Interior rattles loudly at speed...

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My interior is rattling a LOT out of nowhere when I'm just driving. It seems to be made worse as RPMs increase. These aren't just creaks and rattles of the common kind, there is something vibrating in the area of the dashboard, or above it. I put my hand against so many things to see if it would stop but the noise persisted. My 13 year old RAV4 didn't make this much noise when I had it. HVAC on or off... noise persisted. It's not in the pillar either... not sure if it's just my car or what.

Has anyone taken their car in to the dealer to where the dealer actually did anything about this? The last time I asked a dealer to check out rattles with one of my previous cars they blew me off.

If I knew where it was coming from I would try and diagnose it myself, but I have a feeling I'd need to take apart like the entire driver cabin before I find the source of this stupid noise.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Adding a video. It's that creaking sound that happens about 10 seconds in. I'm driving on a smooth road with little bumps. Annoying as all hell to listen to. If I had to guess, it's coming from this center console area.

It's not constant though. It sometimes goes away and then comes back out of nowhere again. That's going to make it a bitch for the dealer to diagnose.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
Yep there is a well known rattle from the central dash area, a pillar rattle and b pillar near seat belt. Sometimes it happens under certain revs or if you've created a certain frequency of vibrations. Some people have disabled air bag and padded out the a pillar rattle with foam which worked. Used to bug me but doesn't now.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep there is a well known rattle from the central dash area, a pillar rattle and b pillar near seat belt. Sometimes it happens under certain revs or if you've created a certain frequency of vibrations. Some people have disabled air bag and padded out the a pillar rattle with foam which worked. Used to bug me but doesn't now.
That's annoying. I agree with the certain frequency of vibrations... it's sporadic as to when it comes on. When it does it's all I hear.

Disabling the air bag sounds like an excessive fix.

Miki

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I’m an owner of a 2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring, and let me tell you: I feel your frustration with these rattles.

Based on research I’ve done, it would seem this is a common issue. I get that same annoying dash rattle.

It started off as a random occurrence, then it would fade away after I drove for a bit. I imagined temperatures indicated prevalence. When I took my car to the dealership about 8 months ago (maybe longer), they weren’t able to replicate the noise. I went on a drive with one of the technicians: the rattle never made a sound. Since it did go away after a few moments, I figured to leave it and return to the issue at a later date.

Fast forward to present time: I turn the car on and the rattle is heard loud and clear. it does not go away. I took to the dealership, and they immediately heard it. Their initial reaction was to insert foam or whatever to silence the rattle. Never worked.

After having my car 3 days, I get a call from the dealership service department, “It looks like what’s causing that rattle is the Heater Core, it needs to be replaced .” Luckily my car is under warranty and the $900 job was free.

TL DR : my dash rattle was caused by my heater core, which had to be replaced, ending my dash rattle.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m an owner of a 2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring, and let me tell you: I feel your frustration with these rattles.

Based on research I’ve done, it would seem this is a common issue. I get that same annoying dash rattle.

It started off as a random occurrence, then it would fade away after I drove for a bit. I imagined temperatures indicated prevalence. When I took my car to the dealership about 8 months ago (maybe longer), they weren’t able to replicate the boiseI went on a drive with one of the technicians, the rattle never made a sound. Since it did go away after a few moments, I figured to leave it and return to the issue at a later date.

Fast forward to present time: I turn the car on and the rattle is heard loud and clear. it does not go away. I took to the dealership, and they immediately heard it. Their initial reaction was to insert foam or whatever to silence the rattle. Never worked.

After having my car 3 days, I get a call from the dealership service department, “It looks like what’s causing that rattle is the Heater Core, it needs to be replaced .” Luckily my car is under warranty and the $900 was free.

TL DR : my dash rattle was caused by my heater core, which had to be replaced, ending my dash rattle.
That's my fear - it'll be silent when I ask the dealer to look for it. It's extremely random as when it happens it persists for like 20-30 minutes, then it stops until it feels like happening again.

At least you got your issue resolved

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I had a rattle from front side as well, turned out to be the steering wheel airbag cover where the horn is, being loose. I never knew what it was at first because I wouldn’t think to push it down.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
had a similar issue in my door. I had somebody else drive so i could find where it was coming from and then wedged a business card into a crack in the plastic to get the vibration to stop

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah from my best guess it sounds like it's coming from behind the infotainment. I've pressed a bunch of pieces to see if it stops creaking but I've had no luck.

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
I’ve got the same damn rattle... it usually occurs as I pass over 3800 rpm in each gear. I’m just gonna live with it cuz I don’t want the dealer to tear apart my car making new rattles or breaking other stuff.... guess I’m weird like that. The rattle does annoy me though... if it was constant then I’d take it in

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve got the same damn rattle... it usually occurs as I pass over 3800 rpm in each gear. I’m just gonna live with it cuz I don’t want the dealer to tear apart my car making new rattles or breaking other stuff.... guess I’m weird like that. The rattle does annoy me though... if it was constant then I’d take it in
Part of me wants to ask them to look at it but it’s not constant enough and I dunno if its worth the risk of them taking everything apart.

kaolinite

First Name
Casper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
i have the same rattle in the dash that sounds like its coming from behind the head unit ... around 3500rpm in any gear. Also been thinking of taking it in to the dealership but the sound happens for like once a week randomly.

juang1985

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GOLF R MK7
Country flag
Guys.. I got the exact same rattle vibration as the one on the video. Have any of you found the source? I got a 2021 with 2k miles... rattle is not consistent but when it's there is so annoying!
Sponsored