ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I have this exhaust on mine and its LOUD inside the cabin....
I don't think the drone is as LOUD as everyone says, I drive right in the "drone zone" on the highway and I slightly hear it. It only gets louder if I make boost in 6th or let off the gas to decel.

My opinion is, it's not that aggressive on an exhaust. There is definitely louder out there.
Sponsored

ajsummers469

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't think the drone is as LOUD as everyone says, I drive right in the "drone zone" on the highway and I slightly hear it. It only gets louder if I make boost in 6th or let off the gas to decel.

My opinion is, it's not that aggressive on an exhaust. There is definitely louder out there.

Driving over 90mph and over 3,500-4,000 rpms its loud to me and to others I've send sound clips to. I still have it on my R, may go to Js Racing exhaust but been told its similar.

This is my 2nd invidia r400 exhaust as I ran it on my coupe si as well

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Driving over 90mph and over 3,500-4,000 rpms its loud to me and to others I've send sound clips to. I still have it on my R, may go to Js Racing exhaust but been told its similar.

I gotcha. Well I don't daily 90+mph. For me, I'll sit between 65-75mph and it's quiet for me. I was trying to clarify the drone situation for users who don't have the exhaust.

IMO, if your driving 90+mph (unless your on a track) , the last thing on your mind should be how the exhaust sounds. Lol

ajsummers469

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I gotcha. Well I don't daily 90+mph. For me, I'll sit between 65-75mph and it's quiet for me. I was trying to clarify the drone situation for users who don't have the exhaust.

IMO, if your driving 90+mph (unless your on a track) , the last thing on your mind should be how the exhaust sounds. Lol
Lol Joy's of living in TX posted speed limits are over 75 or 80 depending where you live, either way I like the exhaust

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Lol Joy's of living in TX posted speed limits are over 75 or 80 depending where you live, either way I like the exhaust
Haha, I wish man. I have a few spots that are 65mph. But everywhere else is 55mph . It makes a big ticket if you aren't careful.

So yea in your instance, it would definitely be louder, due to the fact your avg speed is alot faster than mine

jinderC

It seemed worse when I first installed it along with the PRL downpipe. Now I don't notice it really, maybe I'm just used to the sound. It only sounds "dronelike" if you're off the gas and decelerating without braking. Under light throttle/maintaining cruising speed it's not bad at all.

I don't get why people are so sensitive to "drone". You're buying a higher flowing/performing exhaust set up to add some sound to the stock turboed prius sounding exhaust. This car has a lot of back pressure, just look at all the resonators on the oem exhaust. The r400 has a pretty big resonator on it that does a decent job. It's a full 3" system. Add a bigger downpipe and what do you expect.

Well, what you need to understand is different people are prone to different sensitivity to “drone”. What might sound fine to you could actually be a headache for someone else. We all have different levels of drone interpretation.

Just because your getting a “high flowing high performance” exhaust doesn’t meant it has to drone and definitely doesn’t mean you have to accept drone. If something is engineered well it shouldn’t be as bad as others. One fits all doesn’t apply here.

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Sorry...I was posting in the Si thread for some reason but wanted to chime in.

Installed the R400 on my 2019 yesterday (Was actually last week now that I found the right thread). Car is stock other than the exhaust and tint. While I wouldn't say it's "drone", I would say the R400 is louder inside than any other car I've owned...but this is my first HB, so it's going to be louder. Losing insulation of the rear area. My Evo was catless with TBE, and wasn't this loud down low with an AMS system. 1st though 3rd, it gets kind of loud inside but I like it, and on the highway at 65 or 75, it seems normal for an aftermarket exhaust, and 100% normal. Can't tell if it's as loud outside or not,...I don't let people drive my car. At idle, it's pretty quiet. I have learned to shift slightly different as it make the exhaust sound better. Hard to explain but it's a nice system.

The fitment and all, is perfect. One thing I always hated with exhausts, was the movement of the tailpipes. I bought aftermarket hangers but decided to go with stock to prevent cracking of the pipes (WI here). The back three tips do not move at all when pulled on, love that.

IF I get time this weekend, I'll try to use the orbit function of my Evo drone to capture the sound and car.

I didn't wrap the front as it's WI, colder climate and that will be asking for them to rust under the wrap.

Update: I like the noise it makes but wanted to take a look at the spare tire area as this is my first hatch and wanted to deaden overall interior sounds to begin with. The sheet metal back there is way too thin. Tap on it (remove foam thing first). It sounds like you could put a hole through it. A 4" tip, much less 3, will go right through that (sound) and being a hatch, inside the whole car. The tips sit under the car and right under that sheet metal. I had some FatMat from another car on hand. Put a layer in the spare tire area. It's a noticeable difference, my guess is ~20% reduction in interior noise at low rpms. Haven't tested on the highway yet but nothing over ~55 mph "droned" for me anyway.

Took ~20 minutes to put in, I also have the "Type R" liner over that. Wouldn't be a difference maker but looks good?

And the little crackles and pops it makes on up shifts...yay! Not over the top, just right. Had a 300 on my WRX, quality was important and hasn't changed with a different car. Would do the mat even without the exhaust, that metal is too thin for the hatch area. Might be thin to offset the weight of a spare on a normal Civic, but thin ntl. If you think about it, they basically created a sub woofer box by removing the tire. The tire is rubber which would help dampen sounds. The solid worthless foam doesn't do anything. It's just a a cavity for all noise. Line it, no spare to help.

Honda Civic 10th gen Invidia r400 20190801_170634

Last edited:

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

Agreed. I think the exhaust is actually pretty tame overall. Not the same a a cat-less car running 3" back. There's going to be what people consider "drone", but it's a hatch. Sedans have the rear seats absorbing a lot of that interior noise. (All cars, not specifically the Civic)

Last edited:

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
Oh yea. i go out to Austin twice a year for F1 and MotoGP, and I love the 80mph toll road that runs you right up to the track. 132 I think it is.....If you don't run 90mph + you will get run over :)

ajsummers469

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Oh yea. i go out to Austin twice a year for F1 and MotoGP, and I love the 80mph toll road that runs you right up to the track. 132 I think it is.....If you don't run 90mph + you will get run over :)
lol take 290 up to Austin and slap a number on the side of your door because its like being on a track. Posted limits of 80 or 85mph means easily cruise 9mph over that the whole way. Its like being on a track every day sometimes down here on my commutes to work

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

That's weird 80-90 for me is really quiet for me, it's perfect cruising the highway. It's only ever loud inside the car if I'm staying high in the gear, 50% or more throttle while low in the gear, or engine braking

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
And just when I'm itching to pull the trigger on this exhaust it's backordered.

latexsalesman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM Type R named Nebula
Country flag
I got this as my first bolt on as I really liked the sound profile. I had it installed on Wednesday and am loving it so far. I drive 20 highway commuting miles every day and have not had a problem with drone.
Sponsored