kidshback

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX hatchback
Country flag
I recently purchased a wrecked 2017 Civic LX hatchback to rebuild. The car had front end damage and the steering wheel airbag deployed. I made all of the repairs and the car drives great. My only problem now is the warning lights still lit on the dash. I attempted to clear the codes using a cheap scan tool but no luck. Iā€™ve also tried it with an expense one but the lights are still om.

The lights include the ABS, brake system problem, EPS (electronic power steering), airbag, traction/stability control, check engine and the TPMS. I am at a loss and want to the clear codes so I feel comfortable driving it daily. If anyone can help I would definitely appreciate it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

kidshback

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX hatchback
Country flag
Unfortunately there is nothing showing up in the LCD screen. The computer codes are P0046, U0401, C0051, U3000, and U0416. Iā€™ve checked all of the fuses and they all look good. I tried an expensive code reader and it gave me the same information as my cheap one. Everything Iā€™ve read says it would be very unusual for the ECM to fail. So...Iā€™m running into dead ends.

SiX

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Country flag
Unfortunately there is nothing showing up in the LCD screen. The computer codes are P0046, U0401, C0051, U3000, and U0416. Iā€™ve checked all of the fuses and they all look good. I tried an expensive code reader and it gave me the same information as my cheap one. Everything Iā€™ve read says it would be very unusual for the ECM to fail. So...Iā€™m running into dead ends.
Just a guess, but is it the EDR? The Event Data Recorder is like a blackbox in an airplane and records critical ECU information before the airbags are deployed. It would be conceivable that a major accident would "lock" these values in the ECU to be retrieved by accident investigators. They like to know if you're WOT or applying the brakes...

A number of shady companies offer services to erase these codes, but I can't say if they work or not. There are a number of places to find information on replacing the ECU with a used working unit.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/event-data-recorder-edr.13009/

OP
OP

kidshback

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX hatchback
Country flag
Just a guess, but is it the EDR? The Event Data Recorder is like a blackbox in an airplane and records critical ECU information before the airbags are deployed. It would be conceivable that a major accident would "lock" these values in the ECU to be retrieved by accident investigators. They like to know if you're WOT or applying the brakes...

A number of shady companies offer services to erase these codes, but I can't say if they work or not. There are a number of places to find information on replacing the ECU with a used working unit.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/event-data-recorder-edr.13009/
Since my last post I sent the data recorder in and had the crash data wiped from it. I still have an airbag code for occupant safety sensor needing calibrated. The passenger seat sensor needs zeroed out.

I tried having a shop wipe the ECM but that didnā€™t do anything.

Today I took it to a Honda dealer and their scan tool only picked up the p0046 code. There recommended fix is to replace the turbocharger at a cost of $2500. I may be wrong but I do not believe is gonna fix anything. Service manager said every single indicator lights relates to the turbo. The abs, brake system, airbag, tire pressure and the traction control lights all relate to the turbo. I call BS on that.

Does anyone have any thoughts aside from the dealership is full of sh?t.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
Since my last post I sent the data recorder in and had the crash data wiped from it. I still have an airbag code for occupant safety sensor needing calibrated. The passenger seat sensor needs zeroed out.

I tried having a shop wipe the ECM but that didnā€™t do anything.

Today I took it to a Honda dealer and their scan tool only picked up the p0046 code. There recommended fix is to replace the turbocharger at a cost of $2500. I may be wrong but I do not believe is gonna fix anything. Service manager said every single indicator lights relates to the turbo. The abs, brake system, airbag, tire pressure and the traction control lights all relate to the turbo. I call BS on that.

Does anyone have any thoughts aside from the dealership is full of sh?t.
Does the LX hatchback have a turbo?

First Name
Serge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, Subaru Forester, Audi Q5
Country flag
Hey Kidshback, I bought a 2017 damaged civic ex hatch as well and I have the exact same issue as you. Those lights are on and I cannot figure out what it could be. I was wondering if you ever figured out what the issue was and if you could let me know? Iā€™m at the end of the road here lol

OP
OP

kidshback

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX hatchback
Country flag
Hey Kidshback, I bought a 2017 damaged civic ex hatch as well and I have the exact same issue as you. Those lights are on and I cannot figure out what it could be. I was wondering if you ever figured out what the issue was and if you could let me know? Iā€™m at the end of the road here lol[/QUOTE

Wreckedtoprefect
I kind of solved problem but only short term. During my initial repairs I have the SRS unit reflashed to remove codes related to the crash. Feed up with the indicator lights I took it to another dealer and I spoke at length with the mechanic. He felt the problem was related to the reflashed SRS unit. I purchased a used SRS unit where the airbags did not deploy. It was installed and the lights went off. It was short lived because a week or 2 later they came back on. I scanned the car it showed the right front wheel speed sensor was bad. I replaced it and it did not take care of the problem. So I am sort of back to square one. Going to trace wires from speed sensor to see if there is a short in the wire. Next step may be the ABS unit which is very expensive for a hunch.

First Name
Serge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, Subaru Forester, Audi Q5
Country flag
Okay, for some odd reason my head would always think to try and buy a used SRS unit to give that a shot. I will try it and see what happens because I also got mine reflashed.
I donā€™t know about your ABS unit because I got mine replaced at the dealer (with warranty) and nothing happened. So I talked to some people and they told me that sometimes the dealer says they replaced the ABS unit but never actually did. So then I bought one off a junk yard with a car that was hit in the rear only to make sure that the front end was okay, I replaced it and the lights stayed on. So then I took the ABS unit and I returned it to the yard. I would recommend maybe you doing the same, maybe your ABS unit is malfunctioning for some odd reason.
I will let you know what happens with my SRS unit when I get a new one in. Let me know how that ABS unit goes.
Wishing that I wouldā€™ve invested my money into something else right about now

sawixso81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CIVIC SI
Country flag
Any fix for this, just hit a deer today insurance is taking over smashed front bumper and lights,grill,but getting it fixed so will see what happens after car is only got 11000 on it no issues other than having a jacked up face lol

OP
OP

kidshback

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX hatchback
Country flag
If you hit a deer and no airbags went off then I would hope you would not have like a Christmas tree in your dash. The reason I say this is because I have two different ā€˜17 Civic hatchbacks I purchased wrecked. One the steering wheel airbag went off and the other one none went off. Once I got the radar unit calibrated in the one where no airbags deployed everything has been fine. Iā€™m still fighting the other one. I tried reflashing the SRS unit and it did not help. If an airbag went off I would go with a new SRS unit so there are no questions about it. If the lights are on in the dash I would first check all of the fuses, especially the fuses blocks under the hood. I read about one of the fuse blocks blowing in a crash and youā€™ll end up with multiple lights on. Let me know if you have any luck.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From past experience... I could short portions on the OBD2 port of an RSX that was given to me and eventually flipped to clear SRS related codes (I'm not saying to do that on this car!) once I'd gotten it up to snuff.

The issue with that car has been the belt pretensioners... as the airbags never deployed... but a pretensioners got .. er .. expended.

Just throwing it ought there as something to check. If it was in an accident, good chance they went on seats with occupants in then.

sawixso81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CIVIC SI
Country flag
If you hit a deer and no airbags went off then I would hope you would not have like a Christmas tree in your dash. The reason I say this is because I have two different ā€˜17 Civic hatchbacks I purchased wrecked. One the steering wheel airbag went off and the other one none went off. Once I got the radar unit calibrated in the one where no airbags deployed everything has been fine. Iā€™m still fighting the other one. I tried reflashing the SRS unit and it did not help. If an airbag went off I would go with a new SRS unit so there are no questions about it. If the lights are on in the dash I would first check all of the fuses, especially the fuses blocks under the hood. I read about one of the fuse blocks blowing in a crash and youā€™ll end up with multiple lights on. Let me know if you have any luck.
Correct no air bag deployed but I do have an emission error,hill assist,power steering,VSA, maybe one more it goes to a body shop Monday to replace the parts, cant open the hood at the moment because not sure if it will lock again lol
Car is driveable think its is in some kind of limp mode though.

Honda Civic 10th gen Instrument cluster lights after crash 20190802_065243

Honda Civic 10th gen Instrument cluster lights after crash 20190802_061728