Is anyone thinking of trading in their FK8 Type R for the new FL5 Type R ?

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
I'm not trading in my CTR, but I am indeed buying the new 11th gen CTR. It's never really been about if I'll get one, but when.

I'm going to try and hold out for the refresh model since historically speaking, I've always been a fan of the refresh Honda does on their lineup (ie the 8th and 9th gen Civic Si, and of course, the 10th gen CTR).

I actually just bought a new house with 12 foot garage ceilings, so I'm shopping lifts to store my CTR LE up high and parking the new CTR below it. I've got lots of time to wait until a refresh comes out to get my ducks in order with a lift and the new home.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
If I could find one locally that's not "in transit" or "we can get it for you" I would.
Thought about selling the R and just getting a 22 Civic Touring-until I remembered the ADM-which is NEVER advertised. I just get tired of obsessing about this car. Even after 3 years I can't stop. It's exhausting-then I drive it and think, am I crazy? Get rid of this!?
Man just enjoy the car you know how good it is - you've had a lot of other cars I suspect, as have I, and this is still the best car to drive. Shockingly I still like driving the Type R over the 2022 RS3 I bought my wife, or the M2 as well. Crazy good car / best stickshift made imo.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Man just enjoy the car you know how good it is - you've had a lot of other cars I suspect, as have I, and this is still the best car to drive. Shockingly I still like driving the Type R over the 2022 RS3 I bought my wife, or the M2 as well. Crazy good car / best stickshift made imo.
Yeah it's the most fun car I've ever owned-except for my MG Midget. M2 would be a nice "Sunday-go-to-meeting" car lol.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
Keeping my 19 Fk8 CTR. I like the bold/exotic style, car still amazes me when looking at it, the sense of occasion. No pertinent reason to trade it in. I plan to keep it forever.
Money are too hard worked to throw them away on upgrading. Plus time spent installing accessories, ceramic coating it, etc. Don't want to go through that again.
Besides that the new exterior design is too tame, generic looking for me. There will be improvements in some areas but overall performance won't be a huge leap. Best case if it proves itself worthy the fl5 ctr will be a candidate on the list of interesting drivers cars I could buy in 10-15 years. If a good deal comes for a clean well kept one.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
Yeah it's the most fun car I've ever owned-except for my MG Midget.
MG Midget?

I had its sister, the Austin Healey Sprite, that I bought new in 1967. Awful car.
The first thing that happened was when I was going down the highway at about 70 MPH. The engine just broke. By 'broke' I mean the block split in half. The head was the only thing holding it together. It seems the crank broke in half at the center bearing. I got a new engine under warranty.
About a month later the transmission went south. Austin said that was probably related to the engine seizing suddenly and replaced the transmission.
I gave up on it after that.
It was kind of fun to drive, though.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
MG Midget?

I had its sister, the Austin Healey Sprite, that I bought new in 1967. Awful car.
The first thing that happened was when I was going down the highway at about 70 MPH. The engine just broke. By 'broke' I mean the block split in half. The head was the only thing holding it together. It seems the crank broke in half at the center bearing. I got a new engine under warranty.
About a month later the transmission went south. Austin said that was probably related to the engine seizing suddenly and replaced the transmission.
I got mine brand new the last year made, '79. I loved that car. Had a lot of people pull out in front of me and always said "I didn't see you"! It was british green,the color of grass lol. The only mechanical problem I ever had with it was the slave cylinder once, and occasionally when driven hard and parked, the carbs would heat soak and not work.
After a pretty idiotic Quaalude induced ditching, the body shop totaled it.
Oh well, I had a good run with it! Like a damn go-cart.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
After the hassle the dealers make you go though to get one at MSRP...Fuck Honda and Fuck the TYPE R. I'm not doing this buying experience again. Im good with what i got

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Country flag
Nah FK8 is basically where I want it to be. For those on the fence or wondering if an incremental upgrade is worth it...especially if you're paid off already...I honestly recommend you shop for other experiences. I don't mean go out and buy another fun car right now. But maybe consider something different for a day or two.

Go to track experiences (SpeedVegas, Porsche Experience Center, etc.) or through Turo and experience other fast cars. It's a nice recalibration and a good reminder that unless the next generation is massively better there's other cars you can aspire to and hell you get reminded of how good this generation Type R is to drive.

Personally - I'd hold on to this until we can't get gas for it anymore and get into something with an engine in the middle in a few years. Or if that Hyundai N Vision 74 is ever a thing...what a smoke show.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is anyone thinking of trading in their FK8 Type R for the new FL5 Type R ? gallery-05-n-vision74

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
Nah FK8 is basically where I want it to be. For those on the fence or wondering if an incremental upgrade is worth it...especially if you're paid off already...I honestly recommend you shop for other experiences. I don't mean go out and buy another fun car right now. But maybe consider something different for a day or two.

Go to track experiences (SpeedVegas, Porsche Experience Center, etc.) or through Turo and experience other fast cars. It's a nice recalibration and a good reminder that unless the next generation is massively better there's other cars you can aspire to and hell you get reminded of how good this generation Type R is to drive.

Personally - I'd hold on to this until we can't get gas for it anymore and get into something with an engine in the middle in a few years. Or if that Hyundai N Vision 74 is ever a thing...what a smoke show.

gallery-05-n-vision74.jpg
This is a good suggestion..and to think even more outside the box, I miss my Jeep TJ. I sold it before I bought my FK8. I always thought it would be fun to have a few different vehicles, all of which can allow you to have fun in different places and have different driving and ownership experiences. There is a lot more to enjoy in the world of automobiles than just fast cars!

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
MG Midget?

The "old" English sports cars were definitely a love/hate relationship. Back in the day I lived through a 1964 TR4 and a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger. Both were fun but quite often created unwelcome migraine headaches.

Back on subject: my 2019 CTR for the win. Including the questionable audio system(who cares and at least it has a volume knob!) and few nannies(which is the way it should be in a car like this IMHO). Like someone said above "one of the few cars I've had that makes me turn around and grin as I walk away."

VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag
So, I’ve owned a few of the “coveted” classic Hondas in-period - Prelude SH, CRX Si stock and one with an SiR swap, 1990 Civic Si stock and swapped, 2005 Civic Si, 2002 RSX Type S, Del Sol Si, AP1 S2000, Integra GSR, the current FK8 plus a ton of other uninteresting Hondas and performance non-Hondas. (2005 STI, 02 WRX, etc.)

I’ve come to one conclusion: For me, the FK8 is subjectively and objectively better than every single one of them. I can drool over any car I want, but the FK8 is just a better car for me. It’s best if I stop looking for something “better” and understand that cars as I know them are dying off and in this big game of car musical chairs, it’s the final seat for me. Others are certainly going to have a different opinion, but for those of you on the fence, I hope it helps to hear someone else realize that some cars from the past we idolized are actually not good, and those that were good should’ve stayed where they are. The FK8 is a classic in its own time, and there’s nothing wrong with keeping it - it’s a very special car.

(Also, to put it into perspective, there are approximately 60,000 S2000s in the US - there’s roughly 20,000 or fewer FK8s in the US - there’s a good chance that if you do sell, you’re not going to find one for reasonable price. Ever.)

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
Noooo way... We haven't seen the final reveal.. but going by the latest reveal... looks like some wanna be took parts off of an FK8 and slapped them on an Accord =) Doesn't have that aggressive look any more!

Honda Civic 10th gen Is anyone thinking of trading in their FK8 Type R for the new FL5 Type R ? Screen-Shot-2021-04-20-at-12.42.28-PM

Last edited:

Crazy_Schizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR, '19 Ridgeline, '05 S2000
Country flag
Another point to consider - should the FL5 sell in even more limited numbers (as rumored), the aftermarket support may be rather minimal for the car. In addition, the availability of FL5-specific parts may be more difficult to come by.

Anyway, it looks like the (very) vocal minority will get their wish for a bland Type R in the FL5. I'll keep my FK8 that looks like nothing else on the road. :D

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R CW #00006
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just keep it... Just got back from the dealer were I got #00006 for maintenance. They are a super high volume. Chicago suburbs
I had a small chat with the sales manager, He said "If I were you I'd keep your R were only getting two and one is already going to the owner of the dealership." "I don't even know what colors they are. " "The new ones are going to be extremely limited, and well you can't imagine how insane the mark ups on these are going to be."
For poops and giggles I had mine appraised they offered 46K for a 2017 CW 29k miles
Sponsored