Instrument Cluster Lens

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Kind of an odd question here but figured I'd see if anyone knew the answer.

The lens on the instrument cluster, aka the plastic covering, is always one of the most notoriously easy parts of the car to scratch. Even if you look at it the wrong way, they seem to start looking beat up in a hurry, and can't be polished out due to the antireflective coating. I've replaced them once or twice in the past on other cars (usually pretty easy and cheap) but can't really seem to figure out if it's possible to do on this one. At first glance, the lens seems to be attached to the outer trim piece, part # 77206-TBA-A10ZA, a pretty easy swap as it's just a trim piece. However, the more I look at diagrams, the more it looks as though it may be part of the actual cluster itself, part # 77100-TBA-A10ZA, which really isn't user serviceable as it requires reprogramming the new cluster.

Thoughts on anyone that's poked around there a bit or knows how Honda usually puts things together?
Sponsored

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
If you're really concerned about it you can buy some clear film to put over it and cut it to size. You can get 1' by 3' rolls for under $5-10, a lot cheaper than replacing the whole part.

Edit: just found this, will probably buy it myself and add it the instrument cluster myself and the top of the rear bumper.

OP
OP

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
To anyone curious, looked in to this a bit more. The lens is available for purchase separately from everything else and is part number 78156-TBC-A01 for around $15. Seems pretty easy to replace too, take the dash trim piece off and a couple of clips to remove the lens itself.
Honda Civic 10th gen Instrument Cluster Lens sysErR

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
To anyone curious, looked in to this a bit more. The lens is available for purchase separately from everything else and is part number 78156-TBC-A01 for around $15. Seems pretty easy to replace too, take the dash trim piece off and a couple of clips to remove the lens itself.
Honda Civic 10th gen Instrument Cluster Lens sysErR
At that price its not even worth spending the time to cut a film to protect it, good to know thanks!

mycivicisalemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring

The lens on the instrument cluster, aka the plastic covering, is always one of the most notoriously easy parts of the car to scratch. Even if you look at it the wrong way, they seem to start looking beat up in a hurry, and can't be polished out due to the antireflective coating. I've replaced them once or twice in the past on other cars (usually pretty easy and cheap) but can't really seem to figure out if it's possible to do on this one. At first glance, the lens seems to be attached to the outer trim piece, part # 77206-TBA-A10ZA, a pretty easy swap as it's just a trim piece. However, the more I look at diagrams, the more it looks as though it may be part of the actual cluster itself, part # 77100-TBA-A10ZA, which really isn't user serviceable as it requires reprogramming the new cluster.

Thoughts on anyone that's poked around there a bit or knows how Honda usually puts things together?
Honda won't spend the extra $0.15 to pay for tougher plastics. Welcome to the truth at Honda

mycivicisalemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring

Wax the lens with the same stuff for the headlamp. That will rid of most light scratches and leave a wax coating protection for when you dust it. The plastic they have chosen for our cars is so cheap that even a light dusting will scratch it.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Honda won't spend the extra $0.15 to pay for tougher plastics. Welcome to the truth at Honda
You have been bashing Honda for their "cost-cutting" at every possible opportunity. Did they do something personally to you that you took this initiative?

Most MY1 cars will have issues; also you seem to be under the impression that Honda cut corners everywhere to maximize profits and bend over the customers - have you thought about the alternative, where they removed some things in order to add others while still remaining competitive, or ahead of the competition?

FUBAR425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
My dealership actually scratched my gauge cluster when they were detailing my car (probably used the same rag for the whole car). I bought Novus 1 & 2 to buff the minor scratches out and it worked amazing. Very cheap on amazon, around $8. Novus #2 is the scratch remover and #1 is a polish after you buff the scratches.

mycivicisalemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
You have been bashing Honda for their "cost-cutting" at every possible opportunity. Did they do something personally to you that you took this initiative?

Most MY1 cars will have issues; also you seem to be under the impression that Honda cut corners everywhere to maximize profits and bend over the customers - have you thought about the alternative, where they removed some things in order to add others while still remaining competitive, or ahead of the competition?
Brother I love this car if it had no issues like the '15 Civic I traded in for this POS. I never bashed Honda prior to this current purchase. I never even registered to this forum with my '15. I am here to show all the red flags that have arisen with their new model. I am sorry if I offended you like if I was bashing one of your loved ones but you have to understand I am pissed off cause I feel I got ripped off. I can compare a '15 to a '16...can you? No? Then listen instead of getting offended. This '16 has a much poorer quality than the previous generation. The price is the same so the money for the extra features had to come from somewhere...and that is cause they cut their cost from their materials or parts suppliers.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
lol, you're the one talking like Honda murdered your puppies by cost cutting.

I'm not disagreeing with you, they certainly did cut costs - but it didn't result in an unfinished vehicle that you're making it out to be in all of your posts.

And why'd you even bother trading in a car that's only a year old, that's been so reliable? Serious question, I'm curious.

najama2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 LX sensing
Did you end up replacing the lens on your own? How easy/difficult was it? Thanks.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
What they should've done was make the lens curve towards the driver instead. That is, the bottom of the lens would be farther away than the top, so dust doesn't even settle on the lens in the first place.

That's how my EP3's instrument cluster lens was shaped. Never got dusty, and never had glare, either. If the new one could be modified the same way, I'd be all about it.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
What they should've done was make the lens curve towards the driver instead. That is, the bottom of the lens would be farther away than the top, so dust doesn't even settle on the lens in the first place.

That's how my EP3's instrument cluster lens was shaped. Never got dusty, and never had glare, either. If the new one could be modified the same way, I'd be all about it.
My Mazda lens was built like that. I LOVE my Si, but what was Honda thinking?

Howard

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’ve got a 2020 and this issue as well. Looks like they cleaned the lens with the rag that they used on the rest of the car. The lens looks like the shiny coating is wiped off. What’s the solution?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I’ve got a 2020 and this issue as well. Looks like they cleaned the lens with the rag that they used on the rest of the car. The lens looks like the shiny coating is wiped off. What’s the solution?
I'd use Maguire's PlastX plastic polish. (they apparently also have a motorcycle plastic cleaner/polish now)

I'm pretty sure the plastic was uncoated to begin with, so although they scratched the fuck outta yours, it should be simple to fix.

Still doesn't improve the original design, though, IMO.
Sponsored