Intermittent 3rd Gear Issues

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The past few times I've driven my car I'm noticing 3rd gear is acting up more than usual. Usually when I go to shift into 3rd gear, it just slots right in with an almost arcade feel. However, about 40% of the time when I go to shift into 3rd I am pushing through what feels like a lot of pressure or almost like a "wall" of some sort to get it into gear. It goes in usually, but the way it feels isn't normal. It feel as if the gears or synchros are not matching speeds properly. Seems to happen more frequently if I shift above 4K RPM, but it is happening at lower shifts as well. No idea what could've changed.

I know 2nd gear is a hot topic on these cars, but anyone have issues with 3rd? I remember reading a bunch about the 8th gen Civic 3rd gear issues, but not sure if this is related.
Sponsored

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
Yes, even when I drove the car new off the Lot, there seemed to be a blockage into 3rd gear.

It hasn't happen that often though, but I also don't drive my car that much.
It has like 800 miles and I can only remember happening only like x3 times.

Another thing i feel is when I'm coming close to a stop and I just row the Gear lever to 1st gear, I can feel a rattle in the Gear lever, but no grinding sensation. Not sure if that is normal. I have since just stopped trying to row to 1st in anticipation for a take off....unless I'm completely 0mph.