Is 27won turbo even worth it?

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
I have to change my clutch soon so I was looking at upgrading my turbo too. So I was reading 27wons website, their turbo makes the torque come in later (basically the same torque#s) and only gives 40-50whp more than the stock turbo. On both e85 and 91/93.
After reading that it made me feel like fuck that I may as well just keep my oem turbo and run e85. Has anybody gone from a custom e85 tune to a 27won? Was it worth the 1500? I'm not a Dyno chart genius but looking at their info made it seem not worth it. Is there any downside to keeping the stock turbo and running e85 making all that power?

http://www.27won.com/blog/the-w1-drop-in-turbocharger-pt5-power
Sponsored

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the W1 is a great option for the cost and ease of install. It is still best to pair it with an E85 blend, but I think the extra horsepower up top is a welcome addition for any Si. If you are looking for more, the PRL "Big Turbo" kit also looks great. While the cost is a bit more and the install is more work, the skies are the limit with it.

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
@360glitch do you think the performance gain of the 2860R gen2 will be significantly better on pump or only optimized for the e85 blend? I know PRL hasn't released any numbers for that model yet but at 2x the price over the 27won, I'd hope to see some additional gains on 91.

OP
OP
thatlilwhiteone

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
I think the W1 is a great option for the cost and ease of install. It is still best to pair it with an E85 blend, but I think the extra horsepower up top is a welcome addition for any Si. If you are looking for more, the PRL "Big Turbo" kit also looks great. While the cost is a bit more and the install is more work, the skies are the limit with it.
I'm not even convinced prl is the best option. I would get the smaller turbo and it makes similar power to the 27won. I'm scared that big one will break shit.

I think I'll do fbo and then e85 and see what happens in 2 or 3 years.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do think the 2860R Gen 2 is going to be more "pump gas friendly" but the dyno sheets will tell the story once they hit the streets. I do not think that will be much longer.

@thatlilwhiteone, the highest output Si at this time dyno'd at 467whp on the stock block. While I certainly would not say that all of them are going to be up for that, especially long term, I do think there is a a significant amount of room left above what a "drop in style" turbo such as the W1 can achieve. Whether it is worth the expense will be for each person to decide. Once nice thing about the PRL kit is you can go in with a more mild turbo to begin with, and easily swap in a larger turbo later if you decide to build the block or otherwise go crazy with it.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have to change my clutch soon so I was looking at upgrading my turbo too. So I was reading 27wons website, their turbo makes the torque come in later (basically the same torque#s) and only gives 40-50whp more than the stock turbo. On both e85 and 91/93.
After reading that it made me feel like fuck that I may as well just keep my oem turbo and run e85. Has anybody gone from a custom e85 tune to a 27won? Was it worth the 1500? I'm not a Dyno chart genius but looking at their info made it seem not worth it. Is there any downside to keeping the stock turbo and running e85 making all that power?

http://www.27won.com/blog/the-w1-drop-in-turbocharger-pt5-power
Also its worth noting that while its only 40-50whp more the curve is more favorable, if you set the rev limit a bit higher you are still in efficiency or only barely dropping off making the numbers seem less than the performance increase shows. there is a lot of variables to what makes it worth it to your needs/goals.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would look more at how to get max power with keeping closer to stock levels of boost. If the 27Won turbo is way more efficient than the stock one (which it is), than it is a worthwhile investment. A larger turbo will make more power with less boost that the 27Won. It is simple physics. Again, it all depends on your power goals and your budget.

farqt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 si
Country flag
Where is the compressor map? I have no idea how people are supposed to determine whether an aftermarket turbo makes sense in their car without a simple compressor map

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
Yes it is - I have had 800+ HP cars and for the street anything over 350whp and 350 wtq with a FWD is pretty much useless on the street it becomes more of an excuse queen above that. You can take that 350 hp/tq on ethanol with FBO and W1 and smoke super cars and be consistent. If I was to go the PRL route would be the smaller turbo as at 350 I believe you will get longevity out of the motor and have duty cycle left on injectors and FuelPump which is extremely important. For me it's a perfect balance, but I am getting a designated drag car, as such I will take all my mods off my Si and go back to Tune only until I need to start replacing stock parts, I also think with the W1 you will have closer to stock MPG and for someone like me = 36k in 12 months thats very important. Can't beat the price point at 1500 as well IMO.

Last edited:

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes it is - I have had 800+ HP cars and for the street anything over 350whp and 350 wtq with a FWD is pretty much useless on the street it becomes more of an excuse queen above that. You can take that 350 hp/tq on ethanol with FBO and W1 and smoke super cars and be consistent. If I was to go the PRL route would be the smaller turbo as at 350 I belvie you will get logevity out of the motor and have duty cycle left on injectors and FP which is important. For me it's a perfect balance, but I am getting a designated drag car, as such I will take all my mods off my Si and go back to Tune only until I need to start replacing stock parts, I also think with the W1 you will have closer to stock MPG and for someone like me = 36k in 12 months tahts very important. Can't beat the price point at 1500 as well IMO.
I fully concur and hob nob here. I wish PRL would come out with a drop in turbo, but the 27WON is in my long term goal if they don't.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes it is - I have had 800+ HP cars and for the street anything over 350whp and 350 wtq with a FWD is pretty much useless on the street it becomes more of an excuse queen above that.
I agree 100% with that! I am around 280 whp and spin the tires at 50 mph in second. I have crap stock tires, but people with good tires say the same thing. 350 is more than enough, even under the best circumstances. Unless, you are using slicks at the track of course.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes it is - I have had 800+ HP cars and for the street anything over 350whp and 350 wtq with a FWD is pretty much useless on the street it becomes more of an excuse queen above that. You can take that 350 hp/tq on ethanol with FBO and W1 and smoke super cars and be consistent. If I was to go the PRL route would be the smaller turbo as at 350 I believe you will get longevity out of the motor and have duty cycle left on injectors and FuelPump which is extremely important. For me it's a perfect balance, but I am getting a designated drag car, as such I will take all my mods off my Si and go back to Tune only until I need to start replacing stock parts, I also think with the W1 you will have closer to stock MPG and for someone like me = 36k in 12 months thats very important. Can't beat the price point at 1500 as well IMO.
Yeah I had a SRT-4 with several power levels starting stock 243whp then a few mods to get me to 277, then went full big turbo 421 on 93 octane and 503 on race gas... it was useless on the big turbo. It was the most fun at the 277 level but I think 300-350whp would be the magic number with modern tires. 420+ was just dumb... I spun 4th gear... on a 5 speed with 215 width bfg kdw2 tires. lol

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
it doesnt sound like its worth it to me. the amount of the gains do t justify the $$$$$

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan, 2009 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Guys,

The benefits of the W1 are not just limited to a number on a graph. The upgraded turbocharger really wakes up the little 1.5L, and in my opinion, really rounds out the 10th Gen chassis.
40-50whp gains from a nearly unnoticeable turbo upgrade are pretty remarkable really, but what really shines is the power band. With the stock turbo you can easily light off the turbo down low to get the rush of torque, but then the turbo just falls on its face by 5200rpm...the fun ends there. This is the definition of a turbo car that feels quick but isn't fast...it has nothing up top.
With the W1 you can still get your rush from the torque, granted its a few hundred rpm later, but the longevity of the engine will thank you. After the rush of torque you are still making power through 5K and on up to 7k if desired. Its this extra 1000-1500rpm of usable power that will really change the way the car wants to be driven. This is how a car can feel quick and still be fast.

The power under the curve is the real difference from OE to W1. If you're on the fence about the W1 then I highly suggest you find a local with a W1 installed and go for a ride shotgun (if possible). I'm confident you would change your mind.
Sponsored