Interested in Purchasing a Honda Civic

Turboblu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si Blue, 15 Sedona (Shuttle Atlantis)
Country flag
I second Frank's advice to get a HondaCare warranty. I am a new Civic owner for the first time after owning Pilots and Accords for many years so just joined this forum. I highly recommend the HONDA CARE warranty and get it before you get to 6000 miles (and < 1 year ownership), as you can get 7 years 120k miles (vs 3 yr/36 that comes for free). After 6000 miles costs go up and length of available warranty comes down. There are a couple of Honda dealers online who sell it much cheaper than any other dealer does and I used Hyannis Honda and Sean was a huge help in understanding my options as I was over 6000 miles and at 1 year of ownership.

If you don’t kind me asking. How much does the extra warranty generally cost. Looking at purchasing a new civic Si so just wondering how much is that 7year 120k kinda warranty coverage to know before purchasing car.
Sponsored

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
If you don’t kind me asking. How much does the extra warranty generally cost. Looking at purchasing a new civic Si so just wondering how much is that 7year 120k kinda warranty coverage to know before purchasing car.
In December of 2018, I paid $1150 for 7year 120k Hondacare on my Civic Touring Coupe. It's a good plan, also includes road service.

Turboblu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si Blue, 15 Sedona (Shuttle Atlantis)
Country flag
In December of 2018, I paid $1150 for 7year 120k Hondacare on my Civic Touring Coupe. It's a good plan, also includes road service.
and you bought this after the fact?? Did they offer this at the dealership first at a higher price. Just trying to get info before I “go to battle” so to say.

1Texan

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Sedan CBP
Country flag
It's completed during the signing your life away process. Negotiate with this as well. They'll offer for a certain amount and you want to purchase for a lot less, then compromise.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
and you bought this after the fact?? Did they offer this at the dealership first at a higher price. Just trying to get info before I “go to battle” so to say.
Negotiated at time of purchase, they tried to sell a 3rd party package that included service, then quoted a price about $2200, I leveled with the sales person and requested a different finance guy (finance folks tend to be kinda sleazy everywhere) told her the sale was dependent on a reasonable price for the Hondacare, a far different finance guy, who did a bit of digging into my 35 year purchase history at that dealership, offered the package for $1150 without the BS, I wrote a check for the car and everything went smoothly. My good friend, who is the Service Manager, had advised NOT taking the 3rd party program, which he described as a RIP-off and to stay with Hondacare, which I've had on my last 5 Hondas and has usually saved me some money and gives me the peace-of-mind that I won't have a big repair bill should something go awry. My 2013 Civic EX Coupe needed rear struts & bushings at about 60k, would have cost close to $1000. Definitely negotiate and don't be pushed, package shouldn't cost over $1200 for most Civics. JMHO

cos999

First Name
CA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX,2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
Country flag
I think I recall that with <6000 miles, 6 months of ownership the 8/120 price last fall was $1250. Prices always go up a bit, but you can decouple the new car purchase from the warranty and pick any Honda dealer you want. My dealer wanted me to get a third party warranty (good price, but no way I want to deal with a third party) and their Honda Care pricing for the same was like $2000 at time of purchase. So google Honda Care pick some of the dealers listed and get price quotes. I did, and can say best price was Hyannis Honda.

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey all, first post on a car forum, or really anywhere in general.

I'm a first time car buyer looking to leave a hand me down Chevrolet Equinox which will cost it's own market value ($3,000) or more to fix because it burns too much oil.

My heart, mind, and soul has been set on a Civic Type R for some time but in the near future (about ~3 weeks) saving for one, let alone purchasing one is unlikely.

My price range is limited to $20-28k, conservatively, because I have a few things backing my new purchase. (Just not a $38,000 car...)

So, I've looked at the standard Civic, the Civic Sport, and the Civic Si.

I want a fun car, the way the Type R is marketed, so I'm learning toward the Sport or the Si.

I was wondering a few things:
1) What is the standard transmission in the Civic Sport/Civic Si like?
(I've previously driven standard a handful of times where it was a Civic S Type with a very short 1st gear, so I found it difficult to get moving, but easy to use otherwise- also, I hear that standard transmission cars may have fewer issues and significantly lighter than automatic in the long-term)

2) What it it like to daily drive the Civic /Civic Sport/ Civic Si?

3) What about creature comforts standard with the higher trim levels? (Is there something I'm missing if I get a base Civic Sport that a Civic LX or EX would have standard?)

4) As a first time car buyer looking at what I think is an incredibly practical model of vehicle, what are your thoughts in general about purchasing a new civic (which I will likely drive to 200,000 miles) vs. any other competition?

Please tell me what you think.
I am surprised to see you had an Equinox as well. Mine was an LTZ and the dealer where I bought my Honda from gave me $9,000 for it and it was a 2010. I got it back in December 2018. Plus there was an excessive oil consumption recall on it to. I’m sure they’ll show up in the car fax report now. I ended up getting a 2018 Honda Civic Ex. It’s nothing fancy or sporty but I’ve been looking at some different options and after reviewing the car fax report on the car it seem like whoever had the car prior took good care of it. My car only had 28,000 miles on it but I ended up getting the Honda warranty and extended it out one year after the 6 year loan. My car payment went up but not by much. It’s better to have than have to pay lots of money for repairs.

But I’m pretty sure I got a basic model car. But it can always have additions to it :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Interested in Purchasing a Honda Civic D513119F-B211-406C-AA3A-BF8AC0C4067E

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just some practical considerations if this is going to be your daily driver/commuter and you are anticipating driving it for 200k

The Si & CTR use premium fuel (where I live .60 a gal more)
Both use a tire size that is quite expensive, the CTR more so (figure on $1000+ for a smaller size wheel set, even 18" quality tires are spendy)
Consider a EX trim level w/CVT, its 174hp, works well with the auto and gets fantastic mpg with 87 octane (yes, Toptier fuel is better)
It has the amenities you want, heated seats, upgraded stereo/XM, etc, uses tires that are significantly less expensive.
If you're concerned with longevity, you can get a Hondacare package for about $1000-1200 that covers pretty much anything to 120k, use a quality synthetic oil & filter and change every 5-7.5k and change the CVT fluid more often.
I've had a 2016 EXL and have a 2019 Touring, both trouble-free, plenty of power on the highway, quiet and comfortable.
Honda makes great manuals, great performance, but in terms of longevity and cost of operating, crunch the #'s, and at least look at an EX.
Yes, I have been accused of being overly pragmatic, I'll own that.
Things I dislike about my Touring: 18" wheels, automatic rain-sensing wipers that can't be switched off. If I had it to do over, probably would have gone with the EX, wanted the leather and nav, but could live without them.
Again, just some practical ruminations on your dilemma.
I purchased my first Honda the other day. All on my own with $2,500 down payment. Traded my 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ for a Honda. And it’s the EX model. I love it.
Sponsored