benslev

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sedan 2016 EX
Country flag
I have a 2016 EX sedan and just recently updated my iPhone to the new iOS software (something I already regret). Since doing so, my infotainment system has had plenty of problems. I hear its a bug affecting many Hondas. I now have no access to any touch interaction and the screen flashes black every 15 seconds or so. I cannot do a system reset because the power button is touch activated and doesn't work. I also cannot change screen brightness with the tactical button on top. I can press the climate button but then have no power to change a/c power. My CarPlay still "works" as in playing music and showing directions, but I have to do all the control on my phone thats plugged in. I thought it was just CarPlay at first but now I cant really seem to do anything on the infotainment (including a reset). I tried troubleshooting by having a friend on a later iOS version try and it didn't do any good so it seems to be a Honda software problem now. Any suggestions?

10/5 Update: After a visit to Honda last week, they preformed a hard reset and software update (something I couldn't do on my own) and the issue resolved. It was covered under warranty. No problems since.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't have a Honda anymore, but when I tried to use CarPlay for directions while playing music from my iPhone, when the directions would try to "speak" my music faded out but the directions didn't actually play. I was wondering if iOS 14 is the culprit.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Sorry to hear. It might be the version of software on your headunit. I have a 19 Si and a 18 Odyssey and iOS 14 works fine on both. I had to delete my honda profile in carplay settings to get my Odyssey to recognize it but thats the only issue i ran into so far. Good luck and hopefully someone has better tips.

OP
OP

benslev

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry to hear. It might be the version of software on your headunit. I have a 19 Si and a 18 Odyssey and iOS 14 works fine on both. I had to delete my honda profile in carplay settings to get my Odyssey to recognize it but thats the only issue i ran into so far. Good luck and hopefully someone has better tips.
That could be it. And that makes sense, I'd get in there and mess around with profiles if I could but im pretty limited at this point. Here's the article I read earlier.https://www.autoevolution.com/news/honda-cars-hit-by-major-carplay-bug-after-the-latest-iphone-update-148924.html

And thanks for the comment

OP
OP

benslev

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't have a Honda anymore, but when I tried to use CarPlay for directions while playing music from my iPhone, when the directions would try to "speak" my music faded out but the directions didn't actually play. I was wondering if iOS 14 is the culprit.
Very possible. Never had any problems with previous software updates but I know apple made a bit more changes than usual to CarPlay with this update. Hope things are smooth going forward

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
That could be it. And that makes sense, I'd get in there and mess around with profiles if I could but im pretty limited at this point. Here's the article I read earlier.https://www.autoevolution.com/news/honda-cars-hit-by-major-carplay-bug-after-the-latest-iphone-update-148924.html

And thanks for the comment
Thanks for the article. Hopefully the next iOS update will patch these bugs.

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
(2020 Type R) I've had issues with carplay going black screen after a restart. Had to resort with using honda hack and wireless (auto kit) and that's working well. But now with LogR (has to be via wired) I was hoping OS14 will fix but still same result.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Drove over 200 miles this week and carplay works absolutely fine. iOS was updated earlier in the week. Used google maps, and listened to both music and podcasts.

Try to forget your device or disconnect via Bluetooth and then reconnect. Reset your phone also.

Farstrider

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
iOS 14, iPhone 11 Pro Max working fine on my 2020 Sport Sedan. Just updated it the other day and haven’t had a single issue with that stuff at all. Weirdly inverted colors when playing videos on the dash screen, though.....that’s another story.

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guys, On your iPhone’s, does your car get recognize as “vehicle” in CarPlay or “Honda”?

Soulnchain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X
Country flag
Does anyone else have a volume problem? I start the car, the music starts fine, volume limit is raisable all the way to 40 (i think, there are a lot of thin bars), then after a few minutes the volume drops and if i try to raise it i only get the 10 thick bars, also raising it all the way to 10 doesn't seem to affect the volme that much, i have to start a phone call and hang up for it to go back to the regular 40 bars (or so).

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
LOL! Android 11 and IOS 14 both messed up Car stuff. Android Auto & carplay both are having lot of issues

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had one issue so far where my apple car play was working one minute, then screen turned black the next. Nothing on my phone interfacing with the head unit was working, bluetooth and the menu screen was stuck with the "Apple Carplay" option instead of "Smart Phone Connection" even though the phone was unplugged. Restarting the headunit did nothing, and had to resort to restarting the phone a couple times for it to work again.
Sponsored