JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
My hope is that using it regularly is preventing too much carbon from building up, so each cleaning isn’t introducing too much carbon gunk into the combustion cycle.

I also use Lucas fuel system cleaner every oil change, and the car sees nothing but premium fuel.

I also pound the crap out of the car WOT in stock form pretty much daily. At 75k miles now. I’m sure i’ll be prompted for a spark plug change by the maintenance minder before 100k. Curious to see how they’ll look.

Disclaimer: I cannot prove any of this is making a significant impact in engine longevity, but it does make me feel good.:D
Sounds like you’re doing everything you can! I wasn’t particularly worried about it, just mentioning it, but it sounds like you’re already on the right track.
Sponsored

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2022 Civic Si; 1987 Corolla FX16 GT-S
Country flag
It probably does a pretty job on the valves, the only thing to consider is that the cat and the spark plugs might be getting a little gunked up when the carbon is being washed off.
The instructions on the CRC valve cleaner state to perform an Italian tune-up after it sits for 45 minutes. Okay, they did not actually use the term Italian tune-up, but the directions imply it.

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
The instructions on the CRC valve cleaner state to perform an Italian tune-up after it sits for 45 minutes. Okay, they did not actually use the term Italian tune-up, but the directions imply it.
I really only posted that to add perspective to this discussion. Chances are, it will not wind up being a problem. 😎

Learn2turn:)

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW FK8, 2005 S2000, 1995 Miata
Country flag
Our BG rep is here doing induction services as I type this. We discussed a before and after induction service, borescope on my CTR. I only have 4800 miles on it but we will get around to it and I'll post it here.

REC13

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1999 Integra gsr, 2014 Mustang GT
Country flag
I work as an advisor in a busy multi make repair shop. I have personally seen the CRC and Seafoam chemicals work to clear up missfires on direct injection vehicles with caked up intake valves. The key is to do it often as a preventative maintenance and not wait until the valves/intake gets too gunked up. Catch cans do work, but are not an end all be all to this issue.

TripleDeckerPBJ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I've just recently gotten more curious about this for my car. I'm nearing 75k miles, and have started to wonder if our valves ever get caked up much or not. I saw in some threads, that people say the way Honda made these engines, they get some fuel onto the intake valves to help keep them clean (at low rpms/loads iirc?).

But of course, I have no idea how true that may be or not, or what other details may be around to know more about how clean these engines might stay. Sometimes I feel like my car doesn't run *quite* at it's peak, and I wonder how much of this feeling might be based on valve clearance (since I have not yet done the suggested 'valve clearance' check, or whatever my dealership offered), dirty valves, or any other component.

I'd like to hope that our valves are relatively clean even after many miles. But I feel it would be great to know if anyone has seen or documented their valves at any point and found them to be clean or dirty etc. If anything, perhaps chemical cleaners could be a decent option in our cases, but I have no experience with those either and so I don't know how effective they may or may not be.

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 CRX - 2017 FK8 TypeR
Country flag
here are my valves at 77K - tuned FBO for 70K of that :
(intake Cyl 4 and Intake Cyl 1 respectively)

Honda Civic 10th gen Intake manifold / Valve cleaning IMG_20220531_171608_122
Honda Civic 10th gen Intake manifold / Valve cleaning IMG_20220531_171608_168

at this time (around 79K) I have not touched them, nor have ever ran a single cleaner.
but I did make this for when it's time :

Honda Civic 10th gen Intake manifold / Valve cleaning Untitled

Last edited:

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag

IMG_20220531_171608_122.jpg
IMG_20220531_171608_168.jpg

at this time (around 79K) I have not touched them, nor have ever ran a single cleaner.

Untitled.png
Not bad, are you running a catch can?

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 CRX - 2017 FK8 TypeR
Country flag
Not bad, are you running a catch can?
not yet. with my eventual move too much higher boost #s - I might consider it; as that does make difference, higher boost, higher crank-case pressures may necessitate such a move; but it seems the stock-style tuning, as well as a true group IV oil, has allowed me to stay clean (relative of course)

The need for a catch can, and valve cleaning is going to be higher; if you use oil that breaks down quicker, or under high load pressures. (IMO, based on my anecdotal experiences of only 3 FK8s) just because something works, doesn't mean it works well. no preaching though, just my observations.

EDIT: I cannot spell.

Last edited:

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag

IMG_20220531_171608_122.jpg
IMG_20220531_171608_168.jpg

Untitled.png
Thank you for sharing! I have been working on DI engines professionally for about 12 years, and I’ve seen an awful lot of intake valves. Yours are among some of the cleanest I’ve seen at that mileage. Perhaps Honda knows what they’re doing 😉

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
not yet. with my eventual move too much higher boost #s - I might consider it; as that does make difference, higher boost, higher crank-case pressures may necessitate such a move; but it seems the stock-style tuning, as well as a true group IV oil, has allowed me to stay clean (relative of course)

The need for a catch can, and valve cleaning is going to be higher; if you use oil that breaks down quicker, or under high load pressures. (IMO, based on my anecdotal experiences of only 3 FK8s) just because something works, doesn't mean it works well. no preaching though, just my observations.

EDIT: I cannot spell.
Thanks for that! I have the dual radium cans in a box that I haven't installed yet on my otherwise stock car. Good to know that I can hold off until my Hondacare is up.

floareatravis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic ek
Country flag
I've learned one important thing: never wash with detergents. Yes, they wash out food scraps and grease, but it doesn't work with machine oil and other technical dirt. So now I wash the intake valve with water. I like that it's a universal method. Of course, you'll need a strong head of water for a good cleaning. I hope you have a powerful pump or faucet. But even if you don't have anything like that, some companies like Sparkle Wash Central Indiana come with their equipment. They wash out with high water pressure any dirt they're asked to wash off. I've washed not only the intake valve that way, but even the roof of my one-story house, guys. It's good practice. And it's 100% environmentally friendly.
Sponsored