Intercooler vs Downpipe which to get next?

Beach civic si

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Just some advice on what to get next. At this point I have ktuner with tsp stage 1 tune, no other bolt ons at this point
I'm not planning to get to crazy with power may 300 max since I don't want to stress the engine too much
maybe at some point when the car is paid off I might do upgraded turbo but not in the near future
what would be better to go with first, rv6 downpipe or intercooler.
eventually I will do both but money is always a factor lol
Sponsored

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Neither. Research first, and setting your own objectives before you buy new mods because based on the direction / goal you have, you will plan your own mods accordingly. Top right of the forum, there's a search tool that will help you find in-depth discussions on the questions you are asking as I've noticed you're creating multiple threads for every inquiry you have when there are other existing threads that can help answer.

Not meaning to be rude about it, trying to help you get your footing right on the forum and in the long-term build a better hassle-free car for yourself. My rule is to build from the bottom up, and that's through 2+ years of modifying this platform and looking at what I would do differently, or what I did right from the beginning. Bottom Up means being able to support any power mods which I consider being Top Down - better grippy tires are essential bottom up items to support adding a tune, because spinning ain't winning. Brakes are a bottom up item as well because you'll be using them more often when you start adding power etc.

To answer your question, if it was me then heat management comes before adding power. I got a Mishimoto IC kit before my upgraded 27won Catted DP. Next question you would likely have is "Ok, which brand to go with?". Would answer it in the same way saying I did my research, and at the time of purchase these were the best available products according to what I read.

Welcome to CivicX, looking forward to your build :)

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Neither. Research first, and setting your own objectives before you buy new mods because based on the direction / goal you have, you will plan your own mods accordingly. Top right of the forum, there's a search tool that will help you find in-depth discussions on the questions you are asking as I've noticed you're creating multiple threads for every inquiry you have when there are other existing threads that can help answer.

Not meaning to be rude about it, trying to help you get your footing right on the forum and in the long-term build a better hassle-free car for yourself. My rule is to build from the bottom up, and that's through 2+ years of modifying this platform and looking at what I would do differently, or what I did right from the beginning. Bottom Up means being able to support any power mods which I consider being Top Down - better grippy tires are essential bottom up items to support adding a tune, because spinning ain't winning. Brakes are a bottom up item as well because you'll be using them more often when you start adding power etc.

To answer your question, if it was me then heat management comes before adding power. I got a Mishimoto IC kit before my upgraded 27won Catted DP. Next question you would likely have is "Ok, which brand to go with?". Would answer it in the same way saying I did my research, and at the time of purchase these were the best available products according to what I read.

Welcome to CivicX, looking forward to your build :)
Actually I would push you to check out @CanadiaegeanBlue and @kshawn 's build threads. You'll not only get some good ideas, but you can avoid the same pitfalls they ran into ;)

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Actually I would push you to check out @CanadiaegeanBlue and @kshawn 's build threads. You'll not only get some good ideas, but you can avoid the same pitfalls they ran into ;)
Happy to help all at the sake of my wallet...and sanity at times looking into these things for weeks on end!

I'm thinking of creating a master thread that people can refer to if they're looking for a gradual build list, with different directions one can take (power, suspension, aesthetic interior and exterior, wheel and tire size, warranty-friendly etc.). Will leave the brands out of it to stay neutral, and if it's good enough with everyone's input to get Sticky'd then why not :)

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Happy to help all at the sake of my wallet...and sanity at times looking into these things for weeks on end!

I'm thinking of creating a master thread that people can refer to if they're looking for a gradual build list, with different directions one can take (power, suspension, aesthetic interior and exterior, wheel and tire size, warranty-friendly etc.). Will leave the brands out of it to stay neutral, and if it's good enough with everyone's input to get Sticky'd then why not :)
You have my vote :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Beach civic si

Beach civic si

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Thanks guys for the great input, I will definitely check those threads, sounds like a great place to start.
Ya I like to research everything and get as much knowledge as I can before I proceed to the next level
I'm used to working on old v8s, so this is pretty new to me, but I'm really enjoying it.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One comment about the intercooler. Remember that large charge pipes will cause turbo lag. It will take a long time for the little OEM turbo to pressurize that much volume in the pipes. With the stock turbo it would be best to keep your OEM charge pipes. When/if you get the upgraded turbo then larger charge pipes make more sense.

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Another comment, I just installed the 27Won intercooler with a 2.25-inch hot pipe and 2.75-inch cold pipe, which is currently one of the largest on the market. I haven't really felt any turbo lag at all, the OEM turbo spools up quite quickly. This intercooler must use these included pipes.

If this is a concern to you, there are other intercoolers that are just standalone but will have couplers in order to use the OEM charge pipes.

Last edited: