Is anyone thinking of trading in their FK8 Type R for the new FL5 Type R ?

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just a bit of warning - those that are 'Imma trade for sure' - go sit in a new Civic non-type R and see how you feel about the interior. I did that and was thinking about the new model - after sitting in the new platform with the AC vents and such I immediately started looking for, and purchased, my 2021.

The car may be incredible but between the styling and the interior - not for me.
If I could find one locally that's not "in transit" or "we can get it for you" I would.
Thought about selling the R and just getting a 22 Civic Touring-until I remembered the ADM-which is NEVER advertised. I just get tired of obsessing about this car. Even after 3 years I can't stop. It's exhausting-then I drive it and think, am I crazy? Get rid of this!?
Sponsored

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It's definitely a clear cut line between those that like it, and those that hate it. Has it occurred to anyone else that there will basically be two aesthetically opposite CTR's (that will most likely perform comparably) on the market for around the same price at the same time? This seems like a winning scenario for Honda.

My initial response is they listened to all the reviewers complaints about the previous gen design cues. Perhaps it's less about getting re-uppers, and more about getting the NEW customers they lost previously.

"don't like the old one? get the new one!"
"don't like the new one? get the old one!"

292651747_10225167396505036_2599222024058206431_n.jpg

293416758_10225167396625039_2578098973500955851_n.jpg
It's definitely not ugly, just I suppose less angular? More rounded? Anyway I prefer the more aggressive styling that's just the kid in me. If that's all that's available I'm sure buyers will adapt.

Hacklespur

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
No for me for various reasons:

-I adore my FK8. Performance, practically, aftermarket support, reliability, etc. etc.
-I'm not interested in the "chase" to track down another car in general, limited production or not. ADM is almost guaranteed to be nuts regardless.
-Preference: I like the over the top styling of the FK8. There's nothing around where I'm at that looks anything like it. And I think mine's just neat.
-The FL5 isn't likely to be that much of an upgrade outside of preference. We're already kind of at the limits of useable FWD torque/HP and if I want more I can just tune.
-I don't want to opt in for a first model year and the potential problems with that, especially coming from a last model year.
-I planned on keeping my FK8 indefinitely until I blow the engine up or something. It will very likely hold value well if needed, but there's not much more I can ask for, for a practical performance car that isn't another $10-20k more expensive. I'll likely get another less practical RWD car (hello S2K) for a "retirement car".

With all of that said I'm not against the FL5. I hope it does set more track records and I hope it isn't limited production and sells really well. It's just not for me.

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
In Canada, it's a great time to buy new. Because used cars have inflated in value, and it's illegal for dealers to price gouge on new vehicles so we get them for msrp.
Yeah Canada is lucky when it comes to this scenario, we aren't as fortunate here in the US. ADM is going to be crazy and dealers are going to be very arrogant about this car specifically. Hell LE's were a precursor of what to expect. Everyone's financial situation is different, but with the way the economy is I think it's going to be hard to find any dealership here who doesn't see an opportunity to price gouge.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Yeah Canada is lucky when it comes to this scenario, we aren't as fortunate here in the US. ADM is going to be crazy and dealers are going to be very arrogant about this car specifically. Hell LE's were a precursor of what to expect. Everyone's financial situation is different, but with the way the economy is I think it's going to be hard to find any dealership here who doesn't see an opportunity to price gouge.
I agree. But the price gouging is going both ways. You see what people are asking for their used FK8's?

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
In Canada, it's a great time to buy new. Because used cars have inflated in value, and it's illegal for dealers to price gouge on new vehicles so we get them for msrp.
That’s a great point, I see your Canadian flag now that you mention it. You guys are lucky, I wish the US had a law like that.

Those in Canada could quite possibly come out in good shape.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
CarMaximum this week quoted me 38K for my 2019 with 22K on it. I did state "fender bender"on the questionnaire. It is truthfully in "Excellent" condition-I take care of my buddy. Except when I change lanes without a 2nd glance....

Then I see this at CarMax......
Honda Civic 10th gen Is anyone thinking of trading in their FK8 Type R for the new FL5 Type R ? 1657810841272

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
I agree. But the price gouging is going both ways. You see what people are asking for their used FK8's?
I often wonder though if anybody actually sells them private party. It’s kind of a pain especially if you have a lien and a flaky buyer that can just go to a dealer and get financing and a tag and be on their way. Seems most people are trading in to dealers whether in person or online.

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
Oh trust me some of the listings i've seen on the FB groups and on IG. Mileage alone on some of them make them too overpriced to me personally, but hey if someone buys it i'm not knocking their financial decision. Especially with interest rates where they are right now it's a easy pass.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
1657818603511.png

1657818632303.png

1657818738267.png

I get that it this is a subjective matter, but if the upwards market holds any weight in what defines "sporty" then it would actually be "more sporty".
Geez that does look bad.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
1657818603511.png

1657818632303.png

1657818738267.png

I get that it this is a subjective matter, but if the upwards market holds any weight in what defines "sporty" then it would actually be "more sporty".
It is more sporty. It just doesn't really go with a sedan/hatch; looks goofy on a Civic or any other normal car. It worked on the S2000 though, since it was an out-and-out sports car with curvy sheetmetal.

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Country flag
LE isn't suppose to be a whole new car lol
For the price and how hard it is to obtain it should have some upgrades. I'm not expecting a brand new car but the mark up is insane. They could've done more like the the Mugen Type RR Civic, or any final edition car companies do, or even how the NSX Type S was for its last year
Sponsored