IS IT JUST ME OR IS THE 1.5 T CIV CVT TOO FAST?

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Quite a few of these posts show a real lack of maturity and understanding. I have an EX-L and was stunned by how quick this car is. I have driven manual transmission vehicles since I was 16 and I know how to drive aggressively as well. The CVT in this car along with the acceleration capabilities of the turbo take some getting used to. The car doesn't really slow down with the engine like I would like. This leaves me having to rely on braking mainly to slow down. To me this is a loss of control and a loss of "feeling" what the car is doing based on the engine rpm.

This is not necessarily a bad thing but it requires an adjustment for me that has not taken a little time. I am not sure the issue is just that the car is much faster than expected. I think it is a combination of both the CVT and the quick acceleration of the EX-T. I don't think it has the feedback I am used to and thus I find myself easily over the speed limit consistently if I am not on top of it.
Put it in S and it'll maintain relatively normal driving characteristics while giving you more engine braking.

I don't think the lack of engine braking is catching a lot of people by surprise. I mean, most automatic cars "sail" along. (with the exception of the last dual clutch transmission car I had, which I could almost drive using only the gas pedal in moderate traffic because it had so much engine braking).
Sponsored

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do the same thing you do. Except I just have more roads to choose my moments from. Stay safe out there.
Man, at night though? And in Vermont, all I'm thinking is deer. Totalled.

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I hope the OP realizes that the posts in this thread are just good natured fun. This car is certainly peppy and when full boost comes on it does feel "sort of fast" especially if your previous car wasn't a turbo.

On the other hand, my +6PSI tuned EX-L does feel genuinely quick. :) Not muscle car fast but it does put a smile on your face.
I agree some mean spirited reply's....That said the +6psi flash definitely that I put on the Ghost made a big difference imo will it beat a Ferrari no but who cares car looks good gets lots of compliments and gets 40+ mpg

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Maybe not the worst topic ever but a little sillly. Yes, the base Civic turbo is peppy but its still an economy car. The Si is quick. The Type R, now that's fast.
The base civic CVT 1.5T Sedan is pretty much equally as fast as an Si Sedan stock for stock.

OP ..yep quick cars for their class IMO.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
^ Sure if you go by the magazines that launch it and take off traction control and drive it in L to come up with those low 0-60 numbers maybe. But, in real world driving the Si will feel faster. Afterall, it does have quite a bit more power. I know you're trying to tell me the CVT keeps things in the power all the time but I'd take a bet that with a good driver 0-100MPH or the 1/4 mile is noticeably faster in an Si. Having said that, My EX-L feels fast"ish" with a +6 tune versus the stock tune. Stock tune feels downright sluggish by comparison. :)

I guess fast is a relative term. I think the 1.5 turbo when you hit full boost does give a nice rush of acceleration. But to me, it's not a fast car. It's surprising peppy though. Maybe a better title for this thread would be "Is the 1.5 more peppy than you expected?". lol

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow... I'm surprised they kept that around. They had it around the turn of the century too built into their HUDs but I always thought it was a gimmick.

Yeah... I had a FWD V8 Caddy for awhile a few years back. Smooth ride.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
That futuristic HUD combined with that old ass dash is confusing for me.

The new one highlights and locks onto targets and alerts you like a fighter jet. I think your old one just did night vision.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That futuristic HUD combined with that old ass dash is confusing for me.

The new one highlights and locks onto targets and alerts you like a fighter jet. I think your old one just did night vision.
Mine never had the option. I knew it existed though. I'm not sure which one was the first year. The 'old ass dash' was actually a screen just like our Civics... it was just in the 'old ass' style. One trick it could do our won't... push a button and both the digital readout would change from MPH to KPH... the analog style display would also change it's units and display appropriate. It would only ever show one or the other. I actually thing I may get another Cadillac one of these days. GM products depreciate so much... and the Caddy's are so good... they're a bargain once they're ~10 years old. Mine was ~10 years old when I got it... and I paid 6k for a car that MSRPed for ~50k.

FL... home of the many, lightly used Cadillacs. All the old folks get them.. barely use them... get their licenses revoked... die... then their Caddy's get sold off for peanuts.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Mine never had the option. I knew it existed though. I'm not sure which one was the first year. The 'old ass dash' was actually a screen just like our Civics... it was just in the 'old ass' style. One trick it could do our won't... push a button and both the digital readout would change from MPH to KPH... the analog style display would also change it's units and display appropriate. It would only ever show one or the other. I actually thing I may get another Cadillac one of these days. GM products depreciate so much... and the Caddy's are so good... they're a bargain once they're ~10 years old. Mine was ~10 years old when I got it... and I paid 6k for a car that MSRPed for ~50k.

FL... home of the many, lightly used Cadillacs. All the old folks get them.. barely use them... get their licenses revoked... die... then their Caddy's get sold off for peanuts.
That's even weirder that if it was digital why did they make it so old ass looking??

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Put it in S and it'll maintain relatively normal driving characteristics while giving you more engine braking.

I don't think the lack of engine braking is catching a lot of people by surprise. I mean, most automatic cars "sail" along. (with the exception of the last dual clutch transmission car I had, which I could almost drive using only the gas pedal in moderate traffic because it had so much engine braking).
I personally would not "engine brake" on a CVT. It's not really that healthy for a gear based transmission to do unless it's designed for it. (straight cut gears)

Remember, it's much cheaper to replace brakes than it is transmissions.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
When this car is properly warmed up - I feel like I’m in a sling shot every time I make turns.

Handling / acceleration really are incredible for a car that costs under 25K

“Too fast”? No ... but I do get caught off guard sometimes.