First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2017 Civic Hatch LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I got my Type R last month and expected the 17k price difference between that and my LX to manifest itself in the insurance premium, but insurance on my Type R is cheaper by more than $200/yr?

I looked into it and for some reason Progressive has my VIN locked in as a 2020 Civic. Nothing extra, no sport touring, just a civic. I'm not complaining about the price, but my question is could this come back to bite me in the ass if I someone runs into me?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cat Damon

Cat Damon

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It happens. My Type R has cheaper insurance than what I had when I had my 2018 Si.
Yeah I figure it has to be a pretty common occurrence, but I wasn't sure if anyone has first-hand experience of it becoming a problem after an incident (or also not being a problem).

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My Type R is classified as a regular Civic under USAA.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
had a 1966 pontiac tempest with a 400/turbo 400 (think GTO) that my insurance company had classified as an economy car back around 2000.go figure,i never told them what it was (guided missile)at that time i was having fun chewing up all the new mustangs and camaros i could find with it.

OP
OP
Cat Damon

Cat Damon

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one this has happened to, but has anyone ever had this become an issue after a claim? Like "hey replacing these wheels and brakes is way more expensive than we thought it would be based on your make and model."

If not, I guess that's the answer! :thumbsup:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one this has happened to, but has anyone ever had this become an issue after a claim? Like "hey replacing these wheels and brakes is way more expensive than we thought it would be based on your make and model."

If not, I guess that's the answer! :thumbsup:
Ive had no issues with 2 claims now on mine. Dunno how progressive works but you should be fine. They will know it’s a Type R because of the VIN

OP
OP
Cat Damon

Cat Damon

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ive had no issues with 2 claims now on mine. Dunno how progressive works but you should be fine. They will know it’s a Type R because of the VIN
Glad to hear it wasn't an issue on yours, that makes me less worried. Thanks!

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
As long as the Vin number is correct, what the insurance company classifies the vehicle as (economy, sport car, etc) falls on them. They can’t deny you repairs because it was “more expensive than they thought” because they misclassified your vehicle. You provided them with the vin, what they did with it is on them. Now they can however deny repair costs if it exceeds your coverage.

ShapeLX

First Name
Shape
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle: 2016 Civic EX-T sedan ( replaced w/ 2020 LX Sedan MT :D )
Country flag
LOL Type-R owners are lucky it's 4 door. Here in Canada a 2-Door is automatically more, I bet coupe owners pay more for insurance than CTR owners.

/wants CW 2017/18 CTR, not a hater!! :D

civicsicoupe20

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
LOL Type-R owners are lucky it's 4 door. Here in Canada a 2-Door is automatically more, I bet coupe owners pay more for insurance than CTR owners.

/wants CW 2017/18 CTR, not a hater!! :D
I have a 2020Si coupe and my friend has a 2019 si sedan and I pay less insurance, I'm guessing its because of the Honda sensing they added on 2020 models

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Every coupe I owned always had outrageous insurance prices. When I had my 96 ex my liability insurance was $90 per month back in 2011. When I was selecting 4 door while messing with the insurance website the price shot down to $60. In 2015 I owned a 2003 Hyundai Tiboron gt. $130 a month for liability insurance. My 2013 Hyundai Accent se full coverage was $140 a month. Having extra doors really does drop prices a lot.

Jimmyjambo_fk8

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
So I got my Type R last month and expected the 17k price difference between that and my LX to manifest itself in the insurance premium, but insurance on my Type R is cheaper by more than $200/yr?

I looked into it and for some reason Progressive has my VIN locked in as a 2020 Civic. Nothing extra, no sport touring, just a civic. I'm not complaining about the price, but my question is could this come back to bite me in the ass if I someone runs into me?
I had the same thing happen with my progressive policy. I gave them the vin# as requested, but apparently that's how they insure the car. I was shocked myself. I might reconsider using progressive? I always hear good things about State Farm.
Sponsored