Jayceegee

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Owner of 2019 Si coupe. 68 yrs old and driven manual transmission all my life. I have found going from 1st to 2nd gear being particularly jerky in this car. After 4 months I have discovered that placing sport mode on the jerky ride from 1st to 2nd has almost disappeared. Mechanically this makes no sense to me but even my wife, as a passenger, agrees that sport mode provides a smoother ride 1st to 2nd gear.
Is it possible that the gas pedal sensitivity being changed in sport mode actually helps eliminate the jerky feeling ?
Sponsored

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
nah dude, that shits in your head. well, actually the throttle response is slightly increased and that might help with the 1 to 2 engagement.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
I think it's better without rev hang on tsp stage 1. Pretty sure it just hangs too long for 1st to 2nd. Just short shift between those gears.

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This happens to me when letting off in 3rd from around 3000rpm and it does a jerky dance but in sport it doesn’t do it what so ever. I tested it a bunch of times to make sure it wasn’t just in my head either. I’m guessing it’s the better throttle response in sport that helps. Oh and on tsp 1 map 3 when this happens to me btw.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
This happens to me when letting off in 3rd from around 3000rpm and it does a jerky dance but in sport it doesn’t do it what so ever. I tested it a bunch of times to make sure it wasn’t just in my head either. I’m guessing it’s the better throttle response in sport that helps. Oh and on tsp 1 map 3 when this happens to me btw.
I only get it when I'm on and off the throttle alot like in traffic. I'm hoping motor mount will help some other wise I'll be adding some throttle padding.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I think it's better without rev hang on tsp stage 1. Pretty sure it just hangs too long for 1st to 2nd. Just short shift between those gears.
Rev hang does not affect shifting one bit. Not one. It's all mental. Once you get over the "rev hang mental block" you will find its a big Mr. nothing bar

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I only get it when I'm on and off the throttle alot like in traffic. I'm hoping motor mount will help some other wise I'll be adding some throttle padding.
I now just avoid abruptly letting off the gas and it kinda helps. I have a rear mount and it still happens but definitely not as bad with the stock one.

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Rev hang does not affect shifting one bit. Not one. It's all mental. Once you get over the "rev hang mental block" you will find its a big Mr. nothing bar
whaa....dude rev hang definitely affects shifting. why do you think so many ppl want it disabled?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
whaa....dude rev hang definitely affects shifting. why do you think so many ppl want it disabled?
It's because some people don't like the sound and the perception of the engine being at a higher RPM makes some people hesitate, ruining the shift. In reality rev hang has zero effect on shifting. Once you learn to ignore rev hang, you will realize that one can shift at any RPM, including redline

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Owner of 2019 Si coupe. 68 yrs old and driven manual transmission all my life. I have found going from 1st to 2nd gear being particularly jerky in this car. After 4 months I have discovered that placing sport mode on the jerky ride from 1st to 2nd has almost disappeared. Mechanically this makes no sense to me but even my wife, as a passenger, agrees that sport mode provides a smoother ride 1st to 2nd gear.
Is it possible that the gas pedal sensitivity being changed in sport mode actually helps eliminate the jerky feeling ?
So, when going from 1st to 2nd, i usually left off the throttle at 3k RPM, and let it drop to around 2k before I'm completely off the clutch. I have 0 jerkiness between gears.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
In reality rev hang has zero effect on shifting. Once you learn to ignore rev hang, you will realize that one can shift at any RPM, including redline
While trying to shifting smoothly it does. You literally have to complete the shift slower to account for the RPM float. You do have some choice in how you slow down your shifts (wait longer after letting off the gas, shift and clutch out slower, etc) but it has to be done.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It's because some people don't like the sound and the perception of the engine being at a higher RPM makes some people hesitate, ruining the shift. In reality rev hang has zero effect on shifting. Once you learn to ignore rev hang, you will realize that one can shift at any RPM, including redline
I've found that mild padding does improve the 1-2 shift to a degree. The engine ramps very aggressively in 1st gear, and causes the flywheel to rotate at a comparatively higher RPM once releasing the clutch. Combined with the more aggressive rpm drop to 2nd gear... that seems to be the primary cause of the lurching as described by owners.

By allowing the throttle to partially close upon clutch release, it seems to help to slow the inertia of the motor/flywheel... but only when releasing the clutch under WOT @ higher RPMs.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've found that mild padding does improve the 1-2 shift to a degree. The engine ramps very aggressively in 1st gear, and causes the flywheel to rotate at a comparatively higher RPM once releasing the clutch. Combined with the more aggressive rpm drop to 2nd gear... that seems to be the primary cause of the lurching as described by owners.

By allowing the throttle to partially close upon clutch release, it seems to help to slow the inertia of the motor/flywheel... but only when releasing the clutch under WOT @ higher RPMs.
It's all a matter of allowing the synchronizes to work. Rev hang or no rev hang

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
It's soooooo unpredictable though ... Messy Monday terrible Tuesday wounderfull Wednesday terrific Thursday and fd up Friday shixxty Saturday and superb Sunday ... Then the next week it's totally mixed up. I can't find a solution ... I have less than 2000 miles ... Some one mentioned that after 10 000 miles it's better. Any input on that?

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
you seem to have the same drivability issue i had in the 17 lx hatch with MT. never corrected it as i'm sure it required a tune.maybe only an adjustment rather than a full tune. i had the tuner to do it too but was waiting for the time . got the SI before that happened. i did put the base tune on it (the LX)but it really could not handle the extra power with the stock tires, took that tune off and went back to stock untill a later date.

my si is just sooo much better, it actually like driving a normal car, just like my '90 toyota truck. my take is that it is the throttle padding somehow. no way rev hang is involved here. i tended to blame the clutch delay valve and possibly the dual mass flywheel. i'm thinking that it also it could be the coordination of the shift ( hand foot speed).
on my lx i installed a short shift adapter, it totally screwed up the experience. i then put the type r shifter in which got rid of the trouble of the adapter, but did not improve the 1-2 drivability.
in short my issue with the lx was that you could accelerate slow smoothly, you could accelerate fast smoothly, but not in between. in addition it may have been ok with a full load in the car, but not sure of that.

i also do not do any of this new fangled shifting crap, no heel toe, no rev matching no pause between/during shifts. if you feel the car you don't need too. just shifting just like its 1969 in a ss396, no difference and just as fasst. stock for stock.
anyway thats my take on this.
Sponsored