is it possible to lock doors while engine is running?

litel30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic ex
Country flag
is it possible to go out and lock doors while engine is running?
Sponsored

ezone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Electra Glide, 12 Civic, 87 Mazda B2K
Get out, shut the door, take the key out of the fob, insert key in the door handle lock, and twist.

OP
OP

litel30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic ex
Country flag
Get out, shut the door, take the key out of the fob, insert key in the door handle lock, and twist.
ok. will try. thank you very much!

ezone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It will lock the drivers door, but I'm not sure it will lock all the doors this way due to the way the auto-locking function is set up. If it doesn't, you might need to lock the other 3 doors manually before you shut the drivers door.

Coulgar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Civic Si
Does it not lock when you walk away with the fob? I thought it locks when you walk away from the car when you take the fob a certain distance or something.

ezone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does it not lock when you walk away with the fob? I thought it locks when you walk away from the car when you take the fob a certain distance or something.

I don't think it will do that if the engine is left running. Do you have that setting enabled, and did you try it?

EDIT: Did not realize you were not the OP

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I don't think it will do that if the engine is left running. Do you have that setting enabled, and did you try it?

EDIT: Did not realize you were not the OP
I'm researching this as we speak. I've been reading the owner's manual (don't get me started on having a digital copy only) and it's probably one of the most vague guides I've ever read. I played with the setting we're talking about here a bit last night but not to where I found conclusive evidence. I have it on off and I left the engine idling while running into my apartment building, but no matter what I did it wouldn't lock the vehicle (fob was in my pocket). I've read that it won't lock if the fob is in the car, but I would assume if the setting is turned on, if the car is idling, it will lock as you walk away from it provided the key fob is in your pocket.

ezone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
but I would assume if the setting is turned on, if the car is idling, it will lock as you walk away from it provided the key fob is in your pocket.
I'm pretty sure the engineers/programmers would never allow that to automatically happen while the engine is running.

I jump out carrying the fobs and leave the cars running all the time, all I ever hear is the rapid series of beeps that let you know you did something the car doesn't like.
I've never seen any lock on their own unless I manually lock it with the key.
Even on older Hondas with regular keys, any time the key was inserted in the ignition the keyless system was disabled, and if the key was in the ignition and the drivers door open you could not use the power lock button to lock the doors.

And some of their cars will definitely let you lock it with a second keyless fob while the first one is inside the car. Not sure of CIvics, but we know first hand the Accord would.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm pretty sure the engineers/programmers would never allow that to automatically happen while the engine is running.

I jump out carrying the fobs and leave the cars running all the time, all I ever hear is the rapid series of beeps that let you know you did something the car doesn't like.
I've never seen any lock on their own unless I manually lock it with the key.
Even on older Hondas with regular keys, any time the key was inserted in the ignition the keyless system was disabled, and if the key was in the ignition and the drivers door open you could not use the power lock button to lock the doors.
You're probably right on that. I think I was just assuming the "auto walk away lock" worked with the car on or off, provided the fob wasn't in the vehicle. This is what I found in the manual (so far...I'm only a 1/5th of the way through it...):

Honda Civic 10th gen is it possible to lock doors while engine is running? Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 11.48.24 AM

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I've been reading the owner's manual (don't get me started on having a digital copy only) and it's probably one of the most vague guides I've ever read.
For it to be less vague, they'd have to make it 1,500 or 2,000 pages. People don't read it as it is at 580 pages.

First owner is entitled to a free paper copy of the Owner's Manual, Navigation Manual (if so equipped), and Warranty booklet, if ordered within six months of delivery. See owners.honda.com to order.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
For it to be less vague, they'd have to make it 1,500 or 2,000 pages. People don't read it as it is at 580 pages.

First owner is entitled to a free paper copy of the Owner's Manual, Navigation Manual (if so equipped), and Warranty booklet, if ordered within six months of delivery. See owners.honda.com to order.
Major thanks on the info about the paper copy. I'll definitely be taking them up on that.

Rook3300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (no more)
And some of their cars will definitely let you lock it with a second keyless fob while the first one is inside the car. Not sure of CIvics, but we know first hand the Accord would.
Our 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid with keyless entry & start will definitely not allow you to lock a second key fob in the car. It's a pain in the butt because if my wife brings her keys, then I end up having to carry my set and hers if we go anywhere. Darn women's pants not having pockets -- it doesn't make sense.
Sponsored