Interior question, not customization related, but help requested!

NotYrGrndMa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-T
So, one of the worst things that could happen to my mom happened - she dropped her wedding ring in my car (passenger side between the seat and the center console). She is devastated - she is a widow and feels like she lost my father all over again (and I'm not hearing the end of it). I immediately drove back to her house after she dropped it, and stood outside the passenger door to make certain the ring hadn't caught on her clothing or wasn't on the seat when she got out - no luck. We searched all other possible options outside of the car in hopes it would be easily found with no results, it has to be somewhere in the car.

I've searched the interior multiple times and had zero luck finding it, including moving the seat forward and back while shining a light on the track in hope of dislodging it. I'm to the point of getting ready to take the seat out, but wanted to check here to see if there was any place under the seat/near the console that I should check. Is there any place where the ring could possibly slide into the frame under the carpet near the seat joins? Any precautions I should take before/while removing the seat? Would the dealer be able to have better access to places in the car where it might have become wedged other than removing the seat?

I know I'm not the first person to have a ring lost this way (Google has proven it), but nothing came up for this generation of Civic. I have an EX-T, the passenger seat is not powered except for the heater. Any tips will be helpful - Mom has had it rough lately, and I hate that she is crying herself to sleep over this!
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So, one of the worst things that could happen to my mom happened - she dropped her wedding ring in my car (passenger side between the seat and the center console). She is devastated - she is a widow and feels like she lost my father all over again (and I'm not hearing the end of it). I immediately drove back to her house after she dropped it, and stood outside the passenger door to make certain the ring hadn't caught on her clothing or wasn't on the seat when she got out - no luck. We searched all other possible options outside of the car in hopes it would be easily found with no results, it has to be somewhere in the car.

I've searched the interior multiple times and had zero luck finding it, including moving the seat forward and back while shining a light on the track in hope of dislodging it. I'm to the point of getting ready to take the seat out, but wanted to check here to see if there was any place under the seat/near the console that I should check. Is there any place where the ring could possibly slide into the frame under the carpet near the seat joins? Any precautions I should take before/while removing the seat? Would the dealer be able to have better access to places in the car where it might have become wedged other than removing the seat?

I know I'm not the first person to have a ring lost this way (Google has proven it), but nothing came up for this generation of Civic. I have an EX-T, the passenger seat is not powered except for the heater. Any tips will be helpful - Mom has had it rough lately, and I hate that she is crying herself to sleep over this!
I would highly reccomend paying somebody to do it, perhaps ask your dealer and they may be happy to oblige in removing your seats?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
If you want to remove the seat, it's quite easy.

1. DISCONNECT BATTERY. The seats have airbags in the shoulders, and it's always safe to disconnect battery. Follow regular procedures.
2. Seats are bolted down, usually with Torx screws. You'll need to find a proper set. They may be standard 14~17mm bolts.
3. Loosen all the bolts, reach under and disconnect wiring harnesses, remove seat carefully.

After that it's snooping around.

If you want a lifehack, put a pantyhose over the nozzle of a very strong shopvac. The pantyhose will not let the large item get sucked in.

Good luck to you and your mom.
Sponsored