Is buying the wheel/tire insurance a no Brainer?

Sup_Devil

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Pilot, S2000, 2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi all ,

So I just got the email from my dealer that my 2019 Championship White CTR literally just rolled off the truck. Aside from freaking out because it's like 3 weeks early, I'm thinking it totally makes sense to buy the tire and wheel protection package on this car correct? I believe it's around $895..... Does anyone have an opinion one way or another? Thanks!
Sponsored

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
How are the roads where you live? Considering where I drive mine around Jacksonville, FL, it doesn't make any sense for me to purchase it, but we have pretty good roads. If the roads where you live have potholes that you might not be able to see and avoid in time, I'd get it.

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
Tires are extremely soft and have a short lifespan. Many people are cracking wheels on pot holes and having to order another. The most popular choice is going with 18's or 19's and getting a little more sidewall with a bigger tire. I did not pay for it but bought some motegi mr133 18's for like 600 and some Conti DSW06s within 5000 miles.

OP
OP
Sup_Devil

Sup_Devil

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How are the roads where you live? Considering where I drive mine around Jacksonville, FL, it doesn't make any sense for me to purchase it, but we have pretty good roads. If the roads where you live have potholes that you might not be able to see and avoid in time, I'd get it.
I'm in the Tampa Bay area. Roads are good for the most part but there are some rough spots. Don't have to worry about snow tires etc. And it's not going to be my daily driver so maybe I'll be ok without.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If it's not your daily and you live in FL, I definitely wouldn't get it. Even if one of your tires gets messed up, you can buy a set of two of the Conti's to replace it for $600, put the new tires on and keep the good one from the car so you have a spare in case it happens again, and still be ahead of the price of the protection package.

Deleted member

Be sure to read the wheel insurance policy carefully. Many cover curbed/scuffed wheels but do not cover bent wheels.

Deleted member

Be sure to read the wheel insurance policy carefully. Many cover curbed/scuffed wheels but do not cover bent wheels.

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
I can't remember what I paid for that on my Challenger, but they did replace one tire... and theoretically would have repaired the 'curbed' damage on three of the four 'red line' wheels had I bother to take it in for that. I expect the wheel repair plus the one tire would've made me 'even'.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Mine told me the opposite was true that they covered bent wheels but not curbed/scuffed wheels. Now I really need to read my agreement. I've got a bad habit of curbing my wheels :( It's a shame I live with.

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
No dog in this fight, but it seems like they should cover bent wheels but not scuffed wheels to me. If you are driving around and smoke a pothole that is on the actual road and bend your OEM rubber band covered wheels to the point it affects safety, that should be covered IMO. If you go around curbing your wheels everywhere you go, that seems really nice of Honda to cover for superficial reasons due to bad driving.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I bought it from Honda for $795 I think. I don't even have the wheels on the car now but for the 7000 miles I had them on the car for I was nervous the entire time even with the coverage. I drilled a couple of potholes that I swore were going to wreck the wheels but they survived everything without a scratch. You might have good roads, but if a 2x4 or some shit is laying in the road you're going to have a pretty expensive bill. I looked at it as a $20 a month insurance policy on my 3 year lease.

thavens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hond Accord Sedan
Country flag
If you arent going to upgrade your wheels and actually use the stock wheels get the insurance. Honda cost is $525 or close to that so you can talk to them down. If you are changing out the wheels don't worry about it. Personally the wheels suck and I wouldn't cruise them.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
Hi all ,

So I just got the email from my dealer that my 2019 Championship White CTR literally just rolled off the truck. Aside from freaking out because it's like 3 weeks early, I'm thinking it totally makes sense to buy the tire and wheel protection package on this car correct? I believe it's around $895..... Does anyone have an opinion one way or another? Thanks!
DOH! $895....wow, i would not at that price. I got mine for $299 for 5 years. no co-pay, covers OEM and non-OEM wheels/tires.

megaphone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR R-16412
Country flag
I paid $500 for 5 year unlimited mile. It covers wheels and tires, you guys had me go back and reread it and mine states if the new tire won’t hold air (aka a bent wheel) then they will replace the wheel. If there are aftermarket wheels on the vehicle and I am just responsible for the difference! Still seems like a good deal to me!

OP
OP
Sup_Devil

Sup_Devil

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
DOH! $895....wow, i would not at that price. I got mine for $299 for 5 years. no co-pay, covers OEM and non-OEM wheels/tires.
I'll have to double check with the dealer. I had seen a few guys say that's what they had been quoted so I just assumed it was pretty standard. If it's $299 that seems like a great deal!
Sponsored