Is it just me or is this paint chipping way too easy?

Veldox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
I just finished washing and waxing my car last night and I noticed like almost every single piece of the front of the car has a small chip on it somewhere. I've never owned a car before where it was like this. The hood has a chip, the front right has a chip, the drivers door has a chip, the mirror has a chip. Is it possible that it's a bad paint job? There's a thread here about people needing touch-up pens already and everyone seems to have chips that just seems unusual.
Sponsored

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just finished washing and waxing my car last night and I noticed like almost every single piece of the front of the car has a small chip on it somewhere. I've never owned a car before where it was like this. The hood has a chip, the front right has a chip, the drivers door has a chip, the mirror has a chip. Is it possible that it's a bad paint job? There's a thread here about people needing touch-up pens already and everyone seems to have chips that just seems unusual.
The paint sucks. I have a ton of chips, one on the hood, like 6 down one side of the car a few down the other. Two on the back. To me the touch up pen is a pain to use also. If I knew the paint was this weak and clear wrapping the car wasn't so expensive I would have wrapped the whole car.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The paint on Hondas is notorious for being weak and thin. It is not just isolated to the Civic X. my 2013 Accord had it, my 2008 Civic, etc.

However, the paint on my 2016 has held up well. I have over 16,000 km in 4 months and that's 95% highway, and have only had 4 small paint chips. Two were right above my wheel well. Those ones were caused by someone cutting their grass too close to the highway and they launched a couple rocks at my car. Out of my control.

I had one on my A Pillar towards the back of the car. Don't really know how it happened. Last one was on my driver side front fender.

None on the hood or anywhere else (knock on wood). My 2013 accord before I traded it in had a million of them. So far I'm doing way better than I expected.

As for the touch up, I find it easy to use, and it matches the paint super well IMO. Some of the touch ups I've had to do I can't even tell I did them at all anymore. So I like the pen.

Everyone's experience is going to be different though. I live in an area where gravel and rocks go flying since transport trucks and regular vehicles seem to enjoy going on gravel parts of the shoulder and making rocks go fly. But I just back off a bit and keep a decent amount of space, and so far that's been working out well.

EADGBE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EXL Hatch
Past Hondas I've owned have had very thin paint prone to chipping. Haven't owned a Honda in about ten years, so I'm disappointed to hear that this is still an issue as I look at the Civics.

K1NG J0RDAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue 2016 Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Awful paint. Just awful. I love the car and the design, but the amount of nicks I'm getting on the hood is driving me insane. Didn't think to get clear film, but I feel it's too late to even worry about it now. From a distance it's all fine but up close and when the light hits it all a certain way... man. :(

Not sure I'll be getting anymore Honda's after this. Things are looking better for them, but the paint is too weak and the plastics they use are way too fragile.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My car has 20,000 km on it now and I have yet to get more than a couple paint chips, and yet I drive 95% highway. I feel like the paint is holding up much better than my 2013 Accord.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The paint chips are the reason I plasti-dipped my car. Michigan roads are absolutely HORRIBLE. Debit on the expressway is out of control at the end of winter.

W1NTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.8L CVT Sedan
Country flag
I inadvertently bumped a Camry on my way out of the driver's door, now my car's door edge has multiple chipped paint. Ugh!

Fortunately, the Camry was fine, no scratch or even a dent.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Awful paint. Just awful. I love the car and the design, but the amount of nicks I'm getting on the hood is driving me insane. Didn't think to get clear film, but I feel it's too late to even worry about it now. From a distance it's all fine but up close and when the light hits it all a certain way... man. :(

Not sure I'll be getting anymore Honda's after this. Things are looking better for them, but the paint is too weak and the plastics they use are way too fragile.
My Honda and Toyota both have way to many paint chips on the hood. My two Fords and my last Dodge Ram have none. There is definitely something different about the import paint used, and not in a good way.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thin paint and thin sheetmetal = easy chips and dings. This car is well designed but a lot of corners were cut. Matter of fact, my last two cars (a Hyundai and a Kia) were much better in this area. Who'da thunk it?

sjnibbe

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX Black, 2017 Civic Sedan EX-L Grey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The paint on my car is so full of chips its stupid. There was actually something on the news about a class action against honda for paint repairs.

Mel C.

First Name
Melody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Sport
Dents, paint chipping off, now rust. The car is less than 30 days purchased! So upset with Honda! Have reported to both dealership and Honda Corporation...MARCH 12, 2022.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is it just me or is this paint chipping way too easy? 275389046_647064783189418_345074638764568299_n

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
My type r is still flawless after a year now. I did do a ppf full front but no chips or dents anywhere else. But i do wax the car with 3 layers once a month.
🤷🏻
Sponsored