Sleeper_FK7

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT FK7
Country flag
Just curious if its worth the money. I know a place out by my parents where I could get my hands on some but its 7 dollars a gallon and I couldn't get myself to buy it. I have a Civic Hatchback 1.5t with the only mod being my hondata and its 6+ psi tune. I usually go out of my way to get 93 because I thought I read somewhere the hondata reads what kind of octane is in your fuel tank and adjusts accordingly. Also I heard it doesn't matter unless you have a high-flo cat or catless exhaust system. Otherwise if that doesn't matter, Ill be back up there in October and will share my experience with you guys.
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I assume they are selling octane 99/100 gasoline, not worth it unless you have the map tune for that octane.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Question is, are you going to race your car that’s why you wanted to put in the 101 octane gas? If not, it’s a waste of money.

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Daily Driving... No. I think it’s about $11/gallon in the Southern California area.

OP
OP
Sleeper_FK7

Sleeper_FK7

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I assume they are selling octane 99/100 gasoline, not worth it unless you have the map tune for that octane.
It was 101 octane race fuel. And there isn’t any base maps for it, not even for the 93. I just read some
Question is, are you going to race your car that’s why you wanted to put in the 101 octane gas? If not, it’s a waste of money.
I was going to do a couple 0-60 pulls and roll some 30's with some buddies. So yes, and its a bit of a drive to get there so wouldn't do often but would like to know if itd even make a difference. Maybe I'll just have to get some to find out for myself.

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did this a couple times. I forgot how many gallons I put in but I used a octane calculator to make it equivalent to 93. There was barely a noticeable difference and was not worth $8/gallon.

However I added 1.5gal of e85 (I did all this when I was just tsp1) and it felt a tad bit quicker but it ran smoother. I’m sure it helped knock control and what not.

So basically no, it’s not worth it. Even if you’re tuned, better off going flexfuel. That’s what I did. If you are able to that is. Corn juice ain’t everywhere.

OP
OP
Sleeper_FK7

Sleeper_FK7

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did this a couple times. I forgot how many gallons I put in but I used a octane calculator to make it equivalent to 93. There was barely a noticeable difference and was not worth $8/gallon.

However I added 1.5gal of e85 (I did all this when I was just tsp1) and it felt a tad bit quicker but it ran smoother. I’m sure it helped knock control and what not.

So basically no, it’s not worth it. Even if you’re tuned, better off going flexfuel. That’s what I did. If you are able to that is. Corn juice ain’t everywhere.
It was 101 octane race fuel. And there isn’t any base maps for it, not even for the 93. I just read some
Fair enough, would love to switch to e85. I live in Iowa so corn juice is pretty assessable but to get the kit and the tune it’s like 1,000 dollars. So I thought by PRL. Rather get an air intake, intercooler, cvt cooler, before I start pushing her too hard. Heard the e85 puts a lot of torque on the cvt. But it’ll happen one day hopefully.

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
Fair enough, would love to switch to e85. I live in Iowa so corn juice is pretty assessable but to get the kit and the tune it’s like 1,000 dollars. So I thought by PRL. Rather get an air intake, intercooler, cvt cooler, before I start pushing her too hard. Heard the e85 puts a lot of torque on the cvt. But it’ll happen one day hopefully.
Flex fuel kit is $500 brand new. You can buy a used one, and the tune is on Hondata's if I'm not mistaken....

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Flex fuel kit is $500 brand new. You can buy a used one, and the tune is on Hondata's if I'm not mistaken....
It’s is, theres a base map for it. Highly recommend Look into TSP Stage 1 (if you haven’t already), and the base map for E85 is a step up from that

OP
OP
Sleeper_FK7

Sleeper_FK7

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It’s is, theres a base map for it. Highly recommend Look into TSP Stage 1 (if you haven’t already), and the base map for E85 is a step up from that
I’ll probably slap an flex fuel kit on it. After I do that tho do I mix the fuel to get a certain ratio or do I just throw in all e85? And how much hp do you gain with the base map e85 tune?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’ll probably slap an flex fuel kit on it. After I do that tho do I mix the fuel to get a certain ratio or do I just throw in all e85? And how much hp do you gain with the base map e85 tune?
There’s no benefit running past E40 ( 40% ethanol/60% fuel) as notable tuners have said. I usually aim for 45-48% since California doesn’t have 93 octane. You can look up hondata’s website I believe they have a Dyno graph, as for me I haven’t dynoed my car so I wouldn’t be able to say, but it’s far more than the +6 psi tune that’s for sure. When I cycle off ethanol and run pump gas only, the car feels so sluggish compared to when I have ethanol in the tank. With ethanol the car feels so peppy like it wants to get up and go. I easily gaps stock Si’s

OP
OP
Sleeper_FK7

Sleeper_FK7

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There’s no benefit running past E40 ( 40% ethanol/60% fuel) as notable tuners have said. I usually aim for 45-48% since California doesn’t have 93 octane. You can look up hondata’s website I believe they have a Dyno graph, as for me I haven’t dynoed my car so I wouldn’t be able to say, but it’s far more than the +6 psi tune that’s for sure. When I cycle off ethanol and run pump gas only, the car feels so sluggish compared to when I have ethanol in the tank. With ethanol the car feels so peppy like it wants to get up and go. I easily gaps stock Si’s
What would you said you’re quarter mile time would be with your mods? Jw if I have a chance at getting A flat 13 seconds with just a Race CAI and E85 and the tune? Sorry kind of a noob but my buddy runs a 13.5 and I don’t wanna stick the money into it if I can’t beat that.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What would you said you’re quarter mile time would be with your mods? Jw if I have a chance at getting A flat 13 seconds with just a Race CAI and E85 and the tune? Sorry kind of a noob but my buddy runs a 13.5 and I don’t wanna stick the money into it if I can’t beat that.
Not sure, I would have to make a few runs to test it. Not much of a straight line guy, I prefer curvy roads and lap times. In CA also I don’t have the best condition right now with everything being on fire around me lol, but I recommend buying a IC before you buy a flex fuel kit.

https://www.twostepperformance.com/products/tsp-stage-1-tune-for-2017-honda-civic-non-si

But with the TSP stage 1 a dude is able to get 13.x second run times (scroll the the bottom), so I’m sure I’m at if not lower than that
Sponsored