Is 21psi basemap safe on the CVT with CAI+DP+FP+Catback+Intercooler?

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is the setup I'm in the middle of building. I know the basemaps are safe and these are simple bolt ons but most discussions are about the 6MT and I understand the CVT has much more stringent limitations, especially with torque. This is my daily that I plan to keep for a long time and I don't want to push things to the limit. It's probably fine but just wanted second opinions?
Sponsored

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
The same thing applies to the CVTs. All exhaust modifications are supported. Intakes that aren't properly sized may throw off fueling and require custom tuning.

OP
OP
DaiLo

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The same thing applies to the CVTs. All exhaust modifications are supported. Intakes that aren't properly sized may throw off fueling and require custom tuning.
The intake I'm getting is a "street" version with the same size MAF so I should be ok in that regard. These mods won't add too much torque for long term reliability of the CVT will it?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
So a couple of things. Running a Ktuner basemap, the power output should be no real issue for the CVT. But, with the bolt ons you are adding, a custom tune would be an even safer route. You can have your tuner "fine tune" the power band to protect the CVT. What you need to avoid is a custom tune designed to extract as much power as possible. That, combined with abuse, is where most of the failures have happened.

For the most part, our tuning reliability survey backs this up.

OP
OP
DaiLo

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So a couple of things. Running a Ktuner basemap, the power output should be no real issue for the CVT. But, with the bolt ons you are adding a custom tune would be an even safer route. You can have your tuner "fine tune" the power band to protect the CVT. What you need to avoid is a custom tune designed to extract as much power as possible.

For the most part, our tuning reliability survey backs this up.
So just to be clear, I don't necessarily need a custom tune, the basemaps should be fine? But a custom tune would be safer still? I'm thinking now of only getting the CAI and catted dp/fp.

Last edited:

OP
OP
DaiLo

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are many with those modifications that have put a lot of mileage on these tunes. See the reliability thread for an idea!
Thanks!
Sponsored