Is it me, or is my car just slow

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Dude just take your time off the line and don’t worry about the others. They can go around you. Fast launches are for Formula 1
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I just have an impression reading this forum that many people buy MT cars before they learned how to drive them comfortably.
Otherwise, how can asking on the forum whether you are too gentle or the car is too slow be possibly easier than taking a break from being gentle just once and trying to take off like a rocket and testing your limits by yourself? You should be able to easily do it faster than an average commuter. If you were familiar with :drive: that is.

Or maybe you spend too long time before you start moving. That would be most likely to trigger the potential AH behind you.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is your car a 1.5T? If so get a KTuner with a base map and it will really wake the car up.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Whether the OP is bogging off the line or not, an impatient idiot behind him doesn't mean his car is slow. It just means there are a lot of impatient idiots on the road these days.

nouseformonkeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord
Maybe upload a video of you doing your usual acceleration from a full stop for a better assessment of the situation.

And slightly off-topic...When I’m fourth or so at a red light and the light turns green, I hate that the cars in front of me don’t react until the car in front of them starts going. I can see the brake lights of each car don’t go off until the car in front goes. I’m no jackrabbit or speed demon, but when the light is green for only 15 seconds or so, if everyone started moving forward when it turns green, one or two more cars might make it through before it turns red again.

Last edited:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Whether the OP is bogging off the line or not, an impatient idiot behind him doesn't mean his car is slow. It just means there are a lot of impatient idiots on the road these days.
True, even if it is bogging a little that shouldn't be reason for the person behind to cry about it. Im noticing a common trend of people literally treating the roadways like a movie car chase scene by weaving in and out of lanes and aggressively going off the line when the light turns green.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
True, even if it is bogging a little that shouldn't be reason for the person behind to cry about it. Im noticing a common trend of people literally treating the roadways like a movie car chase scene by weaving in and out of lanes and aggressively going off the line when the light turns green.

That's me at every red light or stop light, lol. I can't help it, I've driven fast and hard my whole life.

10-15 over the speed limit is normal driving to me. I also live in the metro Atlanta area so this is pretty normal here.

Get your car tuned on at least the 6+ base map, it's a game changer.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
That's me at every red light or stop light, lol. I can't help it, I've driven fast and hard my whole life.

10-15 over the speed limit is normal driving to me. I also live in the metro Atlanta area so this is pretty normal here.

I mean I love to have fun when there is no one front of me at a light and im the first in line. But im talking about people launching like its a drag strip when they are behind a car with a lot of traffic around them and they end up tailgating them because the car in front got off the line at a normal speed. Trust me, I love driving fast too but I feel like you need to assess the situation before you drive like that.

fletan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get Ktuner, enable launch control, dump the clutch at every green light.
EFFFEEEN EH! :headbang:

On a more serious note, the civic manual has to be reved up on launch from first. It will bog on you between first and second if you don't get it up to at least 2500 3000 revs. I also litely ride the clutch sometimes if I have passengers to smooth the transition between gears. If not I ride her like I stole it!

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
It's probably not your car.
Consider that cars behind you likely have auto trans. As soon as the light turns green all they have to do is pivot a foot and gas it and GO.
If you are in neutral and the light turns green and not ready to go, people will be inpatient behind you.
At green light taking your time getting going is your prerogative, but people will not be happy behind you.

HatchorNada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic Hatch
Traffic light turns green, I shift to first, my car gets going and the car behind me signals because I'm moving too slow at take off...

This is what I've experienced most of the time driving and I'm wondering if I'm just not giving the car enough gas to accelerate.

Can anyone else relate?
You need a Hatch. *blurts out in laughter*

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any time the clutch pedal is pressed the clutch is being worn. If slow shifting is the problem he should just learn to shift a little quicker instead of sitting at a light with the car in first and the clutch to the floor. Either that or just make up for the slow shift time by accelerating a little more briskly once the car is in gear.
my car is already in gear when im at a light with the clutch pressed. done that or many years with other cars i have owned and never had a clutch problem or early wear on a clutch

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

I'm tuned too but I tend to do my "power moves" on the open highway. Driving around town (metro Baltimore) stoplight to stoplight and gunning it at lights makes no sense here because there's always congestion and slow traffic ahead.

CVT_Squad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 2005 Pilot 2010 Insight 1998 Civic Hatch
Country flag
Traffic light turns green, I shift to first, my car gets going and the car behind me signals because I'm moving too slow at take off...

This is what I've experienced most of the time driving and I'm wondering if I'm just not giving the car enough gas to accelerate.

Can anyone else relate?
You car, faster go, make ppl mad bro, beep boop. So slow, much turbo lag, ad boost.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm always the fastest guy at the light and the guy on the left lane passing everyone.

I think my parents driving fast my whole life ingrained it into my brain. My dad at all most 60 now still hauls ass from place to place.
Sponsored