Introducing the 2018 Civic Type R Prototype - Finally!

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I woke up this morning, grabbed my phone and went straight to the Honda UK Facebook page to see if they had any photos. -My jaw dropped. I can't wait to see the interior and other bits like suspension.

I see lots of carbon, big wheels and tires, big brakes, lots of vents and a car that I will have in my garage.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Jesus, just noticed the 245/30 series tires. BAM!!! Can't wait to see the interior, seats and what dirty tricks they have planned for the suspension, tuned exhaust & +R.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
There is a great article on Top Gear about the design of the caR:

Great info from this Top Gear article:
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/concept/new-honda-civic-type-r-here-and-it-wants-ring-record

You wait ages and ages for a new Honda Civic Type R, and well, two arrive almost back-to-back. Yes, scarcely a year after we first drove the current banzai Civic, Honda has just unveiled a concept version of the next-gen car, due to go on sale worldwide in 2017. And once again, it wants a Nürburgring lap record.

Officially called the Type R Prototype, the car you’re gawping at is strictly a concept for now (though doesn’t it look production ready?) so there’s nothing in the way of technical data. But we do know it will stay front-wheel drive, both to stick with Type R tradition, and to allow Honda to get its FWD Nordschleife honours back from VW, who nicked them with the Golf GTI Clubsport S.

And this Civic really is ‘worldwide’. No Civic Type R has ever been officially sold in the USA – it’s been a case of import your own at great expense with much tedious paperwork. But because the new Civic hatchback is a global car, aimed at Japan, Europe and indeed the USA, the angry-looking Type R will also land Stateside. It will still be built in Swindon, though.

Having recently gone to the trouble of building a 306bhp 2.0-litre turbo VTEC powerplant, the new Type R will use that engine. Though we suspect it will be a little uprated to keep pace with the likes of the 345bhp Ford Focus RS, and to give it an edge over the Golf (and perhaps other rivals) for that lap time.

Beneath the skin, it’s based on the all-new Mk10 Civic platform, and the Type R is set to borrow the same variable steering system and refreshed rear suspension setup. Honda has designed the standard Civic to be more fun than ever to drive, and engineers say it’s been a great springboard for making a bona fide performance version. We’re promised a sharper chassis than ever.

You’ve probably noticed the looks, however. “The design is all in the pursuit of performance,” the Type R’s designer, Daisuke Tsutamori, told TG. “All of the design features have a function, and this is as close to a production car as is possible.”

So the rear wing is shaped entirely by function, while the triple exhaust pipes and each and every vent serve a purpose. The drag coefficient is improved “significantly” (though we’ve not been given an exact number) and the Civic Type R is lower and wider than before. Tsutamori didn’t design the outgoing Type R, but does believe hot hatches should look wild, and that there should be continuity between the two models.

The bodykit is largely very similar, then, though this time it’s fitted to a car that’s been designed to get the Type R treatment from the outset. We’re not sure it wears it better as a result. Aesthetically, there’s quite a strong Subaru Impreza vibe going on here, and like that car, there could be a four-door Type R, albeit not for the European market.

The car rides on 20-inch alloys, up an inch size from the current Type R hatch, and its tyres are 245-section in width. All told, it’s a pretty punchy looking family car, and still unmistakably Japanese.

Honda’s unwrapping the production version of this car in 2017, and we’d expect it to differ little from this. Wondering why it’s here so soon? Simply because Honda only pushed the button on Type R production very late in the outgoing Civic’s life. Now there’s a new version, the hot hatch iteration arrives almost from the outset.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
As nice as that would be, the moonroof adds unnecessary weight in the worst possible spot, relative to center of gravity.
You're right, and I recognize that. I was just checking to see if there were any room for a less extreme, more livable variation. Given the CTR-specific roof treatment (and history of the CTR), I consider it unlikely, and it doesn't really bother me. I just won't be buying it. ;)

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
[QUOTE="DavidJBrooks, post: 104723, member: 4294]

Anyway - this looks like a great car for kids with too much money. ;)
Thanks for calling me a kid, that hasn't happened in ages. :p

I think it looks brilliant, now if it performs as good as it looks:

image.jpeg
[/QUOTE]
That was meant tongue in check, hope that was clear and didn't feel insulted. ;)

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm going to be all over this.
I'd like to see it in Blue, but if it was available in this rolled-steel look, I'd have to seriously consider it!
This is coming out at the perfect time for me. I'll be 36 in a month and I feel like this could be my last car I buy new that has an ICE coupled directly to the driveline!
Now it's really just a matter of ...when can I take it home?

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
I seriously hope it goes on sale in the US May 2017 *fingers crossed*

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I seriously hope it goes on sale in the US May 2017 *fingers crossed*
That's what I've heard/read as well, and that's how I'm planning ... kinda hoped to have it in April (FnF8 premier) but whatever.
Sponsored