First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As mentioned, air gets hot when you compress it and cools when you expand it. The engine bay gets very hot and causes heat soak. One of the major factors in the engine bay getting so hot that have not been mentioned is the limited air flow by the bottom pan closing off the bay area. Possibly the major heat source is the air conditioner. It pumps heat out from the passenger compartment into the engine bay.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx

CyberCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
One of the major factors in the engine bay getting so hot that have not been mentioned is the limited air flow by the bottom pan closing off the bay area.
I've had the same exact thought as you. I bought my car in August when it was hot in the northeast and immediately noticed sluggish performance after a few WOT sprints. Once parked in my garage and hood lifted, nearly EVERYTHING under the hood was hot to the touch. Now that it's in the 40s-50s, even after many WOT sprints, the engine bay components are just warm at most. The stock airbox is cool to the touch and I notice no performance degradation in the cooler temperatures. Ambient temperature is a huge factor on this car.

davynmoto

First Name
Davyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si , 17 Jetta GTI, 05 SRT-4, 04 600FRi, 95 EG Hatch & 72 GMC
Country flag
Maybe not with what they did for testing but the fact of the matter is, the car does heat soak. It’s been proven already and there are threads on here showing it. Sooo..o_O
Facts dont lie you are Vary Correct

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Stock intercooler does heat soaked since it's so thin and made out of plastic I wetness it for myself I used my ktuner to monitor the iat and it does heat soak

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Stock intercooler does heat soaked since it's so thin and made out of plastic I wetness it for myself I used my ktuner to monitor the iat and it does heat soak
So what did you witness?

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The difference between stock and aftermarket
I should've been more specific. How much of a difference did you see? Before and after numbers...

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
I should've been more specific. How much of a difference did you see? Before and after numbers...
20 to 30 degrees difference

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
Yo guys the heat soak in the summer is terrible. I may as well revert to stock and only rip early in the morning on the way to work, and or at night on weekends

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Sharing with you my experience with stock intercooler and I think the stock intercooler should do fine in climate with cooler temperature and less humidity.

I took the car for a spin 3 days ago to make adjustment for tuning purpose. The datalog is showing a 20 PSI tuning using Hondata Flashpro.

Ambient temperature was 93 F, with 73% humidity, according to my phone.

Highest IAT temp was 162 F, highest IAT2 was 154 F, and highest ECT during the run was 205 F.

You may refer from the datalog attached.

If you live in cooler and less humid climate than mine and only drive for daily driving with a few short high RPM run, I think the stock intercooler is sufficient.

I personally need to figure out how to improve cooling due to ambient temp and climate.
Sponsored

Attachments