Is Coilovers/Springs right for me? - Post your thoughts.

aegeanbluecivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic SGP Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hi All,

I've gone through a few threads and I have seen a fair share of various problem threads after installation. I want to give my exact driving situation and would like some suggestions based on your feedback after wearing coils/springs on your ride. If it helps I am driving a 2021 Civic Hatchback Sport with roughly 150 miles currently.

From my understanding you do not want to cheap out on the coilovers and go with a reputable brand which is what I plan to do (at most 2k I would like to spend on the coils). Since I am not mechanic savvy most likely I will have a reputable shop do the installation for peace of mind. There is also mention of a bypass as I read some codes will throw up every time you start the code unless you pay an additional few hundred for this system which is what I'm also interested in. Then of course there is the alignment afterwards. I also read about coilover maintenance which is not required on springs?

The thing is I don't drive as long as I would like, my last car I drove around 4000 miles for each year for the past 3 years (Rare in San Diego, I know). I do a mix of highway and city and the roads in San Diego vary, some pot holes here and there with perhaps seeing speedbumps daily so I'm mindful of how low I want to go. Honestly the lowest I would go is probably 1 inch hence why potentially I may go the springs route.

What I want to know is what is your spring/coilover set up and were there any things you would have done differently (post pics of your car setup too please!)? Ride quality is somewhat important to me and possibly it is better to stay stock however the wheel gap (below) is just a little off-putting whenever I see my car and I love from what I see on everyone else's ride when it's slightly lowered. In the meantime thank you very much for taking your time to read and respond!

Honda Civic 10th gen Is Coilovers/Springs right for me? - Post your thoughts. 243424595_6208899799184590_834382057977175773_n
Sponsored

no1uknw

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
Hi All,

I've gone through a few threads and I have seen a fair share of various problem threads after installation. I want to give my exact driving situation and would like some suggestions based on your feedback after wearing coils/springs on your ride. If it helps I am driving a 2021 Civic Hatchback Sport with roughly 150 miles currently.

From my understanding you do not want to cheap out on the coilovers and go with a reputable brand which is what I plan to do (at most 2k I would like to spend on the coils). Since I am not mechanic savvy most likely I will have a reputable shop do the installation for peace of mind. There is also mention of a bypass as I read some codes will throw up every time you start the code unless you pay an additional few hundred for this system which is what I'm also interested in. Then of course there is the alignment afterwards. I also read about coilover maintenance which is not required on springs?

The thing is I don't drive as long as I would like, my last car I drove around 4000 miles for each year for the past 3 years (Rare in San Diego, I know). I do a mix of highway and city and the roads in San Diego vary, some pot holes here and there with perhaps seeing speedbumps daily so I'm mindful of how low I want to go. Honestly the lowest I would go is probably 1 inch hence why potentially I may go the springs route.

What I want to know is what is your spring/coilover set up and were there any things you would have done differently (post pics of your car setup too please!)? Ride quality is somewhat important to me and possibly it is better to stay stock however the wheel gap (below) is just a little off-putting whenever I see my car and I love from what I see on everyone else's ride when it's slightly lowered. In the meantime thank you very much for taking your time to read and respond!

243424595_6208899799184590_834382057977175773_n.jpg
I lowered my 21 sport hatch on Eibach Sportlines and so far they have been great. I usually always install coilovers on my cars but just wanted to fix the wheel gap in the meantime (BC is nearly two months out and winter is on the way). You wont need any type of bypass module with the sport hatch, I have only seen that mentioned on the si due to the factory dampening when putting the car in sport mode. For what you mentioned though I would probably go with the whiteline lowering springs.

NukeKS14

First Name
A.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe, 1995 240sx, '65 Cobra Repl.
Country flag
I commute/daily my 2020 Si coupe. I have a mix of highway and backroads that I drive on, as well as city driving and I also do roadtrips in this car with my wife. Big things I wanted were it to not be too harsh, handle well, and get rid of some of the wheel gap. I also didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on a car I am most likely not going to be tracking.

I went with Eibach Pro springs on the stock Si struts and trimmed the bumpstops accordingly. 1" drop all around. it sits about the perfect height IMO, I don't have trouble clearing driveways or speed bumps. Didn't cost an arm and a leg and I get to keep my sport mode changeover on strut damping. I also like the progressive rate on the springs.

I have an S14 on HKS coilovers and a mixture of poly and solid bushings. It's a bit too harsh for most people to ride in with me but this is the exact opposite; It's just about perfect. No wheel gap, but it's not slammed to the point of losing functionality as a daily/commuter. It still handles great. Win/win.

If you want to increase handling a bit further, save the money you were going to spend on the coilovers and grab a rear ASB too and you'll be plenty happy short of doing full out track days I'd think.
Honda Civic 10th gen Is Coilovers/Springs right for me? - Post your thoughts. Civic2

Honda Civic 10th gen Is Coilovers/Springs right for me? - Post your thoughts. Dside

Honda Civic 10th gen Is Coilovers/Springs right for me? - Post your thoughts. P-Side

Last edited:
OP
OP
aegeanbluecivic

aegeanbluecivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic SGP Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I lowered my 21 sport hatch on Eibach Sportlines and so far they have been great. I usually always install coilovers on my cars but just wanted to fix the wheel gap in the meantime (BC is nearly two months out and winter is on the way). You wont need any type of bypass module with the sport hatch, I have only seen that mentioned on the si due to the factory dampening when putting the car in sport mode. For what you mentioned though I would probably go with the whiteline lowering springs.
Thank you for the insight! Yes I was contemplating between Eibach Sportlines or the Tiens however Whiteline doesn't look to bad either and the drop is modest after doing a search. Glad to know I won't have to spend anything additional on a bypass! What a relief!

I commute/daily my 2020 Si coupe. I have a mix of highway and backroads that I drive on, as well as city driving and I also do roadtrips in this car with my wife. Big things I wanted were it to not be too harsh, handle well, and get rid of some of the wheel gap. I also didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on a car I am most likely not going to be tracking.

I went with Eibach Pro springs on the stock Si struts and trimmed the bumpstops accordingly. 1" drop all around. it sits about the perfect height IMO, I don't have trouble clearing driveways or speed bumps. Didn't cost an arm and a leg and I get to keep my sport mode changeover on strut damping. I also like the progressive rate on the springs.

I have an S14 on HKS coilovers and a mixture of poly and solid bushings. It's a bit too harsh for most people to ride in with me but this is the exact opposite; It's just about perfect. No wheel gap, but it's not slammed to the point of losing functionality as a daily/commuter. It still handles great. Win/win.

If you want to increase handling a bit further, save the money you were going to spend on the coilovers and grab a rear ASB too and you'll be plenty happy short of doing full out track days I'd think.
That car is clean! Off topic but digging those splash guards! Most likely going to pick some up myself when I get around it. I'm in agreement don't want to invest a ton into suspension however do want to make sure I'm not putting too much strain on the car to where I would have a gift repair later down the road. Most likely will roll with the Whitelines based on my specific need, the Eibach Pro's do have a nice fitment I must say! Thank you so much for the insight it's greatly appreciated!
Sponsored