Intercoolers, Black or silver?

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What’s up everyone, I’m ready to purchase a intercooler but I’m debating on wether or not to get silver or black, I’ve read here and there that the differences is negligible for pulling in cooler air. The silver seems to do slightly better but since I live in Massachusetts where there’s salt and snow and all that good stuff, I was thinking maybe the black intercooler would help prevent rust and corrosion than with the silver one. Some personal preferences and feedback will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advanced!
Sponsored

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What’s up everyone, I’m ready to purchase a intercooler but I’m debating on wether or not to get silver or black, I’ve read here and there that the differences is negligible for pulling in cooler air. The silver seems to do slightly better but since I live in Massachusetts where there’s salt and snow and all that good stuff, I was thinking maybe the black intercooler would help prevent rust and corrosion than with the silver one. Some personal preferences and feedback will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advanced!
Black coated will probably do better against rust and corrosion.

Unless you get a stencil, you won't really be able to see that you have an aftermarket intercooler. I personally like the all-black look and just got a mishimoto FMIC + pipes in black last week:

Honda Civic 10th gen Intercoolers, Black or silver? 20210130_171410

Honda Civic 10th gen Intercoolers, Black or silver? 20210131_170835

Honda Civic 10th gen Intercoolers, Black or silver? 20210130_192139

OP
OP
TSI

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Unless you get a stencil, you won't really be able to see that you have an aftermarket intercooler. I personally like the all-black look and just got a mishimoto FMIC + pipes in black last week:

20210130_171410.jpg

20210131_170835.jpg

20210130_192139.jpg
That intercooler looks sick!! Wow you can’t even tell you have an intercooler in those pictures, a great way to have that “sleeper” look. Yeah I’m leaning towards the black intercooler bc of the salt and snow we get here. I don’t mind the stencil, I might even stencil “booty” on it or something LOL. Is there a noticeable difference with the temps? I know intercoolers help out a lot especially with heat soak and keeping things cool?

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That intercooler looks sick!! Wow you can’t even tell you have an intercooler in those pictures, a great way to have that “sleeper” look. Yeah I’m leaning towards the black intercooler bc of the salt and snow we get here. I don’t mind the stencil, I might even stencil “booty” on it or something LOL. Is there a noticeable difference with the temps? I know intercoolers help out a lot especially with heat soak and keeping things cool?
Booty lollll

I haven't been monitoring temps, but I'm sure it's doing it's job! Some others have the Mishi FMIC and have seen good results. I just bought it because of a pricing mistake that I saw on Amazon lolll they had the IC + Charge pipes listed at $567 so I jumped on it ?

OP
OP
TSI

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Booty lollll

I haven't been monitoring temps, but I'm sure it's doing it's job! Some others have the Mishi FMIC and have seen good results. I just bought it because of a pricing mistake that I saw on Amazon lolll they had the IC + Charge pipes listed at $567 so I jumped on it ?
That’s great to hear that it’s doing it’s job! WHATTT?!! $567?! With piping?! You got madddd lucky lol!! Those retail for about $950ish retail right? I need to start window shopping everyday more often to hopefully get a steal one day ?

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Is there a noticeable difference with the temps? I know intercoolers help out a lot especially with heat soak and keeping things cool?
I have a 27Won FMIC. Black with white stencil on it.

It helps tremendously in terms of heat soak and keeping things cool. I did a bunch of datalogging and posted my results here on this forum: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/27won-front-mount-intercooler-review-with-datalogs.47613/

Found that it helped reduce IAT2 (post turbo, post intercooler) temperatures by average mid 30F. Keeps my knock control in check too due to the cooler air. I could drive hard for longer periods of time without seeing my IAT2's skyrocket to the 100-120F (depending on ambient temps, that is). Heat soak takes much longer to take into effect.

You would normally see a reduction in temps in spirited driving or in boost. Normal driving or cruising will most likely not affect intake temps at all, unless ambient temperatures are cold.

The worst is cruising on hot days as hot air is flowing through the intercooler, you have hot air being compressed in the turbo from your intake and heat seeping from the engine into the engine bay. Or even worse, is idling on hot days (like at a red light) with no air flow, IAT's climb up like Gamestop stocks, then dip down when you begin moving.

Last edited:

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic hx ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
personally i want silver in my car i want to see it easily so when it comes time to do a cooler swap ill be getting a silver cooler

Reactions: TSI

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic hx ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

20210130_171410.jpg

20210131_170835.jpg

20210130_192139.jpg
?

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I always wanted silver before I had purchased an after market one. I ended up getting a black one and now I love the black. I think you’ll be happy with either colour! They both look great and you can’t go wrong! If you are going to get a turbo upgrade one day go for a kit that includes the pipes, you will get more benefits and they complement each other.
Honda Civic 10th gen Intercoolers, Black or silver? 4FAC0D6E-D9D2-4663-BCAF-5D19C881A4FB

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i think the black looks a lot better personally...i'd say if it's the same price then yeah... :cool:

eaeaerick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Sedan
Country flag
Mighty car mods did a few videos on black vs silver intercoolers. Worth watching.

OP
OP
TSI

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 27Won FMIC. Black with white stencil on it.

It helps tremendously in terms of heat soak and keeping things cool. I did a bunch of datalogging and posted my results here on this forum: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/27won-front-mount-intercooler-review-with-datalogs.47613/

Found that it helped reduce IAT2 (post turbo, post intercooler) temperatures by average mid 30F. Keeps my knock control in check too due to the cooler air. I could drive hard for longer periods of time without seeing my IAT2's skyrocket to the 100-120F (depending on ambient temps, that is). Heat soak takes much longer to take into effect.

You would normally see a reduction in temps in spirited driving or in boost. Normal driving or cruising will most likely not affect intake temps at all, unless ambient temperatures are cold.

The worst is cruising on hot days as hot air is flowing through the intercooler, you have hot air being compressed in the turbo from your intake and heat seeping from the engine into the engine bay. Or even worse, is idling on hot days (like at a red light) with no air flow, IAT's climb up like Gamestop stocks, then dip down when you begin moving.
Wow I read through all 3 pages, it seems that the knock control was going down steadily each and every pull you did with the 27Won intercooler, that’s honestly the only reason why I want to get it. Knowing that the car will run smoother and cooler through spirited driving/bursts is what I’m looking at. I would also be full bolt ons after this intercooler install so I’ll be looking into custom tunes in the near future. This is my first car and all of this is so new to me but this community has SO much information to take in and learn from. Thanks for your data logs with the intercooler, I’m sold on it!

OP
OP
TSI

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
personally i want silver in my car i want to see it easily so when it comes time to do a cooler swap ill be getting a silver cooler
Silver does look killer too but man I don’t know how well they hold up in the northeast. I’ve seen PLENTY of cars up here run them in silver so I don’t see why not BUT I’m not looking at it very closely for it ?

OP
OP
TSI

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I always wanted silver before I had purchased an after market one. I ended up getting a black one and now I love the black. I think you’ll be happy with either colour! They both look great and you can’t go wrong! If you are going to get a turbo upgrade one day go for a kit that includes the pipes, you will get more benefits and they complement each other.
4FAC0D6E-D9D2-4663-BCAF-5D19C881A4FB.jpeg
Something is telling me to go for the black intercooler for the sleeper look. It looks amazing and I don’t think that many people run them but I’m going back and forth with myself lol. Yeah I’m definitely looking into a turbo upgrade one day so I’ll definitely be getting the whole kit with the charge pipes, Then I gotta worry about which clutch to grab In the process but I’ll figure that out when the time comes.

OP
OP
TSI

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i think the black looks a lot better personally...i'd say if it's the same price then yeah... :cool:
I would snag the 27Won intercooler but I don’t think they’ll be in stock until the summer time if I’m not mistaken, I’m leaning towards the PRL intercooler which can come in black as it’ll probably take 2-4 weeks to come in just in time for the weather to hopefully warm up. It’ll cost a little more for getting it in black but I think it’ll be worth it.
Sponsored