First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic LX hatchback
Country flag
Hello, I have a 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback LX

I spilled soda on the cup holder; and the whole mechanism that holds it together to allow it to slide back n forth has been tainted with liquid. Before, it used to slide back n forth with just a flick of your pinky, now you have to put all your muscles into it; the glide is just awful.

Honestly, I never wanted to eat or drink in my babe. But it was one of those careless situations where you had a passenger and you forget everything related to the car or yourself because you're focused on them instead. And sh-- happens.

Is there a way to properly clean this? I already have Maguire's interior clean for the plastic interior; I'm going to be cleaning inside and outside of my Civic. She's long overdo for some proper attention and it's about time I get serious with my maintenance that I used to do and haven't done consistently for awhile like I vowed to do. But anyway, I tried water, and that didn't do the trick. It managed to get rid of the Soda stain inside the actual cup holder, but it didn't thoroughly remove anything. I mean it's still VERY much there, but at least it's more likely to be loose/will come off in the future.

I was tempted to just buy a whole new cup holder unit but that's money down the drain that I could apply elsewhere. And I remember when i joined the forums the first time I asked the community for a list of crap I could possibly do for the car and just never had the budget to do so. But turning my life around today with focusing on working & making money, I am finally down the path of getting around to that darn list I've been dreaming about.

Well anyway, I am just focused on cleaning this damn soda stain. Any advice is appreciated. I'll put in some pictures of the cupholder tomorrow when there's sunlight and I better prep for the cleaning she needs. Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
You mean that plastic part that you can remove? That holds the 2x drinks?
Just take it out of the car (it's removable - pull the little clip and yank it). Bring it inside and rinse it in your sink. Clean the rails it slides in with a wet microfibre and you are done.

OP
OP
BringTheCows

BringTheCows

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You mean that plastic part that you can remove? That holds the 2x drinks?
Just take it out of the car (it's removable - pull the little clip and yank it). Bring it inside and rinse it in your sink. Clean the rails it slides in with a wet microfibre and you are done.
That's what i did; but it didn't do anything. i let it soak in water, and used a microfiber to wipe it dry and it still contained the sticky liquid from the drinks. I guess I'll just keep trying that. Thank you

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Honestly sounds like a simple "clean it better" is needed. Especially with sticky liquids.

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
Try Dawn and let it soak for a while?

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Make sure you clean the rails. Use a microfibre with your nails using into them, or something like a q-tip. If it's sort of baked in get any car interior cleaner from an auto parts store. You can probably even use a lysol wipe

OP
OP
BringTheCows

BringTheCows

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you friends, I managed to get the all soda stain off entirely; and the cup holder glides smoothly, perhaps even smoother than before!