Is Hondata worth buying for a daily driver?

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I've learned in my short time on this earth that there is NO free lunch. My cubicle neighbor flashed his new Golf. We rode in it after the flash, and man what a difference! The first time he told me he was going to flash it I told him about enough is never enough-you're gonna blow that engine trying to find how far you can go.....He told me no way, the place I took it to told me that this was completely safe, "THEY GUARANTEE IT"!!! A couple of weeks later-you guessed it-exploded engine...

Fortunately this happened right as VW was getting maximum sh*t from the press for the emissions, so after a couple of weeks they gave him a new engine.

Moral of the story? Chipping your engine is directly under the heading of "Enough is Never Enough". Because it isn't.

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I've learned in my short time on this earth that there is NO free lunch. My cubicle neighbor flashed his new Golf. We rode in it after the flash, and man what a difference! The first time he told me he was going to flash it I told him about enough is never enough-you're gonna blow that engine trying to find how far you can go.....He told me no way, the place I took it to told me that this was completely safe, "THEY GUARANTEE IT"!!! A couple of weeks later-you guessed it-exploded engine...

Fortunately this happened right as VW was getting maximum sh*t from the press for the emissions, so after a couple of weeks they gave him a new engine.

Moral of the story? Chipping your engine is directly under the heading of "Enough is Never Enough". Because it isn't.
There is always a small chance of engine troubles when you begging to mode it. But as long as you making research and not going WOT in a cold car with a launch. It should be fine. Usually the problem is when it’s your first sport car and people things that you can just press pedal all in and it will be fine....

In simple words if you have patience to learn how to use it and you are not abusing your car - Tunning is fine.
if you just want to go crazy and abuse car constantly, leave it stock and do so, you’ll still blow it up but at least Honda will fix it for you.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

It's true. Ever since I started, I've been on a nonstop hunt for more power. Mostly as a curiosity of how to do it, though. It's also true that any increase in power is an increase in wear and tear, one way or the other.

However, it should be known that the Type R's computer does a few things that others do not that make it significantly safer to tune than most other platforms or even other 10th gen Hondas. The biggest one is that even during WOT, all the way to redline, the system is still in closed loop controlling the fuel trims with a built-in wideband sensor. It's hilariously easy for tuners to control the fuel properly.

The other one is that our ECU bases everything off of air charge, an index that isn't influenced by climate. We don't just blindly target a certain boost pressure.

There have been a handful of engine failures, but it's almost always been someone pushing it to the limits like a race team or someone showing off their antilag. As far as I'm aware, nobody's lost an engine on a basemap.

Last edited:

vasekvi

First Name
Vasek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Quick clip of my 2017 vs a brand new 2020 from a roll.

I am on the Hondata 93 tune with PRL HVI, Charge Pipe Upgrade and IC
My friend's boost blue is stock.

I also have a sub box with two 10s in the hatch.

Ill put a better video together as I have go pro footage too, but this clip clearly shows a nice gain in acceleration.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Chipping? It's *flash*pro, none of that signal spoofing junk.

Kefi's right, in the year I've had it I can't even imagine trying to count how many times I've reflashed or made some little tweak lol. It's addicting, engaging, and rewarding. Big thanks to @boosted180sx who has been a big help going over logs and tips and such.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Poor choice of terms but I meant to say Flashing, lol.
Chipping? It's *flash*pro, none of that signal spoofing junk.

Kefi's right, in the year I've had it I can't even imagine trying to count how many times I've reflashed or made some little tweak lol. It's addicting, engaging, and rewarding. Big thanks to @boosted180sx who has been a big help going over logs and tips and such.
Sponsored