redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I guess It's been a little under 2 years since this thread was made.

I wanted to revive it and see if after all this time any one had any of the same opinions? different opinions? different perspectives?

I'm curious because I'm debating whether or not to upgrade to W1 turbo or just wait another month or two and get the PRL big turbo kit (GTX2860R GEN 2).

Currently have rv6 fp/dp (catted), prl cai w/ race maf, prl intercooler & charge pipes, maperformance catback race exhaust, ktuner v1.2 w/ tsp stage 1 tune, and just ordered 27WON turbo inlet pipe today.

I'm looking to achieve ~350 whp for spirited driving and the occasional 30/40 rolls on the highway. I'd love to be able to pull up next to cars like chargers, mustangs, etc. and give them a run for their money. Something about the idea of a 'sleeper car' really excites me.

I should also note that this is my daily and I'm not trying to do anything crazy with it until it is completely paid off (will be paid off in another ~4 years).

Matt Noke

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you go with Prl big turbo kit your new TIP from 27won will become a paper weight.

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not compatible
Oh shit that’s right. See that’s another thing that’s deterring me away from prl is the fact that they make you buy all their stuff. I’d also have to get rid of my dp and go with theirs too. It’s frustrating, but I don’t want to drop $1500 now just to wish I would have went prl in 6 months.

sigh...

Matt Noke

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh shit that’s right. See that’s another thing that’s deterring me away from prl is the fact that they make you buy all their stuff. I’d also have to get rid of my dp and go with theirs too. It’s frustrating, but I don’t want to drop $1500 now just to wish I would have went prl in 6 months.

sigh...
I am a huge fan of both Prl and 27won, imo they both make quality parts for the community. I have the W1 turbo and love it. Again just my opinion but if you want 320-350whp and boost to hold till redline without having to build your motor I think the W1 is the best bang for your buck. If you want higher numbers and are willing and able to build your motor and upgrade your fuel system than with the Prl kit the sky is the limit. Do you have an upgraded clutch?

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am a huge fan of both Prl and 27won, imo they both make quality parts for the community. I have the W1 turbo and love it. Again just my opinion but if you want 320-350whp and boost to hold till redline without having to build your motor I think the W1 is the best bang for your buck. If you want higher numbers and are willing and able to build your motor and upgrade your fuel system than with the Prl kit the sky is the limit. Do you have an upgraded clutch?
yea I love prl’s stuff and the 27won TIP is the first thing I’ve ordered from them. I’ve heard nothing but great things about them and I REALLY appreciate their blog posts of the R&D they do.
thanks for the info. That makes me feel a lot better. Yea I think my sweet spot I am aiming for is 330 whp. I just want to ensure I can get their with the drop-in turbo and I’m assuming I’ll have to run a flex kit or get racing fuel to achieve those numbers. But yea I’m not looking into rebuilding the engine or upgrading fuel system any time soon. I guess the 27WON may just be the way to go.
Im still on stock clutch. No slippage yet of any kind. I’ve only got 10K miles on the car.
I know eventually I’ll have to upgrade the clutch, but wasn’t looking to do it in the immediate future. I still need a RMM and upgraded tires before I’ll probably do the clutch

Bilalicious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EG6, Civic FB2, Civic FK8
Country flag
Is 27won turbo a big no no for cvt? Running prl cai, fp & dp(decatted) and will be acquiring an intercooler too soon. Would tsp stage 1 run or do I really need to have a custom tune? Planning to keep the car for 60-70k miles as my my daily.

Sidhu_si

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fc1
Country flag
Guys,

The benefits of the W1 are not just limited to a number on a graph. The upgraded turbocharger really wakes up the little 1.5L, and in my opinion, really rounds out the 10th Gen chassis.
40-50whp gains from a nearly unnoticeable turbo upgrade are pretty remarkable really, but what really shines is the power band. With the stock turbo you can easily light off the turbo down low to get the rush of torque, but then the turbo just falls on its face by 5200rpm...the fun ends there. This is the definition of a turbo car that feels quick but isn't fast...it has nothing up top.
With the W1 you can still get your rush from the torque, granted its a few hundred rpm later, but the longevity of the engine will thank you. After the rush of torque you are still making power through 5K and on up to 7k if desired. Its this extra 1000-1500rpm of usable power that will really change the way the car wants to be driven. This is how a car can feel quick and still be fast.

The power under the curve is the real difference from OE to W1. If you're on the fence about the W1 then I highly suggest you find a local with a W1 installed and go for a ride shotgun (if possible). I'm confident you would change your mind.
Can you run W1 with ethanol blend o. Stock internals? Do fuel injectors need to be upgraded?

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
Is 27won turbo a big no no for cvt? Running prl cai, fp & dp(decatted) and will be acquiring an intercooler too soon. Would tsp stage 1 run or do I really need to have a custom tune? Planning to keep the car for 60-70k miles as my my daily.
27won turbo can be run with the cvt. @Barett@27WON confirmed this himself: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/27won-turbo-upgrade-on-cvt.31460/
You should be fine running your bolt-ons without anything custom (though i'd still keep an eye on fuel trims etc over time), but you will definitely need a custom tune if you install the turbo.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Will this be a big turbo kit like the one PRL has where you have to have their intake, dp, etc. or will this be able to standalone and work with other popular aftermarket parts (like the W1)?
thanks!
Will be like the W1 in that regards.
Sponsored