Is "Honda FK8 Civic Type R Product Reviews Group" a SCAM??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TacticalToolbox

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
YouTube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2009 FA5
Country flag
This isn't a post I wanted to write.

However, I'm trying to find some answers to some questions I have.

Over the past 8-9 months I enjoyed reading the reviews and "How-To's" in the "FK8 Product Reviews" FB Group.

About a month or so ago I was looking for an install tutorial I saw in the group, but for some reason I was banned.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is "Honda FK8 Civic Type R Product Reviews Group" a SCAM?? 1590445192631

I thought this was odd considering I don't remember leaving any comments or making any
posts to the group for them to have grounds to ban me. Then again my memory could be failing me.

So I began to do some research into the matter.

First I tagged them in an Instagram comment asking them to send me a DM regarding the matter.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is "Honda FK8 Civic Type R Product Reviews Group" a SCAM?? 1590445271592

After a week with no response, My wife used her account to find out who the Admins were in the "FK8 Product Reviews Group" so I could send them a message.

So I messaged them from wife's account.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is "Honda FK8 Civic Type R Product Reviews Group" a SCAM?? 1590445320137

Honda Civic 10th gen Is "Honda FK8 Civic Type R Product Reviews Group" a SCAM?? 1590445360766

After a few days, I check the messages to see if there was a response.

There wasn't a response, However, now my wife's account is banned from the group.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is "Honda FK8 Civic Type R Product Reviews Group" a SCAM?? 1590445409733

So I began to dig deeper.

I noticed that "FK8 Product Reviews Group" claims to be "Non-Profit"

Honda Civic 10th gen Is "Honda FK8 Civic Type R Product Reviews Group" a SCAM?? 1590445144709

What is a Non-Profit?

Honda Civic 10th gen Is "Honda FK8 Civic Type R Product Reviews Group" a SCAM?? 1590445538684

Because I own a non-profit and know the rules and regulations.
I performed a search at IRS.gov for their non-profit status.

To my surprise, I couldn't find anything.

According to federal law all operating non-profits must submit their financials and this is considered public information.

Examples:

Honda Civic 10th gen Is "Honda FK8 Civic Type R Product Reviews Group" a SCAM?? 1590445952242

Honda Civic 10th gen Is "Honda FK8 Civic Type R Product Reviews Group" a SCAM?? 1590445996528

Furthermore,

If they aren't classified as a "non-profit", even if the members of the group don't earn money from the group.

According to the IRS Free Product in exchange for a review is classified as monetary income based on the fair market value of the product received.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is "Honda FK8 Civic Type R Product Reviews Group" a SCAM?? 1590446688202

Therefore if the group isn't operating under a 501C(3) status, they're classified as for profit as long as they receive free product

I'm not mad about being banned from the group at all, I was mainly just confused on the reasoning.

However, I'm more worried about their claims they're making on being a "Non-Profit" as many people trust their reviews.

Therefore I'm asking "FK8 Product Reviews Group" to submit their "Form 990" to the CivicX group to prove they haven't been lying about their non-profit status.

Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Oh wow, I did not notice that they were listed as a non-profit. So the review page is not a "scam" as they don't same users out of money. They are heavily biased though and create "partnerships" with products and manufacturers. I know in the past some companies were approached to pay them to write a favorable review (or get a product sample, etc.). When that didn't happen, they started bad mouthing that manufacturer and slandering them. I'm not sure if they are indeed a non-profit as I don't have enough information to know for sure.

Edit: if you said something that a certain admin of the group doesn't like (or agree with), he has a tendency to ban you. Something could be as small as arguing that the rumored Phoenix yellow Civic Type R is possibly real (this was before the LE was announced).

Last edited:

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I remember there used to be a user on here (I believe his user name was ctrmofo) with a white CTR that was either the owner, or associated with this group. The only reason I remember this is because he used to flaunt pictures of his fancy garage and Lambo in the CTR forum threads. I don't think he posts here anymore though, and hasn't for a long time.

OP
OP
TacticalToolbox

TacticalToolbox

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
YouTube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I remember there used to be a user on here (I believe his user name was ctrmofo) with a white CTR that was either the owner, or associated with this group. The only reason I remember this is because he used to flaunt pictures of his fancy garage and Lambo in the CTR forum threads. I don't think he posts here anymore though, and hasn't for a long time.
Oh really? I'll look him up

OP
OP
TacticalToolbox

TacticalToolbox

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
YouTube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've heard the same things.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
welcome to Fk8 Product Review group. you disagree with his reviews or bad mouth a company he has a "partnership" with you get banned.
non partners posting in their partners thread gets you banned and the post deleted.
Either pay a fee or provide them with free samples to be a partner in that group.

OP
OP
TacticalToolbox

TacticalToolbox

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
YouTube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
welcome to Fk8 Product Review group. you disagree with his reviews or bad mouth a company he has a "partnership" with you get banned.
non partners posting in their partners thread gets you banned and the post deleted.
Either pay a fee or provide them with free samples to be a partner in that group.
Whoa... That's nuts man

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 FK8, ā€˜19 XC60 R-Design, ā€˜17 ZL1, ā€˜02 SS
Country flag
I remember there used to be a user on here (I believe his user name was ctrmofo).....I don't think he posts here anymore though, and hasn't for a long time.
Thankfully.

He once referred to himself as ā€œThe Ben Shapiro of car mods.ā€

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You won't find him, pretty sure he's banned or something.
Was about to say, I thought he got banned from here a while ago.

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
This is pretty much spot on lol

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup, the group is a joke. Pay to play, certainly not ā€œnon-profitā€.

I got banned because I argued against his claim of RV6 ā€œ9-way adjustableā€ sway bar. Iā€™m like dude, the bar has 3 holes, how TF do you claim 9 way. He proceeded to talk down on me as if he knows everything in the universe and Iā€™m some idiot with no racing credentials.

He claimed to be a Porsche club instructor with over 10,000 track miles. When asked to produce pictures, videos or lap times, he couldnā€™t. Because he doesnt track, and has no real world experience with tuner cars except getting groceries. A ā€œtoonerā€ at best.

Stay far away from that group, itā€™s a joke.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
That whole group is a joke. They give out so much incorrect info the second you try to nicely correct them they ban you. Wouldn't listen a thing those jokers say, the one who started it, Aston love to post my Lambo got banned from this forum LOL

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
That whole group is a joke. They give out so much incorrect info the second you try to nicely correct them they ban you. Wouldn't listen a thing those jokers say, the one who started it, Aston love to post my Lambo got banned from this forum LOL
That's was your Lambo? It seemed like he was trying to get everyone to believe it was his :p
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.