Is auto heat/cool worse?

TinoMills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I start my car and automatically throw it in Auto heat/cool most of the time because it just seems easier, but I'm starting to notice that it kind of sucks. Most of the time I'll put it on auto and the fans will blow real slow in the footwell. I was using heat and I know it seems most logical because heat rises but most of the time I find myself just using the manual fan adjustment fan dial and the climate button to control the direction because in all honesty the cabin heats up faster and its like the car doesn't know that. It should go on full blast or at least medium speed until the cabin is the desired temp. Defog doesn't even come on by default when its less than 32 degrees. This is the same in the summer when it's on a/c. Its really stupid man. Does anyone feel the same? Sorry for the rant.
Sponsored

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have never been able to use AUTO in any of my cars, it doesn't do what i need!!!:( I didn't even try on the Civic. Sometimes it is not safe or easy to access the climate menu when driving in heavy traffic, a working Auto function would help.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
I'm close by (Rochester), so I know what cold temps are like :p I just got my hatch two weeks ago and just put 100 miles on it so far, so I don't have too much experience here. It seems to do alright, though I do remote start the car and then enter after 2-3 mins. While driving it seems to keep the windows clear of fog, so that's good. Anyways, I'll keep an eye on this...

The only complaint I do have is I wish there were more buttons for the manual climate control as doing it through the infotainment system is a bit slower/distracting.

RallyCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport 6MT Sonic Grey
Vehicle Showcase
My hatch sport model has the basic climate controls and I've been testing the auto setting for my first 1000 miles. We've had cold temps early this winter in Indiana too. All in all, the auto setting works ok for me, I like how it waits until the vehicle itself is warm before kicking in higher. Most days i can leave temperature set and only adjust a degree or two. In the morning I use the manual defrost but then once I'm rolling, the auto setting seems to keep the window defrosted too.
But, I should add that I drove a '71 MGB GT all summer and into November. By the time I got my Civic I was grateful just to have a working heater! :drive:

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
I liked the auto climate control that i had on my mercedes a few years ago. I could set which vents i wanted and the temp. It would adjust the fan speed and heat/cool to obtain the desired temperature.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In any car, I've never used auto heat, I've only used auto A/C. Auto heat always seems a little off to me, not the temp/fan speed I want.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Auto heat/cool works fine for me. If it's a really cold or hot day I might have to adjust it a few degrees. One thing I really hate about it on auto heat is it blows on your foot. Makes my feet all sweaty

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
Auto heat works great because it won't "ramp" up until the engine is properly warm enough to get some hot coolant in the heater core. Nothing worse than blowing ice cold air into your cabin, which actually can slow down the engine's warm-up.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This morning i tried the auto function. After a while I lowered 1 degree the temp and the car decided to turn on the AC. Turned off AUTO forever :(

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
This morning i tried the auto function. After a while I lowered 1 degree the temp and the car decided to turn on the AC. Turned off AUTO forever :(
whats wrong with it turning the a/c on?
the car has a variable compressor. so it wont put that much load on the engine. you can use the a/c on heat or cool. it will remove the moisture in the air

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It works fine for me, but I don't like how the car closes the outside air vent when trying to cool the car in economy. I like knowing there's nice fresh oxygen getting into the cabin.

I've started getting in the habit of turning on the defrost before I park for the evening in case I want to use the Autostart in the morning. I love that feature.

I also love the seat-heaters. So nice on short trips where the car doesn't get up to temperature anyway.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
main thing I've noticed is the cabin of my LX coupe must be sealed really tight because even in the coldest weather I have turn turn the heat way down after the car warms up because it gets too hot in there. I have to go to auto and set the temp at 70. I'm guessing it then mixes in a little outside air(?)

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335 xDrive, 2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Porsche Boxster S, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
It works fine for me, but I don't like how the car closes the outside air vent when trying to cool the car in economy. I like knowing there's nice fresh oxygen getting into the cabin.

I've started getting in the habit of turning on the defrost before I park for the evening in case I want to use the Autostart in the morning. I love that feature.

I also love the seat-heaters. So nice on short trips where the car doesn't get up to temperature anyway.
I believe Autostart always turns on the front and rear defrosters and turns on the seat heating when it is cold outside, at least mine does that. However I'm not clear what happens next when get in the car and press the start button. I know the front defroster turns off and the climate control reverts back to the previous setting, which for me is full auto. Not sure if the rear defroster and the seat warmers turn off or stays on though. I need to pay more attention to it th next time I use autostart.

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335 xDrive, 2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Porsche Boxster S, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I start my car and automatically throw it in Auto heat/cool most of the time because it just seems easier, but I'm starting to notice that it kind of sucks. Most of the time I'll put it on auto and the fans will blow real slow in the footwell. I was using heat and I know it seems most logical because heat rises but most of the time I find myself just using the manual fan adjustment fan dial and the climate button to control the direction because in all honesty the cabin heats up faster and its like the car doesn't know that. It should go on full blast or at least medium speed until the cabin is the desired temp. Defog doesn't even come on by default when its less than 32 degrees. This is the same in the summer when it's on a/c. Its really stupid man. Does anyone feel the same? Sorry for the rant.
I only ever use Auto. I believe the fan for heat doesn't really get going until the engine is warmed up a bit so that it doesn't blow cold air into the footwell. I do notice in the winter, no air comes out of the center vents, only the side vents, front windshield and footwell. In the summer, all front vents are on, except for the footwell. This set up seems to work ok for me, but I can see how everyone's preference will be different.
Sponsored