SN Synthetic oil, they WILL all protect your engine the same. No other oil will make your engine last longer or shorter as long as you change it in proper intervals. Our k20c1 is not special, it is a mass produce engine, no need to over think it!

This is proven all day by the nerds on bobistheoilguy.
Ive seen oil analysis where people bounce between boutique oils like redline, motil, amsoil to the cheapest quick lube and there is literally no discernible difference in wear metals. Sometimes the cheaper oil does better!!

Many car owners rely on quick lube shops using the cheapest dino(non synthetic) oil and their engine goes to 200-300k miles. Take that into perspective.

Oil marketing companies have you guys beat, especially those amsoil dealers. Its sad ?
They are trained to give the same lecture each time how they are the 1st in synthetics and the best, blah blah blah lol
Id agree and say that for the average person any modern fully synthetic oil will make almost no difference.

Pushing the car to extreme temperatures ex, track driving / racing, is where you’ll see the benefits of a high quality oil.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
I tracked my white 2017 a ton on motul and mobile one.

I’d be curious to have done an oil analysis before I sold it

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Thats what the internet and marketing has deceptively pushed for over and over.

Any recognizable OTS full synthetic brand with the right donut seal will get the job done on and off the track.

People punish their ctr’s with dealer fill all day long in the track.. Not a chance honda is using expensive oils on their dealer fill. They use whoever gives them the best deal on bulk oil.
Here is the thing. All of us on this thread probably take very good care of our cars and change oil on time. Honda makes a pretty good engine whichever one it is. Bad engines with flaws require great oil to try and stay in front of catastrophic failure. We don't. So it is too early for us to know and not til higher miles can we tell. The ones who may know more aren't even telling likely cuz they are beating on their poor Civics with no remorse.

kovan

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fk8
Country flag
I use 300v 0w30, because I don't drive it often, so I can accept 3000 kilometers to change the oil once

Glassjaw121986

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic si
Country flag
I know it's an older thread but has anyone ran the Torco Sr-5R or the SX-8? I use there MTF and RTF and love them but I haven't tried their oil yet. Mainly because of lack it info from actual users

Deleted member 54128

Hello everyone. I drive a Honda Civic type R FK2 ( same engine like the fk8 ) and I have an analysis from the Honda engine type 2.0 0w20 auf 2700 kilometres, Most of them on the track and the German highway with no speed limit. Now I have changed to Mobil 1 fs 0W40, because I use it since 15 years ( before fs it was the new life 0w40 ) in all of my cars without any problems. My dayli Honda Civic 1.8 Sport FK2 from 2008 ( r18a2) has gone 378000 kilometres with that oil , oil change Intervall 20000 kilometres. Motul has a new 300v series , which is for cars with particle filter und against the LSPI problems . What are your experience ?

K20S@N

First Name
O'Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ CTR
Country flag
I know it's an older thread but has anyone ran the Torco Sr-5R or the SX-8? I use there MTF and RTF and love them but I haven't tried their oil yet. Mainly because of lack it info from actual users
I have used the MTF and RTF as well, it lasted 7 months, went to AC delco synchromesh, it felt even smoother. I’ve used the Torco SR-1 0w20 with the tmpz formula and had no issues.

Deleted member 54128

Here is mine analysis From Honda engine type 2.0 0W20 with hard highway driving and racetrack. Very good I think

Honda Civic 10th gen Is it safe to use 5-40w oil on FK8 Type R? 9EF31409-9892-452D-B9E0-6795F83B951A
Sponsored