IOS 10 Problem

stayninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Anyone having the same problem I am? I have an iPhone 6s and just updated to IOS 10. Now when i connect to my honda civic for CArplay, the car will show me the message:

" This device is not compatible with Apple Carplay"

It doesn't always happen but enough to be annoying.
Sponsored

gehang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe, 95 civic ex
Yep, I also sometimes plug in and the phone notices and starts charging but the screen just says "no device connected", for both messages unplugging for a second and reconnecting (sometimes repeated two or three times) will make it work. I assume it's an ios bug not a honda issue because it started happening the day I updated to 10. Apple is usually pretty good about updating so I assume 10.1 will be out soon.

andre12dbsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan / 2017 Acura MDX Navi SH-AWD
I've been using iOS 10 with an iPhone 6S and haven't seen any issues. I would suggest tryin the actual Apple cable. Some generic cables will allow the device to be charged but won't let it connect to the vehicle's system.

OP
OP

stayninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I've been using iOS 10 with an iPhone 6S and haven't seen any issues. I would suggest tryin the actual Apple cable. Some generic cables will allow the device to be charged but won't let it connect to the vehicle's system.
You might be right, but I have an 90 degree cable that I really like. The apple one bends to much when I connect my phone and place it in the cubby.

Ikabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Accord Touring
Country flag
Anyone having the same problem I am? I have an iPhone 6s and just updated to IOS 10. Now when i connect to my honda civic for CArplay, the car will show me the message:

" This device is not compatible with Apple Carplay"

It doesn't always happen but enough to be annoying.

Yes, I've seen the same quirkiness with iOS 10 and Car Play. In addition, TuneIn Radio is no longer supported and Slacker Radio has issues. Both are supposed to be apps of Car Play.
I'm surprised these issues haven't been fixed yet plus no real response from Apple acknowledging the problem. It's frustrating.

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
I tell you what I did and I find the Bluetooth a bit better, not much but better. I removed the HondaLink Bluetooth from my iPhone, reset network settings on my iPhone, removed my phone from the head unit, rebooted my iPhone. Rebooted the head unit (Hold down power until ask screen, And started from scratch on paring...

andre12dbsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan / 2017 Acura MDX Navi SH-AWD
You might be right, but I have an 90 degree cable that I really like. The apple one bends to much when I connect my phone and place it in the cubby.
Might be worth trying the Apple cable just to troubleshoot. At least you'll know if the cable you're using is part of the problem.

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apple today has acknowledged that there are bugs in the play back of music and controls. Said a fix is coming - when? . It was specific to lightening headphones, but I know better, it is across all devices including CarPlay.

TabsAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
I'm using a brand new official Apple cable and getting the same thing - only happens when the phone is locked.

OP
OP

stayninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
So I updated to IOS 10.0.1 today and I think they fixed it. If Yu plug in the phone locked it will show his message. Once you unlock it it will ask you allow CarPlay to acces you phone while locked, just choose yes and it works like a charm!!
Honda Civic 10th gen IOS 10 Problem IMG_5982.PNG
Honda Civic 10th gen IOS 10 Problem IMG_5983.PNG

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I updated to IOS 10.0.1 today and I think they fixed it. If Yu plug in the phone locked it will show his message. Once you unlock it it will ask you allow CarPlay to acces you phone while locked, just choose yes and it works like a charm!!
IMG_5982.PNG
IMG_5983.PNG
Hi, did you have IOS10 before the update install or was this a new install. I have 10.0.1 already and never seen this message. Can you explain what you did to get it. thanks

Hockey_magnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
No question there are issues with iOS 10 and Carplay on the Honda.. It would be nice if some of us could do a little more testing.

Very consistently, if I leave the phone plugged in with the car turned off for some period of time, I get the "This device not compatible.." message when I restart the car.. If I unplug it and plug it in again, it works every time. But also, if I turn the car off for a just a short period time with the phone plugged in and restart it, Carplay comes up no problem. Note this has nothing to do with Autolock settings on the iPhone since I let it auto lock, restarted the car in a short period of time and it worked. But if I leave the car turned off with the phone plugged in for more than about 10 minutes and then restart, it doesn't work unless unplugged and plugged. If the phone is plugged in when turned off and the car is started, doesn't work. If it's on when plugged in and the car is started it works. This is repeatable and consistent.

The variable I can't pin down is how long the car has to be turned off for the problem to occur on restart. One thing I didn't check that might account for this is that maybe it only happens if you leave the car and lock it prior to trying the re start

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit but I could see this being a security issue i.e. Leave your phone in the car and lock the car. someone gets access to the car via a stolen fob or whatever and just by turning it on gets access to your phone and contact information without having to unlock the phone. I'll have to check this out

EDIT: Just checked and my suspicion was correct if you leave the car, lock it, return and try and start it, you will get the "not compatible" message. If you stay in the car and go through the same routine, it works. However if it then works when you just unplug it and plug it back in, I doubt it's a security feature, probably more like when you lock it the system does a more complete shut down, sort of like a cold boot vs warm boot.

Note that this is the only problem I have with Carplay and it did not occur before the upgrade.

There is no question AFIK that this has nothing to do with the cable. Just started happening with iOS 10 and I've used 2 different genuine Apple cables. I'm also not sure that stayninja's post is related to this particular issue - I upgraded to 10.0.1 right away. no help. The issue for me is that before iOS 10, I never got the "Not Compatible" message. Now I get the message if I try and plug the phone in when it is locked. My Carplay setting "Allow Carplay While locked" is turned on. However as noted above IF I have the phone unlocked before plugging it in, it works every time and it also comes back on properly if I turn the car off but don't leave and lock the car. So it's not the end of the world, it's mainly that if I'm making a quick stop, leave the phone plugged in and lock the car, the phone auto locks and I get the not compatible message when I restart the car. I have to unplug it and plug it back in, not just unlock it.

You should just be able to jump in the car, plug in your phone and go without unlocking the phone, unplugging and plugging it back in, etc. But like I said earlier, it would be a security "feature" IF simply unplugging it and plugging it back in didn't bypass it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

stayninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen IOS 10 Problem IMG_5984.PNG
Hi, did you have IOS10 before the update install or was this a new install. I have 10.0.1 already and never seen this message. Can you explain what you did to get it. thanks
I had IOS 10 and yesterday there was a new update released IOS10.01 (i think) you can check if you have the latest update. Setting >general>CarPlay and will will see the picture I attached

Hockey_magnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
IMG_5984.PNG

I had IOS 10 and yesterday there was a new update released IOS10.01 (i think) you can check if you have the latest update. Setting >general>CarPlay and will will see the picture I attached
Can you do me a favour? When you get in your car after having it locked and sitting for a while, make sure your phone is fully locked, plug it in and then start your car. What happens? I have the exact same iOS version and the same CarPlay settings and I get the "not compatible" message. Which version of the iPhone are you using? Were you connecting to CarPlay previous to iOS 10.0.1?

Thanks

tophuriouss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
This happens randomly, but if the display is on, the car lowers the volume. If the display is off it goes back to normal. Whenever the display is on, the max I can turn the volume bar up to is 11. If I turn the display off I can turn it all the way up. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm on an iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 10.0.1.
Sponsored