Is anyone thinking of trading in their FK8 Type R for the new FL5 Type R ?

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think it would be a nice upgrade from my 2018 EX-L hatchback. I wanted a Type R but couldn't afford one when I bought this car, but now I can afford one. Maybe if I can get a FL5 for cheaper than a 10th Gen Type R... 10th Gen Type R's sell for $40-50k here used.
Sponsored

Rj1790

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM CTR, GX470
Country flag
I'll probably get one in a few years. If the world still stands haha

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn’t trade it in even though I like the overall design of the FL5.

Aside from the fake vents, I always felt the rear wheel arch (FK8) seems a little off and Honda agrees with me. I was reading up on Honda’s design process on the FK8. That functional aero trim was supposed to be there from the beginning. Chalk it up to penny-pinching. Well, there’s always eBay or Varis.

https://global.honda/innovation/technology/automobile/CivicTypeR/engineer-talk/talk08.html

Honda Civic 10th gen Is anyone thinking of trading in their FK8 Type R for the new FL5 Type R ? 37892327-CAED-4B31-A25D-A8214BCE9113

jcfishel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R #44709, 1993 300ZX Twin Turbo
Country flag
It's definitely a clear cut line between those that like it, and those that hate it. Has it occurred to anyone else that there will basically be two aesthetically opposite CTR's (that will most likely perform comparably) on the market for around the same price at the same time? This seems like a winning scenario for Honda.

My initial response is they listened to all the reviewers complaints about the previous gen design cues. Perhaps it's less about getting re-uppers, and more about getting the NEW customers they lost previously.

"don't like the old one? get the new one!"
"don't like the new one? get the old one!"

Honda Civic 10th gen Is anyone thinking of trading in their FK8 Type R for the new FL5 Type R ? 292651747_10225167396505036_2599222024058206431_n

Honda Civic 10th gen Is anyone thinking of trading in their FK8 Type R for the new FL5 Type R ? 293416758_10225167396625039_2578098973500955851_n

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It's definitely a clear cut line between those that like it, and those that hate it. Has it occurred to anyone else that there will basically be two aesthetically opposite CTR's (that will most likely perform comparably) on the market for around the same price at the same time? This seems like a winning scenario for Honda.

My initial response is they listened to all the reviewers complaints about the previous gen design cues. Perhaps it's less about getting re-uppers, and more about getting the NEW customers they lost previously.

"don't like the old one? get the new one!"
"don't like the new one? get the old one!"

292651747_10225167396505036_2599222024058206431_n.jpg

293416758_10225167396625039_2578098973500955851_n.jpg
IMO, I think what mainly kills the new hatch design is 1)the stubby hood (doesn't slope downward at the front like the FK8), and 2)no raking angle of the profile beltline (car has a sportier stance if there is a clear rising angle from front to rear). The only single component in the new car that I would prefer over the old would probably be the infotainment (for the android auto and the snappier response), but we'll see, would like to be surprised lol.

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
Definitely not. This isn’t a good time to buy a car, much less a new release that will sell fast. Unless you simply don’t like your FK8 (which I’ve never heard of) keep the cost of trading “up” in your savings account.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Production is rumored to be so limited, that it can't flop.
Definitely not. This isn’t a good time to buy a car, much less a new release that will sell fast. Unless you simply don’t like your FK8 (which I’ve never heard of) keep the cost of trading “up” in your savings account.
I disagree. If you have a type r to trade or sell, the inflated value of it will offset the inflated value of the new purchase.

I agree with you if you don't have a good car to trade or sell.

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag
why im not trading in:

- not a fan of the door mounted mirrors, doesnt look as sporty.
- interior/infotainment will be an upgrade no doubt but overall styling is meh.
- i got a great deal on my 2020, so in my case im happy with what i have and the price i paid.
- no thanks on gettin bent over by the dealer.
- ive done quite a few upgrades to mine which are not easy to undo. spoon rigid collars being one.
- i just love my car, it looks and drives the way i want it to. going into a deeper financial hole to have the newest shiny toy is not worth it to me.

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
I disagree. If you have a type r to trade or sell, the inflated value of it will offset the inflated value of the new purchase.

I agree with you if you don't have a good car to trade or sell.
While I do agree that the healthy valuation of the FK8 will certainly offset some of the loss, I still feel that the car-buying climate right now isn't going to treat anybody well.

I guess we will know more when they hit the dealer lots and we can see what kind of ADM is being tacked on to better understand the math. I also think a trade in scenario will be heavily factored by how much the FK8 owner paid for their current car.

My friend sold his 2018 FK8 this week to his local dealer where the car was bought at MSRP and has 11,500 miles. Full service records with them. They gave him $38k. If the new model were to cost upwards of $50k with ADM (we don't know yet) he is looking at paying $15k or so with any taxes and fees to go from a mint low mileage FK8 into a new FL5. Maybe that's worth it to some people? I can personally think of far better ways to spend that kind of money.

Remember, the dealers are going to have people lined up to buy this car and they are going to use that to their advantage.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I love my fk8 however, I am considering the move. The interior is a big selling point for me with the upgraded infotainment system. I still need to see more on the reveal but if pricing is good and what not I would consider it.
Infotainment in Hondas has never been great, FK8 is the perfect example of everything else being more important. How about in the most expensive hatchback Honda has ever made adding a name brand amplifier/speaker system? Not that that would make up for poorly written code crashing all the time. And of course the SPL crowd would never settle for anything other than MAX SPL MAN!!!!! Rip it all out! REEEEEE!

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
While I do agree that the healthy valuation of the FK8 will certainly offset some of the loss, I still feel that the car-buying climate right now isn't going to treat anybody well.

I guess we will know more when they hit the dealer lots and we can see what kind of ADM is being tacked on to better understand the math. I also think a trade in scenario will be heavily factored by how much the FK8 owner paid for their current car.

My friend sold his 2018 FK8 this week to his local dealer where the car was bought at MSRP and has 11,500 miles. Full service records with them. They gave him $38k. If the new model were to cost upwards of $50k with ADM (we don't know yet) he is looking at paying $15k or so with any taxes and fees to go from a mint low mileage FK8 into a new FL5. Maybe that's worth it to some people? I can personally think of far better ways to spend that kind of money.

Remember, the dealers are going to have people lined up to buy this car and they are going to use that to their advantage.
CarMaximum this week quoted me 38K for my 2019 with 22K on it. I did state "fender bender"on the questionnaire. It is truthfully in "Excellent" condition-I take care of my buddy. Except when I change lanes without a 2nd glance....

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
In Canada, it's a great time to buy new. Because used cars have inflated in value, and it's illegal for dealers to price gouge on new vehicles so we get them for msrp.
Sponsored