TSI

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Welp guys I pulled the trigger and ordered the black PRL intercooler with charge pipes, as much as I wanted to get the silver after seeing geeeek’s photo which almost changed my mind instantly..I wanted to get black to protect it just a tad bit better dealing with all the snow and salt here during the winter months as it seems long and dreadful here ?. I’ll be making a installation video on YouTube for it once the weather warms up!
Sponsored

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That intercooler looks sick!! Wow you can’t even tell you have an intercooler in those pictures, a great way to have that “sleeper” look. Yeah I’m leaning towards the black intercooler bc of the salt and snow we get here. I don’t mind the stencil, I might even stencil “booty” on it or something LOL. Is there a noticeable difference with the temps? I know intercoolers help out a lot especially with heat soak and keeping things cool?
Please do, and post subsequent pics. I will even cut you a template on my Cricut machine bro ?

Reactions: TSI

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan / 04’ CRV EX 5MT
Country flag
What is the cause of the "bumper sag" you guys are talking about

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is the cause of the "bumper sag" you guys are talking about
Running without all of the pieces that originally held the bumper, grille, and lip together. The wind pushes down on the front lip, and since there were modifications done to this assembly (lip, grille, bumper) it reduced the structural integrity. That's why OP mentioned there were metal rods placed inside the OEM lip to help reinforce.

OP
OP
TSI

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Please do, and post subsequent pics. I will even cut you a template on my Cricut machine bro ?
HAHA!! If you actually cut me a template, I will for sure use it, I think I wrote in the comments when I ordered it to have the PRL’s logo on it BUT if they don’t do it, I’ll have to get back to you on this one lol!

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
HAHA!! If you actually cut me a template, I will for sure use it, I think I wrote in the comments when I ordered it to have the PRL’s logo on it BUT if they don’t do it, I’ll have to get back to you on this one lol!
Ahhhh damn bro. Keep me posted because I would dieee laughing if it just says "booty" on your friggen IC ????

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan / 04’ CRV EX 5MT
Country flag
Running without all of the pieces that originally held the bumper, grille, and lip together. The wind pushes down on the front lip, and since there were modifications done to this assembly (lip, grille, bumper) it reduced the structural integrity. That's why OP mentioned there were metal rods placed inside the OEM lip to help reinforce.
and in this case the removed piece is the mesh infront of the IC right?

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
and in this case the removed piece is the mesh infront of the IC right?
Yea I would leave that intact if you plan on going over like 40mph lol it's there for a reason from the factory. Sure you can run without but it sounds like you're worried about the integrity, I don't think it's worth it. Your other bet would to cut out the inside and see if having the frame of the lower grille in there might help... But that's a no return mod haha

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
My personal preference has been silver since over time it won't show the pitted marks from rocks, but at the same time the Black core also looks super stealth. The difference in performance will be negligible for majority of the street driving, only while idling while the sun is facing the front I would imagine the black IC would hold more heat.

I've got the Mishimoto Silver on my Si, and just took out a Black one we have in stock for some comparison pics with stock:

Honda Civic 10th gen Intercoolers, Black or silver? IMG_20210208_213911_289

Honda Civic 10th gen Intercoolers, Black or silver? DSC_1929.JPG

https://unity-performance.com/search?q=Mishimoto intercooler

JW0914

Banned
Banned
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Orion Nebula
Country flag
@TSI Unless you want to increase the IAT, any color but black should be used [physics] and there are other ways to protect it from the elements, such as a clear enamel spray, however aluminum doesn't rust (its oxide layer is the aluminum color we see).
  • Keep in mind the bottom of the engine bay is completely enclosed and not open to the road, so the only way you'd get salt and other elements onto the front of it is being at the right angle behind someone from tire splatter; regardless a clear enamel spray in satin or gloss would be far better than black.

Last edited:

OP
OP
TSI

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@TSI Unless you want to increase the IAT, any color but black should be used [physics] and there are other ways to protect it from the elements, such as a clear enamel spray, however aluminum doesn't rust (its oxide layer is the aluminum color we see).
  • Keep in mind the bottom of the engine bay is completely enclosed and not open to the road, so the only way you'd get salt and other elements onto the front of it is being at the right angle behind someone from tire splatter; regardless a clear enamel spray in satin or gloss would be far better than black.
Ahhh I already purchased the black intercooler ? but thanks for the advice! Good thing I don’t really track or go street racing “yet” I just like to do spirited driving by myself majority of the time so an upgraded intercooler is better than the stock intercooler in my eyes.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ahhh I already purchased the black intercooler ? but thanks for the advice! Good thing I don’t really track or go street racing “yet” I just like to do spirited driving by myself majority of the time so an upgraded intercooler is better than the stock intercooler in my eyes.
Which one did you get

rgomez19

First Name
Raphael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type R
Country flag
I went with the gray. It stands out more vs a black one especially if you out your car in a car show.

Honda Civic 10th gen Intercoolers, Black or silver? EA0FF4FB-9469-4F96-9480-D947A203DE0C

Honda Civic 10th gen Intercoolers, Black or silver? 19961C86-D4CC-4E43-B9C2-2E85D2FE85FF

Honda Civic 10th gen Intercoolers, Black or silver? CD9B58C4-6723-4873-8A39-B28D942C8E84

Honda Civic 10th gen Intercoolers, Black or silver? B1BEA809-42C8-4575-AECC-F692DBAF9264

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got the black powder coated PRL intercooler with the charge pipes!
Nice! You’ll be happy. Upgrading the intercooler was one of my favourite mods. The pipes also look awesome in the engine bay.
Sponsored