Is a PRL Cobra CAI worth it?

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
I drive a 2017 EX Hatchback (CVT) and am fairly certain I am going to purchase a Ktuner with the TSP Stage 1 Tune. My question is does adding a CAI really affect the tune and make it better or is it just really for the sound? I'm not going to heavily mod my vehicle but wouldn't mind some extra power which I'm fairly certain the TSP time will get me based on many threads. I just see many people also have a CAI and wanted to know if it's really worth it.
Sponsored

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
From my amateur research, as I wondered the same thing before buying a CAI:

The Street MAF housings I believe don't make a huge difference from the stock airbox with regards to the tune, but it helps with cooler air coming through therefore giving the engine denser air to work with.

The Race MAF housings for PRL/27Won does affect the tune, as it is wider and commands more air getting pulled through. There's a reason why you have to specify which MAF housing you have when getting a tune.

I may be mistaken though, and I'm sure more experienced tuners will chime in here.

Last edited:

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
From my experience though, the CAI helped drop the IAT temps from 15-30 over ambient to just 10-20 over ambient when driving on the freeway. I'm not enough of an experienced driver in HPD situations, so I'm not sure how this translates to tracking.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
The PRL CAI will give you prob around 10-15hp with the race maf and ktuner base tune comes with maps made for it so no extra spending needed. If you worry about maybe sucking water through it, just by an outer wear, or pre-filter. The K&N one is hydrophobic, which means it won't let water through and just stall your engine.

You also get more sound out of it. If you have the money it's worth it IMO.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It really boils down to budget, plain and simple. If better driveability and real power gains is your goal (and you're on a budget) start with the KTuner V1.2.

With an intake you're talking 5-10hp at best. Something like a TSP 1 will get you gains of around 35hp and 50tq on a totally stock setup..

An intake is nice for lowering temps and adding sound but if you plan on tuning it's very secondary/optional to the tune itself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ATLAC

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It really boils down to budget, plain and simple. If better driveability and real power gains is your goal (and you're on a budget) start with the KTuner V1.2.

With an intake you're talking 5-10hp at best. Something like a TSP 1 with get you gains of around 35hp and 50tq on a totally stock setup..

An intake is nice for lowering temps and adding sound but if you plan on tuning it's very secondary/optional to the tune itself.
What if I am willing to spend to get both? Does the CAI really make that big of a difference that is worth the cost?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The biggest difference will be in sound and IAT's. A touch more power and throttle response.

It depends on your goals. I just run a tune with a stage 1 intake (prl silicone hose/aFe dry filter). My other investment has been in lighter wheels, better tires and some suspension bits.

Everybody has a different goal.

Last edited:

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What if I am willing to spend to get both? Does the CAI really make that big of a difference that is worth the cost?
The sounds of an intake are nice. The slight increase in throttle response is nice too. While benefits will still be seen, the gains are more notable with a custom tune than with a canned tune.

I also live in the deep south and feel heat and humidity timing loss. I think you'll see more cooling benefit from an intercooler and charge pipe upgrade than an intake. Of course, that's even more expensive

From what I've seen, If you don't plan on doing more than a tune, there isn't much performance value to an intake. Intakes shine when in concert with the other big power adders like flex fuel and turbo

edit: I really really really like the sounds though

OP
OP
ATLAC

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The biggest difference will be in sound and IAT's. A touch more power and throttle response.

It depends on your goals. I just run a tune with a stage 1 intake (prl tune/aFe dry filter). My other investment has been in lighter wheels, better tires and some suspension bits.

Everybody has a different goal.
First off, I appreciate your insight. I am not looking to go full out in the long run with custom tune, and spending tons of money on the car. Just looking to add some more power/torque and make the car more enjoyable (not that I don't like how it drives already). How much does the stage 1 intake improve any power gains and the drivability or does the TSP tune do most of that. But the stage 1 intake would save me almost 300$ over the CAI.

Living in GA, I would worry about heat soak in the summer, especially after tuning the engine and running stock intake.

OP
OP
ATLAC

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The sounds of an intake are nice. The slight increase in throttle response is nice too. While benefits will still be seen, the gains are more notable with a custom tune than with a canned tune.

I also live in the deep south and feel heat and humidity timing loss. I think you'll see more cooling benefit from an intercooler and charge pipe upgrade than an intake. Of course, that's even more expensive

From what I've seen, If you don't plan on doing more than a tune, there isn't much performance value to an intake. Intakes shine when in concert with the other big power adders like flex fuel and turbo

edit: I really really really like the sounds though
Would you even suggest upgrading the intake at all (like a PRL stage 1 intake) or just leaving stock. I won't be driving the car hard in the humid summer months of Georgia, but could heat soak become a probably if I do get a canned tune with a stock intake?

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Would you even suggest upgrading the intake at all (like a PRL stage 1 intake) or just leaving stock. I won't be driving the car hard in the humid summer months of Georgia, but could heat soak become a probably if I do get a canned tune with a stock intake?
Get a CAI to have better power and throttle response compared to the stage 1 intake.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you go that route, just get a filter. The tube does nothing but add bling.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll say this one more time and hope it gets through loud and clear...

You've mentioned a few times that your goal is better power than stock. A more enjoyable car. You've never mentioned that sound is a big deal to you. That tells me 100% you will be thrilled even with the increase a base 21 map will give you.

Check out some of my tuning topics like my KTuner journal and tuning with a CVT.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/my-ktuner-experience-an-ongoing-journal.29033/

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/have-a-turbo-and-a-cvt-considering-a-tune-read-this.31242/

I've run intakes on many cars. And in my younger days, that sound was intoxicating. But now I prefer to be a little more stealth especially considering I tend to drive a bit on the speedy side.

So let's talk about heat soak. For the most part, the stock intake isn't terrible. And it's only really bad if you're sitting in traffic. On the open road on a hot day it's not too awful. But no doubt a CAI is better and the Cobra is a good one.

One last thought going in a different direction. Have you ever considered a combo of a tune and better tires? Trust me, they will help put that new found power down.