Intercooler install issues

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
Hey all,
Just spent the morning installing the Prl intercooler with a buddy. Install was going pretty smooth until I buttoned everything up and tried to turn the car on. It idles for a little bit (very low, like 500rpm) and starts to sputter. Any ideas on what's going on? All my piping seems pretty tight so I'm wondering if it could be something else. No warnings in the dash. I'll also add that I'm running the Prl short ram with race MAF and tuned with a tsp stage 1 that's set up for it.

Hoping someone with some more experience can chime in on what to check!
Thanks

*Edited with a little more info
Sponsored

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey all,
Just spent the morning installing the Prl intercooler with a buddy. Install was going pretty smooth until I buttoned everything up and tried to turn the car on. It idles for a little bit (very low, like 500rpm) and starts to sputter. Any ideas on what's going on? All my piping seems pretty tight so I'm wondering if it could be something else. No warnings in the dash. I'll also add that I'm running the Prl short ram with race MAF and tuned with a tsp stage 1 that's set up for it.

Hoping someone with some more experience can chime in on what to check!
Thanks

*Edited with a little more info
All the sensors plugged in correctly? and no leaks?

OP
OP

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think there's only 3 that get unplugged along the charge pipe. I'll double check them, but all the hoses are bolted on pretty snug with the clamps.

Is there any kind of packing plastic they put in the tubes of the intercooler itself that would prevent airflow from getting through?

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Maybe wrong plugs in the wrong reason

OP
OP

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So...just disassembled again....there definitely are some red plastic caps on the ends of the intercooler. Guess that makes me an idiot, not sure how I missed those. Will follow up when I start the car again

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So...just disassembled again....there definitely are some red plastic caps on the ends of the intercooler. Guess that makes me an idiot, not sure how I missed those. Will follow up when I start the car again
Thanks for the laugh man and sharing that. :D I hope all goes well when u get it all back together. :thumbsup:

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

OP
OP

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Alrighty, update - good ole girl is running just fine now that those plugs are out. So moral of the story is dont be an idiot and take em out when you do the install.

She's got a new rattle above 4k rpm now, but it may be from the bumper not getting seated correctly as I had to install it back in place by myself. I'll probably do another round of tweaks and adjustments next weekend but it's good enough to get me to work for now so I'm not complaining.

Thanks all for the laughs, love being part of the community here. :headbang::thumbsup:

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Dead :rofl:

Glad it was something simple tho!