iPhone 6, iOS10 CarPlay - Are you having issues? and where they resolved?

thedommer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
Here is my issue and I am not sure who to talk to about it. Honda or Apple? I am trying apple first.

I have an iPhone 6 and my wife has an iPhone 6s. We bought the Honda Civic specifically because of CarPlay. When we first got it with iOS9 my phone worked decently well but often would disconnect and I would have to unplug and replug. often restarting the car operating system and the phone operating system to get it to work again.

Now with iOS10 CarPlay rarely connects and says that no CarPlay device was detected. And I mean rarely. IF it does connect, it usually only lasts for around 10 - 15 minutes at most, then it simply won’t reconnect. In order to get it to reconnect I have to restart the phone and the car.

Not only that but after plugging my phone into the CarPlay USB, the phone has issues even after I disconnect unless I restart. Apple maps and Waze and the Settings on the iPhone simply won’t work after trying to connect carplay. They hang then crash every single time on opening. I have to restart the phone to get any of those 3 apps to work again.

I am at a loss as to what to do because CarPlay disconnecting while I am using maps and driving is incredibly dangerous and it means I have to pull over and disconnect carplay and use the phone on its own. I am wondering if this is a common issue with CarPlay and iPhone 6 and if there will be a fix. Or of I should be reaching out to Honda. Again, my wife iPhone 6s works great with it. And she is on iOS10.

Anyone else having these issues specifically with iPhone 6. It never worked great even in iOS9 but now its unusable.
Sponsored

RoverFl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 EX
Yeah sounds like my issue. I went back to 9.3.5 with a clean restore and started from nothing. I notice when I restore from back up it would act up. So i started frmo a factory reset. If you want to stick with IOS 10 just start from factory with no apps. Dont install from backup. This worked for me.

OP
OP

thedommer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
Thats exactly what I did. Installed ios10 from scratch and did not use a backup. It didn't work :(

OP
OP

thedommer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
now I did just notice that my phone has a slight bend in the bottom. So Its possible there is some hardware damage. Winding if I should take it in. I have no issues connecting to the computer or anything. Just CarPlay in the Civic.

NiGHTS4EVA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
paseo
Are you using a third party cable? With Android Auto some ppl had issues using cheap ones

OP
OP

thedommer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
I tried multiple cables. All where official apple cables. and I have done a fresh install. working with apple now to submit diagnostics. Hopefully that helps.

OP
OP

thedommer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
I have tried my wife iPhone 6s and it seems to be ok. I am looking here to see if the iPhone 6 issues is fairly common. It could easily be just my phone.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have tried my wife iPhone 6s and it seems to be ok. I am looking here to see if the iPhone 6 issues is fairly common. It could easily be just my phone.
At this point in time the issues seem to be intermittent, however I do believe from personal experience it is from issues within iOS. I have an iPhone 7 Plus which soft crashes for everything, and it appears to me that Apple, having once been known for their stable software, no longer gives a shit. Perhaps the software build that your phone received is just what's causing these issues.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the connection issue with my 6, sometimes.

I find that if I unlock the phone before connecting, and waiting until the car has booted fully before plugging it in then it will connect.

Once it is up and running, it's more stable than before, but that initial connection glitch is annoying.

There was a post, I think on this board, that suggested deleting your phone from the car, then rebooting the car before connecting again. That seemed to help me.

I have a theory as to the root cause. I've noticed that my 6 now hesitates ever so slightly when switching apps, unlocking, opening tabs etc. as if the processor was getting bogged down. I suspect that hesitation happens when the phone connects to the car, and that causes the Appleplay app to not recognize the phone. If it's unlocked, the connection gets made because there is less of a hesitation.

Last edited:

bmartinson13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '97 CR-V
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had very very few issues when using my iPhone 6. Since using my iPhone 7 and taking recent Honda software patches, I've been experiencing significant CarPlay crashes mid drive.

fazekas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I've used iPhone 6S Plus and now iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 9 and 10, latest versions, still having problems, mostly the dreaded "no device connected", can hear music but can't use controls on touch screen - after starting car, plugging in iPhone, using CarPlay right after starting to drive, have to unplug iPhone and replug to make message go away, then it's OK. I use genuine Apple lightning cables, and have tried several. There are also random glitchy things, mostly when using one of the cameras and iPhone is plugged in which requires pulling over, stopping car, restarting car and performing a hard reboot of infotainment unit. CarPlay was a major selling point for this vehicle, so far very disappointed with my first Honda.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone know what the most recent software version is for the '16's infotainment system?

civicdick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Updating to 10.1 or the latest iOS 10 beta might work! It helped me for Bluetooth. I had the same problem so I just stopped using CarPlay all together
Sponsored