Is it just me or is there no roof rack rating for the sedan?

Andrew12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Just something I noticed after intense googling. I own an aussie civic RS 1.5L Turbo sedan and noticed there is no places that state the max roof capacity on this, all places state only the hatchback, Honda only seems to offer their roofracks (rated to 40kg/99 pounds) to hatchbacks in australia. Anyone have any idea what the max capacity on the 10th Gen civic sedan would be?

Only place I found some information is https://www.car.info/en-se/honda/civic/10th-generation-7898138/specs which states it's 45kg (99 pounds), and this doesn't even specify the sedan. I can't believe it if the roof really is that weak.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Andrew12345

Andrew12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Anyone have any ideas about the manufacturer roof capacity? Would appreciate some input as there's no information anywhere

I asked a few people and specified the 4 door sedan version with the sunroof. I ended up calling Honda Australia (had no clue and told me to call dealers), 2 dealers (had no clue besides following official thule reccomendations for their racks which were 50-75kg but couldn't give me an answer for the manufacturer capacity).

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Ive seen some people put racks on it. I’m sure it can hold some decent weight, but I don’t think there are any reinforced areas on the pillars meant for it.

All of the painted body panels on this car are super thin sheet metal. They will get dented extremely easily if any sort of significant pressure is put on a small area. The paint is thinand cheap as well. I wouldn’t exceed the weight of the hatchback rating, but I doubt your roof is going to collapse.

If you care about small dents or minor cosmetic damages, be careful about what contacts the painted surfaces. It’s probably not rated by Honda because they don’t recommend strapping anything to the roof of this car.

OP
OP
Andrew12345

Andrew12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I think you are right in thinking this. I find it weird Honda themselves do not know what the racks capacity is, if they are incompatible it would be best included in manual/book at least.

skorj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
I have a Yakima rack on my US sedan, off the top of my head it said it was rated for 160 lbs.
Sponsored