amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I’m quick to call out a placebo. If I feel no difference I will let everyone know. But if it helps in any way I think the little extra cost would be worth it
A placebo doesn't last over 10k, which is how long I have had it in my transmission. But even if you think it's a placebo effect, if you believe the technical documentation Amsoil Synchromesh is superior to OEM due to high viscosity at higher temps, higher flashpoint, better shear protection and longer change intervals. The cost difference is negligible
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If I recall, it was wrong then lol
Than I guess the image from the Honda documentation I pulled it from is wrong, as well as their service department who told me the same thing. I don't know what else to tell you. My hat ran out of rabbits

Last edited:
OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Again? Proof?
From Honda Canada site:
Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed every 40,000 km.

40K KM = 25K miles

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
From Honda Canada site:
Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed every 40,000 km.

40K KM = 25K miles
Transmission service falls under MM subcode 3 which the Honda Maintenance department told me is around 20 to 30K (miles)

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
From Honda Canada site:

40K KM = 25K miles
Yes that's worst case scenario. It's not standard.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Transmission service falls under MM subcode 3 which the Honda Maintenance department told me is around 20 to 30K (miles)
Than I guess the image from the Honda documentation I pulled it from is wrong, as well as their service department who told me the same thing. I don't know what else to tell you. My hat ran out of rabbits
My point was that you keep saying it as if it's a set mileage and then said "around" 20-30k. It seems to be dependent on driving conditions just like the oil change is in the MM.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My point was that you keep saying it as if it's a set mileage and then said "around" 20-30k. It seems to be dependent on driving conditions just like the oil change is in the MM.
Agreed. The number I provided is only a reference which came from the maintenance manual. I didn't mean it was set in stone

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Agreed. The number I provided is only a reference which came from the maintenance manual. I didn't mean it was set in stone
Funny enough, I got my cars annual safety/emissions inspection a few days ago and my car is at 30k and the independent shop tech said my car is due for a MTF change. He has no idea if I changed it or not yet he "knew" I was due. :rolleyes:

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Funny enough, I got my cars annual safety/emissions inspection a few days ago and my car is at 30k and the independent shop tech said my car is due for a MTF change. He has no idea if I changed it or not yet he "knew" I was due. :rolleyes:
the honda dealer i use service manager said the mtf is in the maintenance minder 8). sub item 3 i think.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
He must be going off the printed maintenance schedule

metzb1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a 2006 Accord EX6 with a 6 speed. There was a TSB for the second gear synchro and the problem caused difficult shifting in to second gear on occasion (often resulting in missed shifts). No way I was going to let a tech tear my transmission apart, so I lived with it. I read on a forum that some people had tried Synchromesh and it solved the second gear synchro issue for them. I figured I'd give it a try. Synchromesh solved the problem for me as well and also resulted in smoother shifts. I ran Synchromesh for about 60,000 miles in the car and had no problems whatsoever.

I bought a new Si in '17. Shifts were a bit crunchy, so I replaced the stock MT lube with Synchromesh at about 7k. Shifts are slightly smoother now and the box doesn't feel as notchy to me. Not a "night and day" difference like the Accord, but definitely an improvement. No problems so far with an additional 10k on the car.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Yes that's worst case scenario. It's not standard.
Agreed, same as other fluids and filters, change frequencies depend on how one drives the car and the environments. On the safe side, I would follow the 25K miles schedule.

I just did my first MTF change at 21K miles last Monday. The Amsoil did improve the shifting a bit but nothing significant. Definitely not as “day and night” improvement like other members here raved about. Note that shiftings of my Canadian SI were great to start with. Still, better is better so I am happy with the Amsoil. The $20CAN difference in MTF cost is worth the money.

Last edited:

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
no they don't, because the only approved MTF is the honda fluid,

the following is copied and pasted from the HONDA SHOP/DEALER SERVICE MANUAL

Always use Honda Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF)

NOTE: Using the wrong type of fluid will damage the transmission.
Honda MTF is the most basic that the car can and will take. Using a higher grade fluid won't harm the transmission unless its too thick or just straight up the wrong fluid. Clearly you get your information out of a cereal box
Sponsored