Introducing ACUITY's New Performance Shifter Centering Spring!

Status
Not open for further replies.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I think you meant this video (for this thread) ;):

Just a note on something not shown on the video: The spring comes with a little tube of silicone grease. Use it when doing the install. Put grease on the (new) spring, all over the rocker shaft, basically anyplace where pieces are going to rub on each other.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bobvudown

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I want to purchase these but it looks like a lot of work

Hellraisingvtec

CarStudio101
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI
Country flag
It took more time the first time I removed the console but it was fairly easy. Would recommend to do base bushing and the spring at once due to everything being removed. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out. Good luck

IDriveanSi

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
I've recently heard that the Stock type r shifters spring is almost identical to the acuity centering spring. Can anyone with a type R confirm this?

OP
OP
ACUITY

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I've recently heard that the Stock type r shifters spring is almost identical to the acuity centering spring. Can anyone with a type R confirm this?
Closer than the sport model, but not the same. The springs we sell increase centering force by about 100% on the Sport models and by 20% on the Si and CTR (Si and CTR use the same spring from the factory).

~russ

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Closer than the sport model, but not the same. The springs we sell increase centering force by about 100% on the Sport models and by 20% on the Si and CTR (Si and CTR use the same spring from the factory).

~russ
Did you guys make an updated centering spring?

OP
OP
ACUITY

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Did you guys make an updated centering spring?
This is a quote in regards to the centering spring upgrade we sell for the OEM shifters (SKU 1918).

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is a quote in regards to the centering spring upgrade we sell for the OEM shifters (SKU 1918).
I meant you guys made 2 versions of the centering spring correct? Originall it was just the spring with no rubber sleeving and now has rubber sleeving

OP
OP
ACUITY

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I meant you guys made 2 versions of the centering spring correct? Originally it was just the spring with no rubber sleeving and now has rubber sleeving
Ah ok. Yes, that's correct. The version with the rubber sleeves just reduces play in neutral and sound from centering a touch more compared to OEM springs and our old design. The new version with rubber started shipping quite a while back though, perhaps as 9-12 months back.

Jay_Tech

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Just installed this yesterday on my Si. Install was actually super easy and the difference is definitely noticeable. Love how the shifter feels. Now once I finish my other mods I have lined up I will probably end up getting the full shifter assembly as I have only ever heard great things.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello, I am very new to car modifications and the first time taking everything apart took me four hours just learning and being careful. I used the Acuity plastic tool kit and an angle hook pick like the instructions suggest. Putting everything back together took about 15 min. I realized I had a wire tucked incorrectly at almost the end of reassembly and had to take everything apart again and that only took about 15 min to disassemble again, as I now knew how all the various clips and harnesses had to be disconnected and where all the clips are. It was a big job but well worth it!

OP
OP
ACUITY

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Hello, I am very new to car modifications and the first time taking everything apart took me four hours just learning and being careful. I used the Acuity plastic tool kit and an angle hook pick like the instructions suggest. Putting everything back together took about 15 min. I realized I had a wire tucked incorrectly at almost the end of reassembly and had to take everything apart again and that only took about 15 min to disassemble again, as I now knew how all the various clips and harnesses had to be disconnected and where all the clips are. It was a big job but well worth it!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. This echos what we often tell people who are nervous. The first time, especially if you are new to removing interior panels, is a slow process, but after you've done it once, you're wayyyy faster. Glad the mods are treating you well! :)

~Russ

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Over the weekend I installed my CTR shifter in my Si. I put in the centering spring with the rubber sleeves but it would make a slight squeaking sound when pushing to one side. Used the provided lube on the section of the rubber sleeve that was brushing up against the shifter base but didn't help. Any advice on this? I just went ahead installed my shifter with the OEM CTR spring because I didn't want to possibly disassemble my center area again. Put in the solid base bushings as well. Out of curiosity I installed the acuity spring on my now removed Si shifter and it did the same squeak as well.

OP
OP
ACUITY

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Over the weekend I installed my CTR shifter in my Si. I put in the centering spring with the rubber sleeves but it would make a slight squeaking sound when pushing to one side. Used the provided lube on the section of the rubber sleeve that was brushing up against the shifter base but didn't help. Any advice on this? I just went ahead installed my shifter with the OEM CTR spring because I didn't want to possibly disassemble my center area again. Put in the solid base bushings as well. Out of curiosity I installed the acuity spring on my now removed Si shifter and it did the same squeak as well.
Hmmm, that's unusual. Chances are the spot you thought was causing a squeak was not it. Generally, grease will resolve a minor squeak. I'd see if perhaps the source is another location. If you are in need of more grease, we can help with that, or if you think for some reason you may have a bad unit, please reach out via our site and inquire about exchanging it. I've never run into one of these with an issue like this, so I'm guessing the grease in another location should resolve it, but we are here to help if that does not. :)

~Russ

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Hmmm, that's unusual. Chances are the spot you thought was causing a squeak was not it. Generally, grease will resolve a minor squeak. I'd see if perhaps the source is another location. If you are in need of more grease, we can help with that, or if you think for some reason you may have a bad unit, please reach out via our site and inquire about exchanging it. I've never run into one of these with an issue like this, so I'm guessing the grease in another location should resolve it, but we are here to help if that does not. :)

~Russ
Thanks Russ. Great customer service as always. I probably will reach out and inquire for an exchange. All the other parts I've purchased have been fantastic, especially the insulated esco knob. :drive:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.