Is it Bad to Change Air Filter/Oil During High Humidity?

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX 2.0L
Country flag
Hello:

I live in Michigan where currently the humidity levels in the air are very high. This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm bit nervous since I'd be exposing the engine to the ambient environment.

Is it a bad idea to change the air filter out, or change the oil on a rainy, humid, hot summer day? Will this put moisture into the engine? I'd be doing this in my garage, but its not climate controlled.

Thanks in advance for everyone's responses. :)
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It's the same air your engine is sucking in if you drive around on a hot humid day :) Engine oil is not hygroscopic. Not an issue.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Hello:

I live in Michigan where currently the humidity levels in the air are very high. This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm bit nervous since I'd be exposing the engine to the ambient environment.

Is it a bad idea to change the air filter out, or change the oil on a rainy, humid, hot summer day? Will this put moisture into the engine? I'd be doing this in my garage, but its not climate controlled.

So you thought the air cleaner stops water molecules, and you are afraid that after taking out the filter they would immediately invade the engine? That's not the case: the air cleaner only removes dust. It lets all the "humidity" through. If it could stop water where would this water go? You would need to wring out the filter every couple of miles. :p

No wonder people think face masks stop viruses if they believe an engine air filter can stop water molecules. :D

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Hello:

No for all, it is safe to change all of those
Sponsored