Ajk42189

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic type R
Country flag
I am prepared to pay about 1300 for a ceramic coating on my 2021 fk8. What do y’all think?! Are ceramic coatings worth it?
Sponsored

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
depends on what services you are getting at that price and obviously how well they install it.

I had a package done that included obviously a wash, but also a 1 step polish before applying a 3 year ceramic which goes for about $1000. The product itself is great too.

As far as post coating benefits, my washes are a lot easier when it comes to drying, I use my leaf blower and get 80-90% of the water off that way.

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I've heard Graphene Coating is better than Ceramic Coating. Seen a Type R guy from a civic meet said he used to use Ceramic but changed to Graphene and decided to use Graphene from now on.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I've heard Graphene Coating is better than Ceramic Coating. Seen a Type R guy from a civic meet said he used to use Ceramic but changed to Graphene and decided to use Graphene from now on.
I shoot content for a local detailer and have done so for a while now and a few years ago I did some content for one of the first companies to begin incorporating graphene into their coatings and detailing products. This was long before Ethos and other consumer grade products started appearing on the shelves that contained graphene. Graphene has unfortunately turned into a hype word for marketing purposes and imo, anything consumer grade isnt worth it.

However if anyone is interested in graphene coatings, I highly suggest looking into SPS coatings. Really great stuff from what ive been told.

A shot from my type R below.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is ceramic coating worth it? Fk8 Graphene-1764

Last edited:

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
$1300?? Some people love spending money I guess. Can anyone really visually tell a difference between pro vs diy? I can't.

OP
OP
Ajk42189

Ajk42189

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic type R
Country flag
$1300?? Some people love spending money I guess. Can anyone really visually tell a difference between pro vs diy? I can't.
It’s a quote. That’s why I am asking for other peoples opinions. I don’t know if I want to spend that much on something that doesn’t really have much benefits.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
IMO, use that money for PPF instead. $1300 gets you full front end PPF and will offer significantly more protection. You can do your own ceramic sprays monthly with minimum time and get similar results to a full professional ceramic coat.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Not for me. I garage and work from home so not exposed to much weather or UV. PPF on the other hand I wish I would have gotten it day 1.

OP
OP
Ajk42189

Ajk42189

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic type R
Country flag
Do it yourself. The kits are not expensive, prep is pretty easy, and it lets you burn a few hours if you have extra time. I ceramic coated mine myself and it looked as good as anyone I knew who had shops do it and I got all the benefits like easy washing and beading water too. Total cost all in was probably 1/10th of if a shop did it and didn't have to give my car up either.
Is there a special way it has to be applied? Or you kind of just spread it all over your car?

OP
OP
Ajk42189

Ajk42189

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic type R
Country flag
Not for me. I garage and work from home so not exposed to much weather or UV. PPF on the other hand I wish I would have gotten it day 1.
Me too! I have rock chips on the front of my car and I have only had the car for 2 months ?

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
Me too! I have rock chips on the front of my car and I have only had the car for 2 months ?
I got PPF done at 800 miles. I had 1 small rock chip... "Luckily" they have to redo the hood as some grease or something got under it so I got a paint pen and they said they would fix it. Its small enough that it wont be an issue. Just sucks that it got it before I had a chance to get the PPF.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine cost around $1000 .Your prep needs to be perfect meaning ,wash ,clay ,decontaminate the entire car , polish the entire car get rid of all of the swirls ,scratches, degrease , and then you can apply the coating .Also if the coating is any descent it needs to cure under UV light a few hours ,and further cure 10-12hours and do that 2 times.I have N-XTC coating which is a 3 or 4 layer coating which is a 2-3 layer hard undercoating with final topcoat that gives the beading and sheating.
I don't think anybody can do all these steps at home perfectly.You need all the equipment ,clean garage and knowledge.
I have my coating 2 years now allready saved my ass from a huge scratch which went true the coating and into the clear coat .Without the coating this would have been onto the metal .My coating is also self healing ,meaning light scratches can go away by pouring hott water over it.My detailer also told me the paint on the newer honda's is not so much thin but very soft.After 6months of owning my car and daily driving a lot of highway the front end got chips everywhere.With the coating it still chips sometimes but a whole lot less then before.
Cleaning is also much easier ,my coating gets a "service" every year in which the top coat gets redone .This keeps it optimal.

Last edited:

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It’s a quote. That’s why I am asking for other peoples opinions. I don’t know if I want to spend that much on something that doesn’t really have much benefits.
Sorry, it was not my intention to accuse you of being a spendthrift - I'm just amazed that some people actually pay that exorbitant price for ceramic.

edit: After reading more about it, it's obvious I don't know a whole lot about real, professional ceramic coatings. ?
Sponsored